IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Key Fob Update

Old 06-02-17, 09:52 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Key Fob Update

Background: my primary key was lost from an auto accident, so I was looking to replace it.

Symptom: remote unlock/lock does not work; keyless entry does not work; car struggles to recognize key fob when placed near the start button

Solution: replaced the ECM (immoblizer) and re-calibrated the signals between steering column computer and the ECM - key now works perfectly.

Side notes: previous jackass took the shortcut and had a locksmith program a spare key (which was NOT the correct key fob, so beware if you see non-F key fobs for your ISF) using Chinese software or some other pirated version of Techstream. Result: computer was locked in permanent reading mode and would not accept new reseeding of additional key(s). This is found out after buying a new key fob (metal key was intact, thankfully), diagnostic, replacement computer, and more programming at independent shop for 1.5 weeks. Total: $1750.

Thanks for reading, and I will murder you if you ever try to use underhanded method stated above for replacing lost keys.

Last edited by mk416; 06-02-17 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-05-17, 09:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,832 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Wow. It took all that? Replacing the ECM? That's grim and shouldn't ever happen regardless of what Techstream version was used.

To solve the immobilizer issue, you need the legit Techstream with the locksmith option. A dealer should have been able to solve this without all the new parts.
Old 06-06-17, 08:35 AM
mk416
Advanced

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Wow. It took all that? Replacing the ECM? That's grim and shouldn't ever happen regardless of what Techstream version was used.

To solve the immobilizer issue, you need the legit Techstream with the locksmith option. A dealer should have been able to solve this without all the new parts.
They could not. They still charged me that $300 for diagnostic & programming fee (plus a new key fob).

When dealer and independent shop told me the same result, I just figured that the third opinion will most likely not yield anything more productive, so I just went with the independent shop. Now I have two keys...

I met the master tech and he basically told me that they would have to replace the ECM first and then they can try to make this work, no guarantees. I was just not having that kind of lack of assurance, so I went elsewhere.

Fun notes: ISF is too heavy for one person to push on a downward slope. I think I need to work my legs more.
Old 06-06-17, 06:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,832 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Man. That tech is not your friend. This is really a simple delete all keys, program new master key and add any spares. It hasn't been necessary to replace a Lexus ECM for a key issue for a very long time. Techstream gives you big warnings about deleting all keys, but it will do it. He must have been afraid after deleting all the keys he would be stuck with your car waiting for a new ECM if it didn't work.
Old 06-07-17, 08:15 AM
mk416
Advanced

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Man. That tech is not your friend. This is really a simple delete all keys, program new master key and add any spares. It hasn't been necessary to replace a Lexus ECM for a key issue for a very long time. Techstream gives you big warnings about deleting all keys, but it will do it. He must have been afraid after deleting all the keys he would be stuck with your car waiting for a new ECM if it didn't work.
That's the bulk of it. When it comes to acceptance of liability, shops tend to tread carefully on the softer side to avoid incurring losses. Which, in this case, forces my hand since I cannot personally get it done any other way that's cheaper.
Old 06-20-17, 01:06 PM
96300NAZ
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would absolutely file a complaint. Excessive costs for unnecessary work. That's not the quality of service Lexus usually prides itself on. Can confirm Lobuxracer's statement; best friend is an MDT.
Old 06-21-17, 08:02 AM
mk416
Advanced

Originally Posted by 96300NAZ
I would absolutely file a complaint. Excessive costs for unnecessary work. That's not the quality of service Lexus usually prides itself on. Can confirm Lobuxracer's statement; best friend is an MDT.
They are dead set on placing the fault on the previous locksmith that did the hack job, so there is not much I can go on with it since I basically got a hand-me-down BS.

I did contact the corporate office regarding my other issue and I was granted some assistance, so Lexus is still good in my book. This issue is just a cluster of headaches.
Old 08-12-19, 05:08 AM
hristianw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After auto locksmith i contacted the corporate office for my issue and they then after lot of efforts resolved my issue.