DD supercharged ISF good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-19, 06:17 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Good points from both of you^^^.
One of the best purchased I've ever made was my 02 5sp IS300 for around $16k in 2006! Been SOOOOOO reliable and fairly cheap to maintain. 13 years and I MIGHT have $3k in maintenance in it...and it has 220k miles on i bought with around 50k miles on it), FBO, safe, fun, etc. Money well spent/saved. Nothing like having other vehicles to drive when you have a nicer vehicle for the weekend, etc👍

V.
Why not drive both lol? I am the original owner of an 02 IS300. 17 years and almost 140k miles. Unscheduled maintenance has been absolutely next to nothing on the car. Finally had my first engine "issue" after about 16 years and 9 months - the radiator finally gave out. No other unscheduled engine repairs whatsoever. And over those 17 years, I have driven it hard, autocrossed it, put it through 3 teenage drivers with year round driving in the Ohio sun, rain and snow. No rust on the car except the OEM wheels.

It is what got me to upgrade to an ISF! I have had the F for 5 years and driven 70k miles also year round in all types of weather plus about 8 track days and the occasional drag race. ZERO issues on this car as well (except the amount of money spent on mods lol). This is why we buy these cars - reliability and fun. Now if I could just save enough for a S/C.......
Old 03-01-19, 12:52 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

You should drive that car more. My Supra has 156k miles and my IS F has 166k miles. Quit slacking and drive the car!
Old 03-01-19, 06:17 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

If i lived in a better climate, I would probably drive the F year round, but I still would not daily it. I bought an 08 IS350 2 years ago (almost) for 16k. It had 38k on the clock and was mint. I plan to spend about that every 10-15 years on a daily. Financially it makes a lot of since versus buying a 40-60k car every 10 years. I bought one expensive car and it should last me literally as long as a I want it too.

This is also related to my personality though. I watched people make bad financial decisions and end up never getting to retire in life. I learned at a young age that smart financial decisions early leads to major rewards later in life. I won’t buy another expensive car until I own a paid off home.

Back on topic, from what I have read, I think an ISF, supercharged, will be reliable if well maintained and not beaten non stop. It is also safer to tune it on E85, but fuel economy will be abysmal. Rafi has beaten the heck out of his with no major failures, which is a testament. Just use common sense. I would not expect it to go 200k with a supercharger without some higher end work, but that is pure speculation. Maybe if that is mostly cruising at highway, it’ll be fine.
Old 03-01-19, 09:11 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil

I drag race mine, so it gets used.... but I don’t see the point in putting 60 miles a day on it in the salty, pot hole filled roads.
This is the main reason I bought mine and describes my commute to a T. Fun and reliable enough to beat on and race and mod, comfortable enough to take the crappy roads of DC/Baltimore with a 50 mile round trip commute, and just cheap enough that I don't mind running it in salt and snow and even driving on the beach in Daytona. I just use the touchless car wash 3-4x a week and my underneath is spotless and free from rust still. Freaking love this car and have happily put 60k on it in the past 2.2 years.

In my eyes, most anyone who has an F bought it for the reliability as a factor. To put an SC on it but then put it away makes less sense to me than just getting a Hellcat or modding an F80/AMG. Sure, rarity and pushing the platform, but all can get above 550whp easy but I guess my question would be, is an SC ISF more reliable to daily than an FBO/tune AMG/M3/M5/CTSV?
Old 03-01-19, 11:48 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 342 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You should drive that car more. My Supra has 156k miles and my IS F has 166k miles. Quit slacking and drive the car!
I agree. I drive my car every time like it’s going to be my last.
The following users liked this post:
Vitveet (04-15-20)
Old 03-01-19, 11:50 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
is an SC ISF more reliable to daily than an FBO/tune AMG/M3/M5/CTSV?
Good point! I would like to know as well seeing a FBO C63 Amg is no slouch.
Old 03-05-19, 04:53 PM
SCORP69
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

for any boosted application, it's all in the tune. you just can't have a canned tune and call it a day. data logging is required to make fine tuning adjustments. of course a dyno tune locally would be preferred. I DD my 01 F150 Lightning running 91 Octane with no issues, I have the most common bolt on's.
Old 04-12-20, 05:13 PM
Patton6964
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

Bumping this thread. Any updates from you peeps with SC kit? I'm considering doing the kit myself and wanted more feedback.

