IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Brake Pad Alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-18, 05:32 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Yes thanks. I may race at Putnam this year which is six 20 minute sessions, so i will skip duralast and go a different route.
Old 11-19-18, 04:20 PM
cameljock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I installed the Pagid pads for the Mercedes on the front and I love them! Combined with the ceramic coating I put on the wheels, the dust is very manageable. Nice firm feel on the pedal, bite is great, noise is zero and I haven't noticed any fade on hard braking. I don't know if they are appropriate for the track but I'll figure that out next year at Limerock. Y'all can give it a shot and let me know what you think!

While I was at it, I painted the calipers cast aluminum with VHT and then used a 2k Urethane clearcoat over the VHT clear coat. A lot of coats of paint! If you're gonna do it yourself, be prepared to invest a lot of time in prep!! I didn't drive it for almost three weeks waiting for parts and supplies. Used high temp decals on the calipers after the paint. I didn't strip the paint; just cleaned and sanded them. Check out the pics below.

Old 11-19-18, 05:21 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Yes thanks. I may race at Putnam this year which is six 20 minute sessions, so i will skip duralast and go a different route.
I use Stoptech sport pads for daily but I hate the squealing. They did ok on the road course due to their high temp rating but no real bite.
Switched to Project Mu Hc800 and was amazed. Just don't be an idiot like me and not upgrade to a high temp brake fluid....had brake failure during a cool down lap at Putnam and was very lucky.
Changing pads is so easy...that's why I switch them out for track days.
Old 04-20-19, 06:55 AM
Jwconeil

I want to resurrect this. I want low dust pads but want to keep the OEM bite. I drag race, and if my opponent looses control I want to be able to stop fast. I waited 6 months for special color Volks, and after a day you can’t even see the bronze in the gunmetal paint from the OEM pads. Duralast sounds like a good option, but I don’t want to lose any bite. Thoughts?
Old 04-20-19, 07:00 AM
NjzFinest
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully you drag at the strip but if thats the case go with project mu. I have the duralast and they bite great and are great for dd but for track or the strip id prob go with project mu to be on the safer side.

I want to resurrect this. I want low dust pads but want to keep the OEM bite. I drag race, and if my opponent looses control I want to be able to stop fast. I waited 6 months for special color Volks, and after a day you can’t even see the bronze in the gunmetal paint from the OEM pads. Duralast sounds like a good option, but I don’t want to lose any bite. Thoughts?
The following users liked this post:
Jwconeil (04-20-19)
Old 04-20-19, 07:49 AM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by NjzFinest
Hopefully you drag at the strip but if thats the case go with project mu. I have the duralast and they bite great and are great for dd but for track or the strip id prob go with project mu to be on the safer side.
I only race at the strip. What ProjectMu model do you recommend?
Old 04-20-19, 08:17 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Project mu ns400 were the go to pad for F's that wanted oem bite but no/low dust. But they were discontinued month ago....I was sad to hear this. I've been searching all year as after 4 years, I'm COMPLETELY fed up with the brake dust from the OEM pads. They stop great, but squeel here and there and the dust is unbearable....I might would get 25-60 miles tops of driving before the front wheels are covered.
Talked to Speedfreaks (a forum vender here) and he recommended Carbontech pads. Said they were basically the same as the ns400s. I got them (he even gave me a forum coupon code!), installed them and put them to the test immediately! On my 600+ mile trip from NC to FL, I didn't hear one squeel!! Checked the wheels and OMG!!!! ZERO DUST!!!!! I am truly baffled about that! Raced in the 1/2 mile event, with 15+ passes at 140+ mph and HARD braking from there and STILL zero dust!! No longer scared to drive the car before it sits in the garage for a week or 2 (can not let the car sit with dirty wheels in my shop/garage).
Highly recommend. Pricing wasn't bad at all either. Good luck!

