LC Model (2018-present)

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-18, 03:26 PM
fauxphotog
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Adonael
I just feel like you're acting like a brat. Bedding is common knowledge, I have always done it every time I change my own pads. Yes, it should already be done on a newly delivered car sure, but after that are you really going to trust somebody else to go out in your car and do it, and where's the hassle exactly? Oh no, you get to go out for 10 or 20 minutes once every pad change and drive this incredible machine even more? The horror! Why, you'll have to wipe your schedule for the next month to accomplish such a feat! You feel faint at the suggestion, such is the inconvenience! Where's that hyperventilation bag?
You have your way of doing things, I have mine. Doesn't mean that you're correct or im correct. If you don't feel its an inconvenience to you, than so be it. I got rid of mine, so in all honesty it doesn't matter anymore. My post began with concerns, then when I saw that Lexus wasn't doing everything possible to correct the matter, I just decided to jump ships. Maybe they'll correct the issue this coming year. I just for warn anyone trying to get the car, that the issues are real, and are very known by Lexus. Most guys that do get this car, get it as their GT Sunday cruiser, and I dont think its fair that they have to deal with the hassle of having to hear brake noise. But hey what do I know, im just being a brat right?
Old 02-27-18, 05:33 PM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by WarrenRB
If you think MB E63S is comparable to LC500, you may wonder what brake is favored by E63 owners.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-556miles.html
Related:
Mercedes AMG C63S 'Don't Buy' Warning (the truth about un-fixable AMG brake squeal)

Old 02-28-18, 08:16 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Pretty funny video. A lot of Truth in it as well though!

V.
Old 02-28-18, 08:30 AM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Adonael
I just feel like you're acting like a brat. Bedding is common knowledge, I have always done it every time I change my own pads. Yes, it should already be done on a newly delivered car sure, but after that are you really going to trust somebody else to go out in your car and do it, and where's the hassle exactly? Oh no, you get to go out for 10 or 20 minutes once every pad change and drive this incredible machine even more? The horror! Why, you'll have to wipe your schedule for the next month to accomplish such a feat! You feel faint at the suggestion, such is the inconvenience! Where's that hyperventilation bag?
ROTFL. Maybe he should get a Nissan Versa the brakes don't have any squeal ever.
Old 03-01-18, 08:50 AM
RacingBrake
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Most high performance and heavy cars like NIssan GTR, MB C63/E63, BMW M5, car mfgrs must equip a comparable brake set up to deal with the heat converted from the kinetic energy. Typically you will see a big/thick rotor and large pad, on top of that the pads are more "performance" focused which means dusting (default) and squeaking (varied) are "kind" of nature for an OEM equipped brake set up.

Car mfgrs' position is annoying is still better than sorry, correction to squeaking is possible (including re-bedding, grease etc.) but not always work. Unless a brake compound is changed, it's more of a luck (yours+ dealers) to accomplish this not so easy task.

I can understand the frustration from those having the squeaking issue but if you really like the car you probably shouldn't be discouraged and give up because of the annoyed squeaking, work with dealer or seeking for aftermarket solution, and before you can resolve the issue just think, at least people know "I am driving a high performance car". Especially if the car is new people know it's car mfgr's to be blamed not you, and things should get iron out as time goes by because you hardly will hear an old/used car squeak.
Old 03-05-18, 03:47 PM
RacingBrake
Former Sponsor

OE Brake System under analysis:

400mm rotor under OE caliper

OE pad that's causing all the squeaking trouble?
Old 03-06-18, 08:15 AM
jonez
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 59 Posts

I read through this entire thread and can relate to a lot of posts in here as I had a similar problem on my GS F. Literally 1K miles after I bought it, I had very loud squeals and was embarrassed to stop at intersections with people as they would look over to see who's car was making the ear raping sound. I tried bedding in the brakes twice, which did work, however they were only temporary fixes and between a few weeks to a month later, the noise would appear. I tried frequent washes as well but, again, only a temporary fix and much less so than bedding. The constant brake dust only exacerbated the problem because even after spending the time to wash the wheels (which are not easy to clean), just 1 day in stop and go traffic and all the work i did to clean them was reversed. I tried wheel wax that reduces the amount of dust that sticks, which helped somewhat but not enough to my satisfaction.

The dealership gave me the same response as others here that these are high performance brakes and I told them I'm embarrassed to be in a 90K car approaching a stop light as the sound is so loud. No one hears brake squeals and says "oh that must be a sports car". The rep nodded his head and gave me a look like "yeah you're right". I knew he agreed with me but his hands were tied.

A few months later I learned about the TSB on the brake pads in the RC F forums and immediately had them swap out mine. I've had no squeals and significantly less dust though my braking power has suffered some. Next brake change I will do myself and find some alternative pads that have less dust, no squeals but better braking power.

I understand the viewpoint of some of those who may look at this thread and say "it's just brakes, that's a minor inconvenience if everything else is working fine", which is true. However those people also need to understand that it's not necessarily emotion or overreaction but simply some people strictly stick to principles - the main principle here is, you spend a lot of money on something and included in that premium should be the elimination of issues like this. Even if this were to happen when buying an economy car under 18K, the principle would still be there, but perhaps not garner the reaction it does on 90-100K cars.