How is the kit holding up? How many miles have you put on the kit now? What have you done for maintenance?

Excited for some updates!
Old 04-12-20, 09:14 PM
Scott610
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts

Guest I’m late to this thread or missed it . I actually use to daily my supercharged isf for year but not in the snow or rain. I had another car for the bad wheather. it’s just too addicting to drive it ,well for me it is lol . I never get tired of it .haven't gone through any crazy Repairs since I’ve install and own the supercharger kit . But just keep a eye on boost if it’s a leak or if somthing just came loose . Got to make shure everything is tight . I keep forgetting what stage I am if someone wants to chime in lol . I have the supercharger kit(not street kit) tuned blend for E85 ,sikky headers , no cats-borla y pipe and rr racing quad magnaflow exhaust
The following 2 users liked this post by Scott610:
idoke1 (04-13-20), RRRacing (04-13-20)
Old 04-14-20, 08:13 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpowered

I definitely agree with the free revving the car in neutral/park. I always let me car warm up to temp before I even start moving so around 5 minutes. During that time I mostly settle in and try to find what station or music I want to listen to. I’m never in a rush to just jump in and leave when the car is cold.
It's been documented for many many years you shouldn't sit parked idling waiting for you car get up to temp. All your doing is wasting fuel as well potentially allowing extra fuel into combustion chamber that can get into your cylinder walls. Gasoline is solvent if it mixes with oil it breaks down your oil shortening life of oil. Also you are not warming up transmission fluid either by just sitting idling. When you start your car, once idle kicks down or about 30 just drive off keep your revs below 3k or Just drive normally until car warms up. Now if its really cold out it will take longer for car to warm up, but It will warm up faster while moving it doesn't matter if you live in Florida or Minnesota it's the same thing winter or summer.
The following users liked this post:
017sebasty (04-15-20)
Old 04-14-20, 09:02 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Sort of. I was stationed on Crete, so yes it was an island for sure. There was a nice stretch of road where I could hit 156 mph every day for the entire summer of 1988. Good times.
The FJ11 was bad *** bike so versatile you could cruise all day long on it, road race or turn into drag bike one of my favorite bike from 80's. Back in 1988 I had my GSX R750 Gixxer while stationed in Okinawa Japan. My first street bike was 550GPZ back in 82, then in 1985 600R Ninja. I moved to Gixxer in1988. Those were fun times.
Old 04-14-20, 09:07 AM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by Weapon F
It's been documented for many many years you shouldn't sit parked idling waiting for you car get up to temp. All your doing is wasting fuel as well potentially allowing extra fuel into combustion chamber that can get into your cylinder walls. Gasoline is solvent if it mixes with oil it breaks down your oil shortening life of oil. Also you are not warming up transmission fluid either by just sitting idling. When you start your car, once idle kicks down or about 30 just drive off keep your revs below 3k or Just drive normally until car warms up. Now if its really cold out it will take longer for car to warm up, but It will warm up faster while moving it doesn't matter if you live in Florida or Minnesota it's the same thing winter or summer.
Will you please share this documentation?
Old 04-14-20, 09:45 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by Weapon F
You are right. Found this a while ago shortly after I wrote that. Love how informative his channel is.
Old 04-14-20, 01:24 PM
Jwconeil

Thanks for sharing. I didn’t know that.
Old 04-14-20, 02:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

I put a load on the engine as soon as I have oil pressure. No waiting for nothing. You'll get up to temp as fast as possible by putting a light load on the engine while the oil is cold. I have a 25 mph speed limit in my neighborhood, so my first 2 miles is low speed, low load, but definitely with enough oil pressure to ensure I don't damage bearings. There is nothing worse for an engine than idling. Nothing. On initial start, I never let the rpm drop below 2000. Ever.

Quick Reply: DD supercharged ISF good idea?