Electrical problem? Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-19, 04:10 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 342 Likes on 216 Posts
Default Electrical problem? Battery?

Hello everyone,

This problem literally has me stumped at the moment. Yesterday after I filled up at the gas station when I went to go start the car it attempted to start and then the whole car lost all power for about a minute and a half. When I lost power I mean I lost power like if I pulled the battery terminals right off while the car tried to start and everything went dark. When the power came back (I did nothing at all it happened on its own) the car started right up no problems but I had to reset my clock and everything else like when you disconnect the battery. This morning it happened again and lasted the same amount of time. I have a 2008 ISF and just recently changed my starter and alternator. I don’t see or believe those would cause any problems but just giving full disclosure. Anyone had problems like this? I checked the battery terminals and they are clean and on tight. I also checked all wires and grounds on top and underneath and nothing is out of place. Any help I would really appreciate thanks.
Old 02-06-19, 02:36 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you have a loose ground somewhere.
Old 02-06-19, 07:23 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by broken_tsi
Sounds like you have a loose ground somewhere.
Ground on trans is tight along with the one on the block and frame. None are loose. Negative cable that goes from negative terminal to frame is also tight.
Old 02-06-19, 09:49 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

There are certainly smarter electrical guys on this forum than I, but I'd recommend testing another battery. I would not rely on battery testers either - I'd test another battery directly in the car. A battery with the slightest flaw can wreak havoc on this car, more than any other car I've owned.

That said, I once had the strangest electrical issue in this car. My gas gauge was going nuts, and I swear the transmission was functioning improperly. Lots of shifts. After hours of troubleshooting, I found a bad LED light (I'd put it in 2 years prior) in the front dome/door light. I only found this because I caught a smell in the cockpit while I was troubleshooting - the door was open the whole time and eventually this LED put off a burning smell. I replaced the light and ALL issues went away for good.
Old 02-06-19, 10:03 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
There are certainly smarter electrical guys on this forum than I, but I'd recommend testing another battery. I would not rely on battery testers either - I'd test another battery directly in the car. A battery with the slightest flaw can wreak havoc on this car, more than any other car I've owned.

That said, I once had the strangest electrical issue in this car. My gas gauge was going nuts, and I swear the transmission was functioning improperly. Lots of shifts. After hours of troubleshooting, I found a bad LED light (I'd put it in 2 years prior) in the front dome/door light. I only found this because I caught a smell in the cockpit while I was troubleshooting - the door was open the whole time and eventually this LED put off a burning smell. I replaced the light and ALL issues went away for good.
I know exactly what you mean. Electrical problems are a nightmare. I was thinking of buying a brand new cheap battery at autozone and seeing if it does it. I also noticed this morning even though it didn’t do it before that the gauges you know how the needles go up and come back to zero well mine studder going up and my lights on the cluster turn off and on while the car is trying to start and then the needles finally come back.

Last edited by ISFpowered; 02-07-19 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 06:14 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

So no one else has had problems like this?
Old 02-07-19, 06:21 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I had a similar issue but it was on my previous 2004 Toyota Camry. I replaced the starter and had been getting weird electrical issues. Similar to what you are experiencing. I was thinking it is the alternator but I wanted to try a new battery first. Turns out, it was the battery. New battery solved the issue.
Old 02-07-19, 06:26 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by idoke1
I had a similar issue but it was on my previous 2004 Toyota Camry. I replaced the starter and had been getting weird electrical issues. Similar to what you are experiencing. I was thinking it is the alternator but I wanted to try a new battery first. Turns out, it was the battery. New battery solved the issue.
interesting I replaced my starter because it was starting to just click when I tried starting it and just for safety measures due to age and mileage I changed my alternator and that’s when all my problems started.
Old 02-07-19, 06:29 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

So did you have the problem before you changed the alt and starter ?? if not it points to a bad connection on the starter.
Old 02-07-19, 06:44 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by isfvss
So did you have the problem before you changed the alt and starter ?? if not it points to a bad connection on the starter.
No I didn’t have it before. Can you explain how a poor connection on a starter would cause my entire car to lose all electrical power for a minute or two and then regain it? If the starter gave me a problem it wouldn’t start and would do the audible click and not turn the car on like it was before. I can pull the starter out and if I turn my key onto the on position it would still light up my cluster and everything else including locking and unlocking my car. The problem is just weird then again my battery has been through hell and back so I’m hoping it’s that.
Old 02-08-19, 10:47 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Sounds like a bad cell in the battery to me. How old is the battery?
Old 02-08-19, 11:10 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Sounds like a bad cell in the battery to me. How old is the battery?
Not even two years old.
Old 02-08-19, 11:11 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Car did it again twice today. I’m getting a new battery and will see if this fixes my issue.
Old 02-08-19, 11:44 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
Car did it again twice today. I’m getting a new battery and will see if this fixes my issue.
That's for sure where I would start too. I've seen the battery be the root cause of all kinds of issues, and the IS F seems to be especially sensitive to battery faults.
Old 02-09-19, 09:30 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Quick thought-the park switch...?

Quick Reply: Electrical problem? Battery?