IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Electrical problem? Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-19, 10:48 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpowered

interesting I replaced my starter because it was starting to just click when I tried starting it and just for safety measures due to age and mileage I changed my alternator and that’s when all my problems started.
The only thing the starter and the battery have to do with each other is that they both have 12v going to them..... nothing else. So was no need in changing the alternator just because the starter was bad. Like saying "I changed my tires out, so for prevenatprev measures, I changed my headlights bulbs as well", lol.
Alternator charges the battery, that's it.
Did you replace the starter and alt with factory parts or off brand units? Connections super tight at both? If you can twist any connection with your hand, no matter how much force you use, it's too loose.
With all that said, your problem seems to be your battery, like others have said.

V.
Old 02-09-19, 12:06 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 342 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
The only thing the starter and the battery have to do with each other is that they both have 12v going to them..... nothing else. So was no need in changing the alternator just because the starter was bad. Like saying "I changed my tires out, so for prevenatprev measures, I changed my headlights bulbs as well", lol.
Alternator charges the battery, that's it.
Did you replace the starter and alt with factory parts or off brand units? Connections super tight at both? If you can twist any connection with your hand, no matter how much force you use, it's too loose.
With all that said, your problem seems to be your battery, like others have said.

V.
Since I was already in there I figured why not replace the alternator. I knew it had nothing to do with my starter clicking several times before finally being able to start. Both starter and alternator with Denso OEM parts. Can’t twist any connections it’s all tight. I actually bought a battery but haven’t installed it yet. Yesterday I attempted again to start the car and all it does now is start turning over then lose all power for about a minute and then all power comes back. Did it three times in a row and I just gave up and picked up a new battery. Just been to busy to install.
Old 02-09-19, 12:08 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rickna
Quick thought-the park switch...?
Haven’t checked yet but I just purchased a new battery and see if that changes anything.
Old 02-09-19, 03:50 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Well I just installed the battery and car instantly started up. I’m taking it for like a 2-3 hour drive with stops tonight so let’s see how it goes. On start up nothing hesitated or anything I have no doubt it was the battery. CRAZY how sensitive this car is with a problematic battery. Would have never guessed a car showing good voltage would cause so many electrical gremlins to pop up.
Old 02-09-19, 08:13 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Just got back home I stopped at least 7 times and started up so quickly and without a studder or anything. Never seen or experienced a car act out so much over a bad battery. Wonder what happened to the battery seeing it wasn’t even two years old.
Old 02-10-19, 11:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Glad to hear the problem is solved. A sulfated cell will vex you. AMHIK.
Old 02-11-19, 07:59 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Glad to hear the problem is solved. A sulfated cell will vex you. AMHIK.
Thanks. I can see that now. When I tested it though it checked out fine which is odd and voltage was good. What problems did you have? How old was your battery?
Old 02-12-19, 12:52 PM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. I can see that now. When I tested it though it checked out fine which is odd and voltage was good. What problems did you have? How old was your battery?
When testing a battery, you need to check the amperage, not only the voltage.
You can have a faulty battery that reads 12v, but won't have enough amps to crank the engine over.
You need to test the battery when the load is applied, so when the engine is attempting to start. A faulty battery could read 12v at rest, but when you apply the load to it, from the starter when attempting to start, the voltage will dip extremely low, and prevent the vehicle from starting.
This is also why a faulty battery will also read 12v, and have enough amperage to run the radio and other light load accessories, but will not have enough to start the engine.
Old 02-12-19, 01:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKLBL
You can have a faulty battery that reads 12v, but won't have enough amps to crank the engine over.
You need to test the battery when the load is applied, so when the engine is attempting to start. A faulty battery could read 12v at rest, but when you apply the load to it, from the starter when attempting to start, the voltage will dip extremely low, and prevent the vehicle from starting.
This is also why a faulty battery will also read 12v, and have enough amperage to run the radio and other light load accessories, but will not have enough to start the engine.
Exactly. I've had batteries with sulfated plates and this is exactly how they behave. I have also had batteries with internal faults completely dead and never able to recover. Age is usually a factor, but manufacturing defects also cause poor battery performance earlier in their service lives.
Old 02-12-19, 01:33 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by BLKLBL
This is also why a faulty battery will also read 12v, and have enough amperage to run the radio and other light load l, but will not have enough to start the engine.
Wish I had something to test amps otherwise I would have. Also one thing is preventing it from starting and another is losing complete power for a minute a more and then suddenly coming back. That I have never encountered before. Attempting to start and just not having enough juice to start while still being able to play the radio ok but attempting to start and losing all electrical power for that long to then randomly come back was just odd to me.
Old 02-12-19, 05:44 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

In the OLD days, before Voltmeters, cars had Ammeters. Actually I found Ammeters a better indicator of the battery condition then the Voltmeter. I looked for an Ammeter on my OBD wireless reader. No where to be found

Lou
Old 02-12-19, 09:15 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Battery load testers are pretty cheap these days. Just puts a load on the battery. Like mentioned above, good voltage can mean absolutely nothing.

V.
Old 02-13-19, 07:16 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wish I had something to test amps otherwise I would have. Also one thing is preventing it from starting and another is losing complete power for a minute a more and then suddenly coming back. That I have never encountered before. Attempting to start and just not having enough juice to start while still being able to play the radio ok but attempting to start and losing all electrical power for that long to then randomly come back was just odd to me.
If all you have is a voltmeter, you can hold it on the battery and monitor it while you have a friend attempt to crank the engine. You will notice the voltage dip down low on a faulty battery when you attempt to crank. If the voltage dips too low, the electronic components will shut off, and you will get nothing out of them. If the battery is faulty, it may take a minute for the battery to recover up to a voltage that is acceptable for the electronic components to come alive again.

In the old days, you would get dim lights, and a slow cranking alternator. Now, when the voltage is too low, you just get absolutely nothing. Electronic control modules will not function at all if the voltage is too low.

Also, for future reference, if you are having electrical issues, the source voltage (in this case the battery) is always #1 thing to check thoroughly. Without good source voltage, ECMs and modules do some really weird things, and I have seen techs chase these weird issues, without confirming they have a good source voltage in the first place.