IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Brake Pad Alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-18, 06:11 PM
cameljock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pad Alternatives

So it was time to do my brakes as I warped my centric rotors and the Hawk HP 5.0 I have were wearing thin. I bought OEM Brembo rotors this time. But for pads, I've had Project Mu, OEM Brembos and the Hawk Ceramic before and didn't like the ceramics. The OEMs dust like crazy! The HP 5.0 were great but the dust was impossible to get off my wheels. I loved the Mus but boy are they pricey!

I saw on the Hawk site that the pads that fit on our front calipers also work on the 2010 Mercedes Benz SLK55AMG. I got curious and bought a set of Pagid's on FCPEuro; bonus is that they have a life warranty! I'm not kidding! I'm also considering the OEM Mercedes part:

Genuine Mercedes 005420392041

So it's the same brake package from Brembo that goes on a few Benz, Ferrari and Lexus ISF. I'm going to give the Pagids a try after I paint my calipers. Has anyone else tried this experiment?
Old 10-27-18, 06:46 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

It's been known on this site for quite some time that the iSF front pads are used on other performance automobiles One happens to be Mercedes. See this:

http://www.jdl-brakes.com/ferodo-ds2...-frp3100h.html

I also believe the Shelby Mustang uses them

I am a big fan of Ferodo DS2500 and that's what I use in front. I have PM HC+800 in back.

BTW, rotors don't warp. Over time they may build up pad material high spot deposits. These deposits can be easily be buffed off.

And, Brembo doesn't manufacture rotors, the manufacture calipers. Your rotors may be marked Brembo, but as said, Brembo doesn't make them.

There are many threads about brakes on this site. I suggest you familiarize yourself with them.

Here's one:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...struction.html

Lou
Old 10-27-18, 07:25 PM
steeven001
Driver

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

If the pads do crossover I would definitely try akebonos then because they have no listing for the isf and it's one of my favourite pads I use it on all my other vehicles
Old 10-28-18, 09:18 AM
xaker777
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I knew that!! I was looking for info but besides merc couldn't find anything.
Old 10-28-18, 09:23 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by cameljock
So it was time to do my brakes as I warped my centric rotors and the Hawk HP 5.0 I have were wearing thin. I bought OEM Brembo rotors this time. But for pads, I've had Project Mu, OEM Brembos and the Hawk Ceramic before and didn't like the ceramics. The OEMs dust like crazy! The HP 5.0 were great but the dust was impossible to get off my wheels. I loved the Mus but boy are they pricey!

I saw on the Hawk site that the pads that fit on our front calipers also work on the 2010 Mercedes Benz SLK55AMG. I got curious and bought a set of Pagid's on FCPEuro; bonus is that they have a life warranty! I'm not kidding! I'm also considering the OEM Mercedes part:

So it's the same brake package from Brembo that goes on a few Benz, Ferrari and Lexus ISF. I'm going to give the Pagids a try after I paint my calipers. Has anyone else tried this experiment?
What's going on brother looking foward to your review.
David
The following users liked this post:
cameljock (10-31-18)
Old 10-29-18, 02:23 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Looking forward to hearing about these.
Old 10-30-18, 12:37 PM
Prezajf
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m curious to see how those Pagids work out. If I would of known I would of ordered some Pagids. I’ll be doing mines this weekend with Brembo pads and rotors. I’ve heard the Brembos are horrible with brake dust.
Old 10-30-18, 05:55 PM
TheDude72
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cameljock

Anyone know if the SLK55AMG performance pack or non-performance pack front pads work? RockAuto shows some Akebono’s available for non-performance pack cars.
Old 10-31-18, 04:18 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

I want new pads simply because of the dust issues. I don’t daily my car, the wheels dust themselves within 50 miles it seems. I hope to find a pad the stops as well and dusts significantly less.
Old 10-31-18, 06:00 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
I want new pads simply because of the dust issues. I don’t daily my car, the wheels dust themselves within 50 miles it seems. I hope to find a pad the stops as well and dusts significantly less.
This is exactly what I'm looking for as well.
Old 10-31-18, 06:05 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

you have to buy ceramic pads, they will have a little less brake feel than metallic but it will have a LOT less dust. I use the powerstop evo brake pads from rockauto on my performance pack stang that has the 6 piston brembos. OEM pads were disgusting on the dust
Old 11-01-18, 06:03 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 159 Posts

For what it's worth, I have been using Autozone's Duralast Gold brand since March, already put about 20k on them when I replaced them along with Oem brembo rotors. Autox and drag strip days and daily driving, a bit less bite than OEM but brake dust is nearly nonexistent. I used to have to wipe down my black chrome wheels every day to keep them shiny, now I clean my current wheels maybe once every 2-3 weeks. Pretty happy with them for only $100.

Last edited by LexusfanVA; 11-01-18 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-01-18, 08:25 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
For what it's worth, I have been using Autozone's Duralast Gold brand since March, already put about 20k on them when I replaced them along with Oem brembo rotors. Autox and drag strip days and daily driving, a bit less bite than OEM but brake dust is nearly nonexistent. I used to have to wipe down my black chrome wheels every day to keep them shiny, now I clean my current wheels maybe once every 2-3 weeks. Pretty happy with them for only $100.
I have the Project Mu NS400 pads but when these are done I'm going to go with the Duralast as well. My boy had them on his old ISF and he loved em. I cant go back to the dusting the OEM pads had, wheels were black after about 10 miles of driving
Old 11-01-18, 03:21 PM
Onionboyz
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
Second on the Autozone's Duralast. If you're just a casual driver not going hard on the brakes on windy roads or tracks, it's worth it for the price and dusting. I'd estimate they're about 5-10% of the 100% dust from OEM pads. You do get less of a bite but i only drive it around town, and it does the job perfectly. People rarely bring it up because it's AutoZone but it works! No squeals, no dust, no fuss.
Old 11-02-18, 06:37 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Onionboyz
Second on the Autozone's Duralast. If you're just a casual driver not going hard on the brakes on windy roads or tracks, it's worth it for the price and dusting. I'd estimate they're about 5-10% of the 100% dust from OEM pads. You do get less of a bite but i only drive it around town, and it does the job perfectly. People rarely bring it up because it's AutoZone but it works! No squeals, no dust, no fuss.
Wow, I had no idea Autozone even had pads for the ISF. I'll look into them. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Alternatives