IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-18, 01:52 AM
oscar55773
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation ISF squeaking

so I did my rotor replacement on my ISF about 200 miles ago. Rotors and pads. I ordered brembo drilled rotors and textar pads. (Allegedly OE) at first I had my buddy do it and he actually mounted my rear rotors on the front with my front pads -.- I noticed it then changed it after about 40 miles of driving. Now I put the correct rotors up front and now I’m getting a brake squeak when I’m not even braking I’m very **** to different sounds in my car so if anyone knows what it is please let me know thanks. 🙏🏼 normally I know brembo are noisey but this is when I’m not even braking.
Old 02-26-18, 05:01 AM
banserki
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The pads could be glazing, do some high speed hard stops to cook it off.
Old 02-26-18, 05:04 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Might be talking rubbish (wouldn't be the first time!), but could it be down to the rotors having bedded in wrong (so rears bedded in with front brakes, fronts bedded in with rears etc)? Just thinking we have a different number of pistons in the respective calipers, so maybe that's why it's squeaking when you aren't even braking (maybe there is a piston or two in the front caliper touching the rotor due to uneven/incorrect wear?).....

Might be able to salvage the current rotors by having them skimmed if my theory is right?

Whatever it is, hope you get it sorted soon mate.

Cheers,

Pete
Old 02-26-18, 06:37 AM
orangeblue
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Since the front and rear compounds are the same, it's probably that the front rotors didn't fully bed because the rear pads are smaller than the fronts (so you've only got part of the swept surface bedded). Re-bed the pads with a few hard stops. Also, find out whether your buddy cleaned the shipping grease/oil off the rotors before he installed them.

If re-bedding the pads doesn't clear it up, you may have too much pad rub (i.e. the pistons aren't retracting far enough when you let off the brake pedal). If your old pads and rotors were really worn down, it's possible that additional brake fluid was added to keep the reservoir at the right level. Once new pads and rotors are put in, the added thickness may require you to remove some fluid. Check to see if the brake fluid level is correct.
Old 02-27-18, 01:17 AM
oscar55773
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you supposed to wipe down the new rotors? With brake cleaner? And how do I check brake fluid levels? So yeah heput the new front pads up front and mistook my new rear rotors for my new rears and mounted the rotors backwards basically so it created a minor lip on the pads. I’m not sure but I’ll check what has been stated so far! ����
Old 02-27-18, 08:45 AM
orangeblue
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oscar55773
Are you supposed to wipe down the new rotors? With brake cleaner?
Yes. Rotors are covered with shipping oil/grease to keep from corroding while they're sitting on the shelf. You should spray them down with brake cleaner before installing (just the swept area, the hat and edges are fine). I just installed OEM Brembo rotors, and they didn't have much on them, so you'll probably burn through any contamination in the pads fairly quickly.

And how do I check brake fluid levels?
The brake reservoir is on the left/driver's side of the engine compartment, toward the firewall. The reservoir itself is translucent, so you can see if the fluid level is between the min and max lines. I don't think you need to remove the plastic shroud to see it, but not sure.

So yeah heput the new front pads up front and mistook my new rear rotors for my new rears and mounted the rotors backwards basically so it created a minor lip on the pads. I’m not sure but I’ll check what has been stated so far!
The smaller rotor grooved the front pads? How badly? You may have what is essentially really bad pad taper. Ideally, the entire pad should hit the rotor squarely. If part of the pad was missing the rotor because the rotor was too small, it could have left the pad thinner toward the inside of the rotor than the outside (past where the too-small rotor ends). Depending on severity of the taper, you could have an outside section of pad touching and causing the noise.

Last edited by orangeblue; 02-27-18 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-27-18, 09:05 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Okay, here is the tough love truth....if your friend can't figure out how to install the correct rotor in the proper location, he obviously doesn't know what he is doing and shouldn't be installing brakes on your car.
If you are asking questions like, "Are you supposed to wipe down the new rotors? With brake cleaner? And how do I check brake fluid levels?", you obviously don't know what you are doing and shouldn't be installing brakes on your car.
My recommendation is to find a friend who truly knows what they are doing (aka they have done many brake jobs before), OR, take it to a mechanic who knows how to do a brake job and have them troubleshoot/fix the squeaking you are experiencing.

I'm all for learning how to work on your own car, but you better know what you are doing when it comes to brakes... they are kind of important.
The following 2 users liked this post by semnosNSX:
chrisp1 (03-01-18), PDP180180 (02-27-18)