IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mark Levinson Subwoofer Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-18, 02:25 PM
ISFMichael
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 2012 when I first start up the car the bass is on but soft, even though it's turned up the whole way. But then I go into the audio controls and turn the bass down one click and then back up one click and you can hear the bass kick in immediately. It will remain on normally the rest of the time while driving, but once I turn the car off and on again same thing.

Has anyone else experienced this before?
Old 01-31-18, 09:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Hello! Highly doubtful it's a connection issue unless someone has previously remove the wiring/connector. If you can get to the sub/wiring, just probe the POS and neg speaker leads with a multimeter (setting on 'ohms' of course) and see if it reads impedance. I'm not exactly sure what impedance it will read (I've tested some factory subs in vehicles that read 2 ohms in impedance, some 4 ohms, some 6 and some even 8 ohms.
If it does not read impedance, the sub is done (granted the wiring you are probing is indeed connected to the sub).
Another quick way to test if the sub is working is to take a 9v battery and quickly/briefly for a split second touch the pos and neg from the 9v battery to the POS and neg speaker leads in the sub and you should hear a quick "thump", verifying that it does indeed work.
90% of the time we disconnect the factory sub in vehicles and sometimes even remove them when we are doing aftermarket amp/sub installs with vehicles with factory amp/subs. Aftermarket will sound WAY better (if setup properly) and much cheaper than the factory amp/sub, etc. But I do get customers occasionally that want to keep a sub in the factory location, so we just swap it. Wiring is straight forward...no cutting wires is needed, etc. Just have to make sure you are replacing the sub with another sub of the same ohm load, otherwise you most definitely can damage the factory amp.

I/my shop am/is located in Oxford, NC.....about 20-25 miles north of Durham/Raleigh.

V.
It is not possible to measure impedance with a DVM. Impedance is frequency dependent, and DVMs use DC to measure resistance, not impedance. You are measuring a coil, so frequency matters if you want to measure impedance. If you're only concerned about continuity, DC will work fine, but don't leave it connected long or the coil will want to overheat. Speaker coils are not designed to dissipate heat from DC.

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws...inductors.html
Old 01-31-18, 09:50 PM
Soarer91
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone replaced their ML with an aftermarket sub in the stock location?
Old 02-01-18, 11:39 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Soarer91
I did see a couple threads about this years ago. I personally bought a custom box and will be installing it soon.
Old 02-01-18, 01:16 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Soarer91
finding an 8ohm load free air subwoofer that fits there is not easy . you would have to cut out the subwoofer foam part and use that whole oem subwoofer as a bracket because of the mounting point. or you can custom make a new mounting bracket for a new free air sub. closest I've found that i didnt end up trying was the subwoofer in the mustang gt500 .
Old 07-03-18, 04:15 PM
stunts
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stunts
Just purchased a 2012 and have no idea what the ML is supposed to sound like. I will say that I feel the bass is currently lacking. I have turned off the surround at the recommendation of another thread and do hear some improvement, but still not sure what I should expect. I also have a 2010 Infiniti with a Bose system and it is much more robust, although much muddier overall.

Is there a good way to test if the subwoofer is active or doing what it should? How would/could I know?

Vitveet, where in NC are you located?

TIA
So Update. Finally had some time to seriously investigate. Been spending too much time driving it (okay, actually work, kids life, but the first bit sounds better). Was moving stuff around back there and patting with a flat hand on the different surfaces in the trunk and on the back deck areas and presto, sub back on. Sounds legit. Might be because I have been without it since I purchased it in January, but the quality has improved dramatically and I'm happy with it.

I was looking (and finding) OEM speakers online for ~$360 being sold from a Lexus dealer. Was contemplating going this route if it proved bad. I decided to keep poking around though because I was getting nothing out of it so knew it wasn't blown.

Not sure if I will have to do this again and if it will be chronic. Keeping fingers crossed for now.
Old 07-20-18, 04:08 PM
dylansd19
Driver School Candidate

Default Ml sub replacement

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Definitely go aftermarket. MUCH better subs out there than the ML sub at 1/4 of the price. Pm me and I'll give you more info on some of the options I have in my shop (few under $100 that'll out perform the ML sub).
Also to answer your question, 99.99% sure there's no loose connection. Factory plugs almost never come "loose" or "disconnected" by themselves.

V.
Hey there, I recently purchased a Lexus 2is and I accidentally hit the subwoofer from underneath when loading tires into my car so I was hoping u could lead me in the direction of a subwoofer replacement for under $100 that's a direct fit withoutw the requirement of a separate amp. Or if there is a way to repair it. Thanks
Old 07-20-18, 06:42 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Originally Posted by dylansd19
Hey there, I recently purchased a Lexus 2is and I accidentally hit the subwoofer from underneath when loading tires into my car so I was hoping u could lead me in the direction of a subwoofer replacement for under $100 that's a direct fit withoutw the requirement of a separate amp. Or if there is a way to repair it. Thanks
If you hit it, maybe you broke a wire or something simple. Have you taken out the carpet to check?
Old 07-22-18, 03:21 PM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

My 08 non ML 350 and 13 ML ISF sound exactly alike. If there is a sub back there, it’s worthless. Where is it located? I need to see if it works and if it doesn’t, replace it. I expected a lot more, that’s my only complaint about the F. My wife’s old Chrysler 200 with premium stereo made my expensive Lexus sound lame.
Old 08-07-18, 12:02 PM
zombeezISF
Driver School Candidate

My ML sub has been shot for a while now. Don't intend on upgrading, just want to replace what I have since I'm not sure how much longer I'm keeping her. Any chance anyone has the correct part number? I called the dealership and was asked what my VIN was to check the "correct" part. I would imagine there's only one part number for a 08' ISF - right? Anyway, after being told price was $668 for the part, I asked for the official part number. Was told they can't give out part numbers. I'm throwing the shenanigans flag on that. So before I buy another "stock" sub - can anyone confirm that there isn't a VIN specific sub for our cars? Any insight or info anyone can share?

In research and on this forum I've found the usual PN that keeps coming up is 86160-OWD80... Thanks all in advance!

Last edited by zombeezISF; 08-07-18 at 12:08 PM. Reason: found part number
Old 08-07-18, 12:50 PM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by zombeezISF
My ML sub has been shot for a while now. Don't intend on upgrading, just want to replace what I have since I'm not sure how much longer I'm keeping her. Any chance anyone has the correct part number? I called the dealership and was asked what my VIN was to check the "correct" part. I would imagine there's only one part number for a 08' ISF - right? Anyway, after being told price was $668 for the part, I asked for the official part number. Was told they can't give out part numbers. I'm throwing the shenanigans flag on that. So before I buy another "stock" sub - can anyone confirm that there isn't a VIN specific sub for our cars? Any insight or info anyone can share?

In research and on this forum I've found the usual PN that keeps coming up is 86160-OWD80... Thanks all in advance!

Just don't even bother... Will blow up when the next owner gets it anyaays. So cheaply made..
Old 08-08-18, 05:01 PM
topguy573
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i have a stock sub i replaced with my focal 33kx. pm me if anyone is interested.
Old 09-02-18, 03:08 AM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Default Aftermarket Replacement?

Anyone attempt to replace sub at the OEM location?
Old 09-02-18, 04:48 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Originally Posted by OneFastF
Anyone attempt to replace sub at the OEM location?
There are a couple threads on this but theyret very old. You should be able to find them using the search.
Old 09-02-18, 02:58 PM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joker4096
There are a couple threads on this but theyret very old. You should be able to find them using the search.
I've look through most, and haven't seen official success on it. I should go ahead and attempt to repair mines