IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-17, 11:56 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Default I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!

What a great time ! I made the 700 mile trip to Auto Club Speedway in California, and what a track day!! I got to experience top speeds of over 140 mp and got to hit that famous banked turn. What an amazing feeling to enter a turn at deep triple digits and then the have the track bank to the point where the passenger seat is higher than the driver seat ( turning left ). I ran in the green group so as usual it was " race like conditions " with open passing and " race like awareness". What a rush! I passed two older Porsche turbos on the straight and managed to do some passing while in the braking zones. Lol at the end of the day I was at the photography booth to pick up my SD card and a 2016 NA 911 driver comes up to me and says he said to himself " I'm gonna pass that piece of ****, but I could not get close to passing you on the straight". I was smiling inside.

When I registered for this track day and started studying the video it seemed less technical and like it might not be as much fun as some of the other 10 courses I've been on. OH MY GOD! I couldn't have been more wrong. This circuit has a little of everything. It has deep straights, banked turns, chicanes, decreasing radius turns, and corner that are taken over 100 mph!! I will admit that this course is what we track guys call a " power course". Big V8s rule supreme here. The F was totally at home. I have over 170 track videos. This has to be one of the most exciting to watch. lol I'm laughing and **** talking most of the time. That's how you know I was high on that track rush!!

I also got to run with another ISF ( we randomly meet and we're running in the same group) in the advanced driver's group AND also ran into THE MOST POWERFUL ISF on earth. Not only was this F super charged, it also had a full engine rebuild with forged internals. See pics below

All in all it was an amazing event. I made a trip to a great track, got to run with another ISF, met literally the most built ISF in the world, and got to hang out with 2 VERY COOL ISF owners. Hanging out and kicking tires with them was great. We had more than 2 hours between the first and second session and still found ourselves rushing to grid because we had been hanging out and talking for so long lol. It was really cool. Only me and the other NA ISF tan. The SC ISF was still in break in period with just a few hundred miles on it.

When you watch the video look at how high the top of the track is compared to the bottom of the bank. I'd say at least 10-12 feet higher. WILD!

22 TRACK DAYS, 10 CIRCUITS, 3 STATES, 3 YEARS!

Attached Thumbnails I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo713.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo947.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo942.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo416.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo829.jpg  

I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo855.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo661.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo214.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo643.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo542.jpg  

I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo873.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo537.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo749.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo687.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo731.jpg  

I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo547.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo489.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo170.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo377.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo172.jpg  

I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo825.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo167.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo121.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo22.jpg  

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-11-17 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Removed bait. Knock it off
Old 06-11-17, 12:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Harry's Lap Timer is an amazing app but worthless if you can not find a mount that works. I'm using the Ram Mount and it's still shaky. Only worth taking photos from the video.
Attached Thumbnails I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo956.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo455.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo31.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo843.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo549.jpg  

I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo853.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo317.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo633.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo597.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo355.jpg  

I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo66.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-photo739.jpg  
Old 06-11-17, 02:23 PM
GermanF
Rookie

Received 87 Likes on 28 Posts

Wish we would have a similar track here in Germany 😬👍
Old 06-11-17, 04:59 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Glad to hear you enjoyed Auto Club Speedway. I've done that one a few times, and it never ceases to amaze me how fast we can get our cars on the "roval". Insane speeds, and while our cars are heavy, maneuvering around this course wasn't as difficult as I had imagined it being. Sounds like you had an amazing time out there! As always, good content from the videos and stills.
Old 06-12-17, 08:25 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Glad to see you had a good time, I must say you're the most hardcore track person in the IS-F section.

Looks like someone got a supercharger on their 'F'.
Old 06-13-17, 07:51 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Good stuff man, the turn coming onto the straight looks helluva fun!
Old 06-13-17, 12:14 PM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks great man, you're adding up that list of track days pretty well not sure if anyone can catch up to what you've put your F through lol

That SC ISF looks like the one RRRacing did with fully rebuilt internals...correct me if I'm wrong. Would love to see how that performs once the break in period is over.
Old 06-13-17, 12:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GermanF
Wish we would have a similar track here in Germany 😬👍
Its a great high speed track, but you guys have the ring!!

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Glad to hear you enjoyed Auto Club Speedway. I've done that one a few times, and it never ceases to amaze me how fast we can get our cars on the "roval". Insane speeds, and while our cars are heavy, maneuvering around this course wasn't as difficult as I had imagined it being. Sounds like you had an amazing time out there! As always, good content from the videos and stills.
I was amazed. That roval is a little crazy the first lap or two but then you learn to push while the suspension is compressed. It was an amazing feeling !! Thanks so much buddy.
Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Glad to see you had a good time, I must say you're the most hardcore track person in the IS-F section.

Looks like someone got a supercharger on their 'F'.
Thanks so much buddy !! Means a lot. I think Ive got the bug pretty bad and I dont mind traveling to hit tracks. Im dont with the AZ tracks and now am going to start hitting the Cali tracks. There is Button Willow, Willow Springs, and Laguna Seca l want to hit. Since its going to be a long drive I going to stay with my mom in LA and then make the second leg of the trip the next day. This car is amazing and Im doing it all almost completely stock. Stock brakes ( everything including fluid ), stock suspension and ride height minus USRS and rear $170 F sport rear sway bar. Lexus really did their homework with this car. I cant believe how well rounded it is and how lucky we are to own them. Its amazing.