V.
Jwconeil (04-20-19)
Old 04-20-19, 08:43 AM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Project mu ns400 were the go to pad for F's that wanted oem bite but no/low dust. But they were discontinued month ago....I was sad to hear this. I've been searching all year as after 4 years, I'm COMPLETELY fed up with the brake dust from the OEM pads. They stop great, but squeel here and there and the dust is unbearable....I might would get 25-60 miles tops of driving before the front wheels are covered.
Talked to Speedfreaks (a forum vender here) and he recommended Carbontech pads. Said they were basically the same as the ns400s. I got them (he even gave me a forum coupon code!), installed them and put them to the test immediately! On my 600+ mile trip from NC to FL, I didn't hear one squeel!! Checked the wheels and OMG!!!! ZERO DUST!!!!! I am truly baffled about that! Raced in the 1/2 mile event, with 15+ passes at 140+ mph and HARD braking from there and STILL zero dust!! No longer scared to drive the car before it sits in the garage for a week or 2 (can not let the car sit with dirty wheels in my shop/garage).

V.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the feedback, Vit.
Vitveet (04-23-19)
Old 04-22-19, 07:20 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
Brembo doesn't manufacture rotors, the manufacture calipers. Your rotors may be marked Brembo, but as said, Brembo doesn't make them.
Do you have a reference for this? Brembo themselves claim to manufacture more than 50 million rotors per year. How It's Made even did an episode at the Stezzano (BG) factory where Brembo manufactures their carbon-ceramic rotors.

They may farm out some of their aftermarket rotor manufacturing (I'm not sure on that), but I'm quite sure Brembo actually manufactures their own OE-application rotors, including the IS F rotors.

Jeff
Old 04-22-19, 08:58 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by NjzFinest
I only race at the strip. What ProjectMu model do you recommend?
Originally Posted by Vitveet
Talked to Speedfreaks (a forum vender here) and he recommended Carbontech pads. Said they were basically the same as the ns400s. I got them (he even gave me a forum coupon code!), installed them and put them to the test immediately! On my 600+ mile trip from NC to FL, I didn't hear one squeel!! Checked the wheels and OMG!!!! ZERO DUST!!!!! I am truly baffled about that! Raced in the 1/2 mile event, with 15+ passes at 140+ mph and HARD braking from there and STILL zero dust!! No longer scared to drive the car before it sits in the garage for a week or 2 (can not let the car sit with dirty wheels in my shop/garage.

V.
Project Mu NS 400 were the go-to pads for quite a while but unfortunately they were discontinued and replaced with the Type NS which is a slightly different formulation than the NS400. The Type NS compound still aims at ultra low dust and noise free operation but now with an increase in friction levels over the NS400 compound. Friction levels were successfully increased but unfortunately a bit more dust output over the old compound accompanied. Some people find that to be an acceptable tradeoff but for any of our customers who want the absolute lowest dust possible in a street performance pad we recommend the Carbotech 1521 compound. 1521 has slightly less friction than the Type NS, but as Vitveet mentions, essentially zero dust output.

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 04-22-19 at 09:01 AM.
Vitveet (04-23-19)
Old 04-22-19, 11:04 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

We can do Project Mu or Stoptech brake pads guys!

Contact us for pricing!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-22-19, 07:12 PM
1USBISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This site has them https://www.b2autodesigns.com/store/...u_Lexus.html#/
Just ordered a set $375 shipped.
Old 04-22-19, 07:36 PM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
Project Mu NS 400 were the go-to pads for quite a while but unfortunately they were discontinued and replaced with the Type NS which is a slightly different formulation than the NS400. The Type NS compound still aims at ultra low dust and noise free operation but now with an increase in friction levels over the NS400 compound. Friction levels were successfully increased but unfortunately a bit more dust output over the old compound accompanied. Some people find that to be an acceptable tradeoff but for any of our customers who want the absolute lowest dust possible in a street performance pad we recommend the Carbotech 1521 compound. 1521 has slightly less friction than the Type NS, but as Vitveet mentions, essentially zero dust output.

-Matt M.
How much more dust does NS have over 1521, and do either stop as well as OEM?
Old 04-22-19, 08:40 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I had never tried Project MU Type NS version but I did tried Project MU Type PS and absolutely love those. Extremely low dust output and the bite is very good for a street pad. I recommend you check Project MU Type PS.
Old 04-25-19, 03:23 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

How much more dust does NS have over 1521, and do either stop as well as OEM?
It's a bit difficult to exactly quantify but I'd say Type NS emits ~20% more than 1521 does all else equal. 20% sounds large but 20% of a very small amount isn't exactly a huge jump in reality.

-Matt M.