IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

DD supercharged ISF good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 09:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Spinning up the engine with no load isn't a big deal. Not wise, but not terribly harmful. It's operating at high rpm under load that wears rings much faster.
Old 02-24-19, 01:40 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 342 Likes on 216 Posts

Is it only one guy DD’s his supercharged ISF? Are all the others garage queens?
Old 02-24-19, 03:27 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
Is it only one guy DD’s his supercharged ISF? Are all the others garage queens?
I'm wondering the same thing. Also, especially interested in hearing from those who fuel their supercharged Isfs solely with usdm 91 - 93 octane E10, as E30 is not readily available where I live.

Old 02-24-19, 03:41 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by tas02
I'm wondering the same thing. Also, especially interested in hearing from those who fuel their supercharged Isfs solely with usdm 91 - 93 octane E10, as E30 is not readily available where I live.
Same here especially for users who only use 91.
Old 02-24-19, 03:44 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

92 here in western Wash, but my cousin in Alameda has a tesla p90D that i need to go run, so into Cali 91 as well.
Old 02-24-19, 03:46 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

92 here in western Wash, but my cousin in Alameda has a tesla p90D that i need to go run, so into Cali 91 as well.
Dig or roll race? If it’s a dig race your going to lose badly. From a roll you have a better chance but those p90d are no joke.
Old 02-24-19, 03:59 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

I've driven it and also viewed 'em on the Tesla racing channel. I'd make sure it's a roll from 70 mph or better. Electrics inherently make max. torque @ lower rpm. Notta newbie.
Old 02-24-19, 04:02 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

I've driven it and also viewed 'em on the Tesla racing channel. I'd make sure it's a roll from 70 mph or better. Electrics inherently make max. torque @ lower rpm. Notta newbie.
70 roll? 😂
Old 02-25-19, 12:26 PM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

I know a local ISF and RCF that are supercharged, but they mostly drive on nice days or track it every now and then. Most others I see on the FB groups leave it for nice days and "daily" it 5k a year. So far I've yet to see anyone really put some miles on the setups(i.e. 20k+ a year). I will say I've driven the SC RCF and it is pretty darn fast, but it's the highest HP car I've driven so take that with a grain of salt lol.
Old 02-25-19, 12:56 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
I know a local ISF and RCF that are supercharged, but they mostly drive on nice days or track it every now and then. Most others I see on the FB groups leave it for nice days and "daily" it 5k a year. So far I've yet to see anyone really put some miles on the setups(i.e. 20k+ a year). I will say I've driven the SC RCF and it is pretty darn fast, but it's the highest HP car I've driven so take that with a grain of salt lol.
Yeah same here. A bunch of SC ISF garage queens lol.
Old 02-27-19, 06:35 PM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Yeah same here. A bunch of SC ISF garage queens lol.
This is mostly what you will find. If you can afford 10-13k for a supercharger, plus 3-5k in supporting mods, plus 5k in other mods, you can afford a winter car / mileage car of some sort... even if just a beater. That’s a massive investment, might as well keep the miles down.

plus id hate to have 20k plus in mods and get nailed just driving to work by someone doing their hair.
Old 02-27-19, 08:05 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jwconeil

This is mostly what you will find. If you can afford 10-13k for a supercharger, plus 3-5k in supporting mods, plus 5k in other mods, you can afford a winter car / mileage car of some sort... even if just a beater. That’s a massive investment, might as well keep the miles down.

plus id hate to have 20k plus in mods and get nailed just driving to work by someone doing their hair.
Well I have a different point of view. Me on the other hand would want to drive it all the time. I have a hot wife I want to plow it everyday all day since I wouldn’t want to leave it tight for the next guy if you get my drift lol. For the car it would be the same way. What if it wasn’t the car that got wrecked and it was you in your beater and ended up getting killed because of some other dumb idiot that T boned you. Now you just left the next guy a mint condition ISF that is low mileage and supercharged. I’ll take a guess at how the next guy might treat that car seeing he didn’t do all the work and doesn’t appreciate it like you would but in that case you would be dead and never really enjoyed it. I DD my FBO ISF and I give that car HELL and I love it! Wouldn’t want it any other way.
Old 02-28-19, 04:11 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Well I have a different point of view. Me on the other hand would want to drive it all the time. I have a hot wife I want to plow it everyday all day since I wouldn’t want to leave it tight for the next guy if you get my drift lol. For the car it would be the same way. What if it wasn’t the car that got wrecked and it was you in your beater and ended up getting killed because of some other dumb idiot that T boned you. Now you just left the next guy a mint condition ISF that is low mileage and supercharged. I’ll take a guess at how the next guy might treat that car seeing he didn’t do all the work and doesn’t appreciate it like you would but in that case you would be dead and never really enjoyed it. I DD my FBO ISF and I give that car HELL and I love it! Wouldn’t want it any other way.
My daily drivers are just as safe as my ISF, and I would hope everyone elses are as well. I also plan to keep my F indefinitely. Even though it’s a Lexus, it’ll still die and rust like all cars with excessive use. It’s not about preserving it for the next guy, it’s about keeping it long term for me. I drag race mine, so it gets used.... but I don’t see the point in putting 60 miles a day on it in the salty, pot hole filled roads. Whenever I die, my best friend inherits it anyway. My final gift to a good friend.

I don’t want to spend another 40 grand on a car and then dump 20-40 into it every 10 years because it’s worn out.... I’ll do that once, and then buy another IS350 once every 10-15 years. It’s way more economical long term. I plan to retire early, so I try to keep finances at a certain level. Plus I’m **** about the F... my 350 has an abusive life in Indiana.

In the end, it’s all just preference. Enjoy your F!
The following users liked this post:
BirgeyT1 (02-28-19)
Old 02-28-19, 06:19 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jwconeil

My daily drivers are just as safe as my ISF, and I would hope everyone elses are as well. I also plan to keep my F indefinitely. Even though it’s a Lexus, it’ll still die and rust like all cars with excessive use. It’s not about preserving it for the next guy, it’s about keeping it long term for me. I drag race mine, so it gets used.... but I don’t see the point in putting 60 miles a day on it in the salty, pot hole filled roads. Whenever I die, my best friend inherits it anyway. My final gift to a good friend.

I don’t want to spend another 40 grand on a car and then dump 20-40 into it every 10 years because it’s worn out.... I’ll do that once, and then buy another IS350 once every 10-15 years. It’s way more economical long term. I plan to retire early, so I try to keep finances at a certain level. Plus I’m **** about the F... my 350 has an abusive life in Indiana.

In the end, it’s all just preference. Enjoy your F!
Yeah I wouldn’t drive the ISF on salty roads. I live in the desert in SoCal so no chance of that here. With how dry it is I see no chance of rust any time soon. If I lived near the beach then yes it would rust a lot faster.
Old 02-28-19, 08:18 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Good points from both of you^^^.
One of the best purchased I've ever made was my 02 5sp IS300 for around $16k in 2006! Been SOOOOOO reliable and fairly cheap to maintain. 13 years and I MIGHT have $3k in maintenance in it...and it has 220k miles on i bought with around 50k miles on it), FBO, safe, fun, etc. Money well spent/saved. Nothing like having other vehicles to drive when you have a nicer vehicle for the weekend, etc👍

V.
The following users liked this post:
BirgeyT1 (02-28-19)

Quick Reply: DD supercharged ISF good idea?