Originally Posted by bbong
Good stuff man, the turn coming onto the straight looks helluva fun!
It was dope !!! Passing those Porsche Turbos and going around that yellow Z06 in the turn was amazing fun. That V8 with the 8 speed really keep the car in the power band. A new 911 (na) couldnt pass all the way up to 140 and then backed off much sooner for the turn

Originally Posted by Defratos
Looks great man, you're adding up that list of track days pretty well not sure if anyone can catch up to what you've put your F through lol

That SC ISF looks like the one RRRacing did with fully rebuilt internals...correct me if I'm wrong. Would love to see how that performs once the break in period is over.
As much as I know it will bother some, I believe I still have a record for the most amount of track time in a daily driven ISF in the world. Yes sir !! That is the one. Essentially the most powerful ISF in the world. I wish I could have seen him run it. It was really cool to meet not one, but 2 other ISFs on the track
Attached Thumbnails I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-june-10-2017-speed-ventures-green-turn-9-scenic-session-2-ac4_9103_jun1017_caliphoto.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-june-10-2017-speed-ventures-green-turn-9-session-2-ac4_8739_jun1017_caliphoto.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-june-10-2017-speed-ventures-green-turn-9-palms-session-2-ac4_8912_jun1017_caliphoto.jpg  
Old 06-13-17, 05:36 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Nice work again I know your car is pretty stock but what tyres have you been running, any that stand out cheers.
Old 06-13-17, 06:16 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Nice driving, Tammer.. Considering your car is "mostly" stock, you obviously have quite a bit of natural driving talent based on some of the cars you're passing that are objectively much faster than the IS-F on a track. Either that, or there are very few talented HPDE drivers in the southwestern U.S.!!!

My guess is it's the former

-Mike

Last edited by mikersoft; 06-13-17 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-14-17, 02:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by isfvss
Nice work again I know your car is pretty stock but what tyres have you been running, any that stand out cheers.
I run the Yokohama advan neova ADO8R. They hold up amazingly well to repeated track abuse

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Nice driving, Tammer.. Considering your car is "mostly" stock, you obviously have quite a bit of natural driving talent based on some of the cars you're passing that are objectively much faster than the IS-F on a track. Either that, or there are very few talented HPDE drivers in the southwestern U.S.!!!

My guess is it's the former

-Mike
lol thanks Mike ! Means a lot coming from a track star like yourself. I keep hearing the Penskes make the car handle like it's much lighter. My concern is having them rebuilt every 30k miles. If I had a choice between 50 ho and handling is go with handling allllllll day long. Might consider the Ohlins down the line, but I have a new 2011 stock oem suspension with less than 1500 miles on them.
I tracked with an ISF before that had coil overs and we were dead even . I would love to reduce a little of the yaw and roll though.

How would describe the difference in handling between oem and Penske?
Old 06-14-17, 03:03 PM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I run the Yokohama advan neova ADO8R. They hold up amazingly well to repeated track abuse

lol thanks Mike ! Means a lot coming from a track star like yourself. I keep hearing the Penskes make the car handle like it's much lighter. My concern is having them rebuilt every 30k miles. If I had a choice between 50 ho and handling is go with handling allllllll day long. Might consider the Ohlins down the line, but I have a new 2011 stock oem suspension with less than 1500 miles on them.
I tracked with an ISF before that had coil overs and we were dead even . I would love to reduce a little of the yaw and roll though.

I might be throwing my Penske up for sale soon. I'll PM you if you're interested in them
The following users liked this post:
I8ABMR (06-16-17)
Old 06-16-17, 10:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Got some more pics from the Photographer. And a really cool slow motion clip. First time Caliphotography has ever done this
Attached Thumbnails I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-june-10-2017-speed-ventures-z_pits-etc-p1130721_jun1017_caliphoto.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-june-10-2017-speed-ventures-z_pits-etc-p1130720_jun1017_caliphoto.jpg   I F'd AutoClub Speedway ! Entering a banked turn at over 135 mph!-june-10-2017-speed-ventures-z_pits-etc-p1130726_jun1017_caliphoto.jpg  
Old 06-16-17, 10:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

CHECK THIS OUT ! First time CaliPhotography has ever done this. Its a slow motion clip for each driver. I think its super cool and very unique.

Old 06-17-17, 08:26 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
It's difficult to compare now after having the Penskes for over a year (installed last May). Plus, I'm a pretty smooth driver at the track (you'll notice in my videos that I'm rarely fighting the steering wheel). I'm sure that makes me slower than another, more experienced & aggressive driver might be in my car, but I prefer to gradually build up to the handling limits, rather than flog the car like crazy & let traction/stability control intervene. Without a doubt, the upgrade made it easier to drive faster, without having to push the limits.. I chose the softer of the two spring options (16k/14k) since I daily drive the car, so the weight transfer/body roll isn't as reduced as it could be. I'd say the biggest change from OEM is the responsiveness of the Penske shocks, especially during short, quick transitions.

-Mike