IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Ballast Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-17, 02:35 PM
samjones
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Ballast Options

Hey guys, I'm in the process of getting the LED headlights installed on my 2008 ISF and just found out that one of my old ballast seems in "not so good shape" . Water may have entered the area which caused the bolts to rust & more. It's still working fine but I'm afraid that it'll die on me very soon. I would just hate it if I had to take everything apart again. Called Lexus dealership and was told that I could not purchase the ballast on its own, but would need to buy the entire headlamp.
Do you guy's have any suggestions or recommendations other than ebay?

​​thank you
Old 03-10-17, 04:15 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

You could clean up the inside with contact cleaner and reseal it, since it is working. I'm sure you could find a used one on ebay.
Old 03-10-17, 08:49 PM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey there samjones! We sell a brand new replacement ballast for $70 shipped. Our website is not ye fully updated with all our products, but you can contact us through email at OrganizedGarageStatus@yahoo.com if you're interested. Thank you!
Old 03-11-17, 05:26 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

^^ Good deal!
Old 03-11-17, 05:42 AM
pelos124
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have water intrusion in the headlight assembly. Lexus has a warranty enhancement for healights. That means free replacement headlight assemblies. But there are special circumstances, and you took it apart.
Old 03-11-17, 06:18 AM
samjones
Driver

Yea, unfortunately warranty won't help me now lol I ended up buying an used one off ebay last night. Hopefully all works out fine

​​​​
Old 03-12-17, 09:45 AM
KRISH
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought one from Amazon couple days ago since my ballast burnt out.
Old 03-12-17, 10:59 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Water intrusion was the primary reason why I upgraded mine. I checked for leaks or cracks anywhere around my 9 year old headlight, and while my mechanic and I weren't able to find any area that would be an easy access point for water to get in, it could've been a been a brittle seal that slowly seeped in water- especially from the latest rainfall we had a few weeks back. When I noticed one headlight turning cloudy and condensated and the other one being perfectly normal, I knew it was time to upgrade.

My ballast also suffered some water damage, but in comparison to your pics, it didn't appear as intrusive to the point they weren't still operable. If the ballast is shot, there's nothing you can do unfortunately. And this is probably one of the few times I'd go with an OEM ballast. I've heard numerous negative accounts of aftermarket ballasts that it's most likely less of a hassle to use the OEM one. Knowing that our vendor Organized Garage Status has available OEM headlights is a great relief, but should you find yourself near a junkyard, that might also be an option.

Best of luck to you my friend!
Old 03-12-17, 04:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by samjones
Hey guys, I'm in the process of getting the LED headlights installed on my 2008 ISF and just found out that one of my old ballast seems in "not so good shape" . Water may have entered the area which caused the bolts to rust & more. It's still working fine but I'm afraid that it'll die on me very soon. I would just hate it if I had to take everything apart again. Called Lexus dealership and was told that I could not purchase the ballast on its own, but would need to buy the entire headlamp.
Do you guy's have any suggestions or recommendations other than ebay?

​​​thank you
I want to hear more about putting LEDs in the IS F. The GS F has them and they totally rock. Would LOVE to put them in my Supra and my IS F. Why do you need a working HID igniter for LEDs?
Old 03-12-17, 09:00 PM
samjones
Driver

Well, I'm installing 2013 headlights on my 2008 ISF. Also, the new headlights came stripped. Sorry for the confusion @lobuxracer
The old ballast is still operational but just by looking at it, I get very worried that it won't last long. Found an used one off ebay with the same part number on it as well. It should be here this week.
Found out after I ordered mine that TRSMatt has them (oem & aftermarket) and so does Organized Garage Status
​​​​
Old 03-13-17, 02:21 PM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I want to hear more about putting LEDs in the IS F. The GS F has them and they totally rock. Would LOVE to put them in my Supra and my IS F. Why do you need a working HID igniter for LEDs?
I've been wanting to do the same but I didn't know what was all involved converting a HID assembly to a LED. Haven't done much research on it. My biggest concern is the beam pattern since our projectors are built for an HID bulb. Would love to see what would be involved in swapping LED lenses into our cars but I have a feeling the price and labor would far exceed the benefit.

Last edited by PatrickISF; 03-13-17 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-23-17, 08:54 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by pelos124
If you have water intrusion in the headlight assembly. Lexus has a warranty enhancement for healights. That means free replacement headlight assemblies. But there are special circumstances, and you took it apart.
Can you advise more on this please? I recently went into Lexus with my 2008 ISF with 38k, bought in October from Lexus with the platinum extended coverage and they won't cover it. Pic attached of items "not covered". Do I have a chance at different dealer?

My condensation started in my drivers side about 1-2 months ago and so far I've just been drying it out with silica packets. Last night my bulb went out and I switched them and it worked on other side. So I am guessing now my ballast is out :/
Attached Thumbnails Ballast Options-img_1090.png  
Old 03-23-17, 10:14 AM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same problem on my oem 08 lights.. seemed like some moisture got to them.

this is where I ordered from:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The following users liked this post:
LexusfanVA (03-23-17)