IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Borla drone eliminated in 20 minutes for 20 bucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-17, 07:11 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm more worried about the exterior sound being muted as well. I love the way the borla catback sounds with someone else driving it near me, but it's mostly due to the very deep low tones. If this removes that sound while removing the drone as well I would be less interested. The only drone I have is in "normal" mode driving around town being quiet. Once I give it some pep and keep it above 2,500 there's zero drone.
Old 02-08-17, 07:24 AM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

For $20 and owning an ISF, I'd say it would be worth a try
Old 02-13-17, 05:22 PM
Tom2769
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom2769
Here are the 60mm that I ordered from eBay (ship from Hong Kong):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311688203365...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I just received these in the mail today. I won't have time to install them until this weekend, but did a quick test fit of the diameter, and they slide into the ISS DES exhaust tips like they were made for each other. I'll report back with results after the weekend...
Old 02-20-17, 08:37 AM
Tom2769
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I finally got around to installing these in my ISS DES Magnaflow mufflers (1 per muffler - in the lower tip), and they do make a big difference in the drone. It is still there, but is greatly reduced. On my setup it really subdues the very low frequency drone I used to get in a higher gear around +/- 1,500 -2,000 rpms. I didn't do any db measurements, but with these silencers, I think the drone is even more reduced than it was by my side-branch resonators. Did some test runs too, and if I am losing any power with these, it's not enough to register on my butt dyno. Cheap fix for drone, and easily reversible. Thanks for this, OP - couldn't be happier.
Old 03-09-17, 12:55 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Just installed these tonight, and can say that they work just like everyone has stated on this thread!! I'm echoing the fact that they reduce drone big time! It's still there but definitely not as annoying

I took it for a short drive tonight and couldn't believe how quiet the car is at all rpm/speeds compared to before. I think someone said they downloaded an app that measured decibels and the reduction of 5-6 db is not exaggerated, may not sound like much but it makes a difference in the cabin.

I put them in the lower exit pipe so that they can be removed easily and re-installed when needed with the set screw that was drilled in. For $17 for the pair you can't go wrong. Just think of it as a poor/cheap mans dual mode Borla exhaust mod that you can do manually

Thx to the OP for stumbling across this mod!
Old 03-09-17, 06:36 AM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How much noise do these silencers take away from the outside? Is it noticeably quieter on the outside as well?

Last edited by ImportISF; 03-09-17 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-09-17, 06:40 AM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ImportISF
Does this also make the exhaust quieter from the outside as well? I'd hate to eliminate the drone to find out I eliminated outside exhaust noise as well
Of course it does!
Old 03-09-17, 08:00 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by STLblueF
Of course it does!
Well then that's disappointing, the Borla is already pretty quiet from the outside. Inside when it drones it feels loud enough to annoy people outside as well, but when I let someone test drive it up and down the block I was surprised at how quiet it was even at full throttle. Quieter than some muscle cars stock exhausts. Was hoping to cut the drone inside without losing the growl outside. Guess I'll have to give it a try myself in the next few weeks.
Old 03-09-17, 08:38 AM
FilwithanF
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Just installed these tonight, and can say that they work just like everyone has stated on this thread!! I'm echoing the fact that they reduce drone big time! It's still there but definitely not as annoying

I took it for a short drive tonight and couldn't believe how quiet the car is at all rpm/speeds compared to before. I think someone said they downloaded an app that measured decibels and the reduction of 5-6 db is not exaggerated, may not sound like much but it makes a difference in the cabin.

I put them in the lower exit pipe so that they can be removed easily and re-installed when needed with the set screw that was drilled in. For $17 for the pair you can't go wrong. Just think of it as a poor/cheap mans dual mode Borla exhaust mod that you can do manually

Thx to the OP for stumbling across this mod!
So glad to hear this worked out for you! It'd be interesting to hear this in person again, remembering how it sounded inside originally lol. Do you think you could take a long trip in the car now, without being annoyed/deaf by the end?
Old 03-09-17, 09:07 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by ImportISF
How much noise do these silencers take away from the outside? Is it noticeably quieter on the outside as well?
Had another local F member with me on the short drive last night and I had him rev the car while I stood outside behind the exhaust about 15-20 ft away and IMO I think the exhaust sounds more refined and less raspy. It does lower the volume a little bit IMO but still has plenty of sound coming out.

I'll update this thread as I get some more seat time with them installed. If I feel that I'm losing any power with the butt dyno I'll let you guys know as well.

Originally Posted by FilwithanF
So glad to hear this worked out for you! It'd be interesting to hear this in person again, remembering how it sounded inside originally lol. Do you think you could take a long trip in the car now, without being annoyed/deaf by the end?
I think so based on last night....................of course give me a text if you want to go for a spin again, you only live around the corner from me
Old 03-09-17, 09:38 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear all you guys are happy with these silencers as well. I'm still happy with the sound, I think the Borla sounds better with these in than without.
My ISF is a daily driver, so I don't want it to be too loud on the 5am cold starts. For you guys that just use it as a weekend muscle car, it's probably going to be a little too quiet for you
Old 03-18-17, 12:38 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just posting to say this definitely WORKS. I have headers and borla axle back...put these on the bottom outlets on the mufflers, and drone is vastly lower and that 2k rpm drone is mostly gone....but exhaust still sounds good. A bit lower but by no means back to stock sound. I personally like it better.
hands down this is for real , works...n bang for buck it can't be beat.
The following users liked this post:
Heyitzkhan (05-23-20)
Old 03-18-17, 08:56 AM
kings222
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this may sounds stupid but I've had these for like a month and am gonna install today...did anyone take off the oem tips to fit these on?
Old 03-18-17, 09:34 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by kings222
I know this may sounds stupid but I've had these for like a month and am gonna install today...did anyone take off the oem tips to fit these on?
I didn't need to remove the OEM tips. I just maneuvered it around behind the bumper and around the Borla tips.
Old 03-19-17, 09:19 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by msgs350
I didn't need to remove the OEM tips. I just maneuvered it around behind the bumper and around the Borla tips.
Same thing here. They work 100%.
wondering if anyone took the smaller insert out of the middle of the insert and tried it without that part?

just thinking it may let more sound out for those that feel it robs too much exhaust audio from them ?
thoughts?