In the end, Lexus will find a fix and issue a LSB for replacement pads, it will just take time. If your voice has gone to corporate and others continue to do the same, that will ensure this gets done and perhaps accelerate it Some of the people who have LCs will be willing to wait and temporarily compromise on the principle, others will not and will sell theirs and go elsewhere. I agree with the principle I mentioned above, but I ended up waiting for 6 months with brake squeals that would give me goosebumps, hoping to find a fix because i love driving this car.
The following 2 users liked this post by jonez:
fauxphotog (03-08-18), VVTiBob (03-06-18)
Old 03-06-18, 05:56 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Sometimes the “Relentless Pursuit of Perfection” needs a swift kick in the ***. Otherwise complacency tends to creep in and ruin it for all.
Old 03-06-18, 07:28 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

jonez,

A few months later I learned about the TSB on the brake pads in the RC F forums and immediately had them swap out mine. I've had no squeals...
Just wondering - did YOU have to pay for this change?
Old 03-07-18, 12:13 AM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have noticed that the noise increases and appears sooner (20-0mph) when temperatures are around 0°C (32°F in freedom units). Once temps climb above 5°C (41°F), the squeal becomes quieter and tends to set in right before coming to a stop, especially when braking gently.

Last edited by Hoppean; 03-07-18 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-07-18, 02:12 AM
jonez
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by BobBass
jonez,

Just wondering - did YOU have to pay for this change?
not a dime I just had to drive it in, they replaced the brake pads for free, including labor
The following users liked this post:
BobBass (03-07-18)
Old 03-08-18, 08:22 AM
fauxphotog
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jonez
I read through this entire thread and can relate to a lot of posts in here as I had a similar problem on my GS F. Literally 1K miles after I bought it, I had very loud squeals and was embarrassed to stop at intersections with people as they would look over to see who's car was making the ear raping sound. I tried bedding in the brakes twice, which did work, however they were only temporary fixes and between a few weeks to a month later, the noise would appear. I tried frequent washes as well but, again, only a temporary fix and much less so than bedding. The constant brake dust only exacerbated the problem because even after spending the time to wash the wheels (which are not easy to clean), just 1 day in stop and go traffic and all the work i did to clean them was reversed. I tried wheel wax that reduces the amount of dust that sticks, which helped somewhat but not enough to my satisfaction.

The dealership gave me the same response as others here that these are high performance brakes and I told them I'm embarrassed to be in a 90K car approaching a stop light as the sound is so loud. No one hears brake squeals and says "oh that must be a sports car". The rep nodded his head and gave me a look like "yeah you're right". I knew he agreed with me but his hands were tied.

A few months later I learned about the TSB on the brake pads in the RC F forums and immediately had them swap out mine. I've had no squeals and significantly less dust though my braking power has suffered some. Next brake change I will do myself and find some alternative pads that have less dust, no squeals but better braking power.

I understand the viewpoint of some of those who may look at this thread and say "it's just brakes, that's a minor inconvenience if everything else is working fine", which is true. However those people also need to understand that it's not necessarily emotion or overreaction but simply some people strictly stick to principles - the main principle here is, you spend a lot of money on something and included in that premium should be the elimination of issues like this. Even if this were to happen when buying an economy car under 18K, the principle would still be there, but perhaps not garner the reaction it does on 90-100K cars.

In the end, Lexus will find a fix and issue a LSB for replacement pads, it will just take time. If your voice has gone to corporate and others continue to do the same, that will ensure this gets done and perhaps accelerate it Some of the people who have LCs will be willing to wait and temporarily compromise on the principle, others will not and will sell theirs and go elsewhere. I agree with the principle I mentioned above, but I ended up waiting for 6 months with brake squeals that would give me goosebumps, hoping to find a fix because i love driving this car.

Epic Response. Glad you were able to get yours fixed with the method described.
The following 2 users liked this post by fauxphotog:
Oilman (04-03-18), RichKeagy (03-31-18)
Old 03-29-18, 02:53 PM
RacingBrake
Former Sponsor

Analysis on fitment between OE pad (Akebono) and caliper (Advics) has been done.

Tooling is in progress and a brake pad with improved design on backing plate, and lining formula will be made available in about 4-6 weeks.

We expect this RB brake pad (with XT910 compound) shall eliminate all the issues and complaints mentioned in this topic, and assure you, against conventional wisdom; or what Lexus dealers want you to acknowledge before purchase, that a high performance brake pad can still be quiet and low dust, which we have effectively proved it in various communities notably in Acura, EVO, STi, Nissan GT-R, and Mercedes. Our pads use no shims, brake paste etc. - Same as we build our brake system or components, simply a better design with proper material.

Announcement will be made when the pad become available, we would need some volunteers (regardless whether you have squeaking issue or not) to test these pads to see how different they are vs. OE pads.
Old 04-02-18, 04:17 PM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I doubt this will make anyone feel better, but I was watching an episode of Grand Tour, and Jeremy, who was driving a 400 hp audi tt, came to a slow stop at the edge of some water, and the audi brakes squealed to a stop,
Old 04-02-18, 07:33 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Sometimes the “Relentless Pursuit of Perfection” needs a swift kick in the ***. Otherwise complacency tends to creep in and ruin it for all.
Well said!

Quick Reply: Brakes