IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Improving KCLV and power...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-16, 05:51 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Seafoam works wonders in all kinds of ways! I've been using it in my 10 years of ownership in my is300. Usually before semi long trips (one where I'll burn thru a full tank of gas there and back), I'll dump an entire can of seafoam into the gas tank! It 100% for a fact, EVERTTIME makes the car idle smoother and improves gas mileage. Another thing that's noticable is the shifts are smoother after a can of seafoam. And before seafoaming, the shifts and idlings seems 100% fine, but afterwards there is a clear improvement.
I've put it in the throttle body a few times to clean out carbon buildup and it def does just that.
I've yet to use it on the F because I was under the impression that the car is too young to need it and that there shouldn't be any carbon buildup in a 30k mile vehicle, etc. But maybe I'm wrong.
And don't confuse seafoam with that crappy GUMOUT fuel treatment they try to sell you Everytime at autoparts stores. It's like $2 a bottle and crappy....Used it once, beating cheap, and felt my car running worse. Seafoam should be around $10 per bottle.

V.
Old 12-22-16, 09:43 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I've read alot of positives on Chevron Techron, never used Seafoam. I think its kinda scary to use all that stuff frequently.....maybe every 30k miles ?
Old 12-22-16, 06:32 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Seafoam works wonders in all kinds of ways! I've been using it in my 10 years of ownership in my is300. Usually before semi long trips (one where I'll burn thru a full tank of gas there and back), I'll dump an entire can of seafoam into the gas tank! It 100% for a fact, EVERTTIME makes the car idle smoother and improves gas mileage. Another thing that's noticable is the shifts are smoother after a can of seafoam. And before seafoaming, the shifts and idlings seems 100% fine, but afterwards there is a clear improvement.
I've put it in the throttle body a few times to clean out carbon buildup and it def does just that.
I've yet to use it on the F because I was under the impression that the car is too young to need it and that there shouldn't be any carbon buildup in a 30k mile vehicle, etc. But maybe I'm wrong.
And don't confuse seafoam with that crappy GUMOUT fuel treatment they try to sell you Everytime at autoparts stores. It's like $2 a bottle and crappy....Used it once, beating cheap, and felt my car running worse. Seafoam should be around $10 per bottle.

V.
The Gumout complete system cleaner should work really well especially with the ethanol in today's fuels. I don't think they sell it at the auto parts stores, but I know home depot does lol.
Old 12-22-16, 07:42 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker4096
The Gumout complete system cleaner should work really well especially with the ethanol in today's fuels. I don't think they sell it at the auto parts stores, but I know home depot does lol.
Maybe I'm thinking about the Lucas oil treatment....Maybe, lol. I'll check next time I'm there.

V.
Old 12-22-16, 07:56 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Maybe I'm thinking about the Lucas oil treatment....Maybe, lol. I'll check next time I'm there.

V.
Gumout makes an injector cleaner in the skinny bottle like the Lucas stuff. That product is not so good, the complete system cleaner is a bigger container like seafoam and works really well. I'm actually going to use a bottle in the near future.
Old 12-23-16, 06:29 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Rafi,
I couldn't help but think about the e85 blending thread our forum had awhile ago. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm wondering if this method would have sufficed for the guys at altitude or sea level? In order to improve the KCLV and power like the e85 blend apparently has been doing.
Old 12-23-16, 08:14 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

We'll find out soon enough, dcguy is trying the seafoam treatment and we'll see if his kclv numbers increase?? He has always had issues with his kclv #'s........
Old 12-23-16, 09:59 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
We'll find out soon enough, dcguy is trying the seafoam treatment and we'll see if his kclv numbers increase?? He has always had issues with his kclv #'s........
Will dcguy be going back to 91 or 93 octane and resetting the values? And then trying this method? Thank you MileHIFcar
Old 12-23-16, 02:30 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

We only have access to 91 octane here, but that's a good question as he blends with E85 like the rest of us up here. I'll ask him what he plans on doing?
Old 12-23-16, 08:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

We only have access to 91 octane here, but that's a good question as he blends with E85 like the rest of us up here. I'll ask him what he plans on doing?
Physics doesn't support needing more than 91 octane at your altitude. You'll need considerable more boost than those of us at lower altitudes to reach the limits of the fuel you have available. PV=nRT is your friend, not your enemy.
Old 12-24-16, 10:12 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

^^^^^Kind of confused by saying that we need considerable more boost at altitude and how that correlates to a KCLV challenged car like dcguy in the above thread? Also how that relates to Ideal Gas Law/Equation?

The E85 blending for us has shown to be useful at increasing our KCLV #'s by increasing the overall octane blend to about 95 (some more than others might be a reference to what you said below about Squish height) and shown to run more timing than other F's here with just straight 91 octane while running the RR tune.

What you said below makes sense and I wonder if that's the issue with guys who have issues raising their KCLV #'s with the tune whether they are at altitude or sea level?

"The other thing you'll likely find with KCLV challenged engines is the deck height isn't optimized so the squish is too great. Squish height is the most critical dimension in a performance engine because it alone determines octane requirements. Get the squish right, and the engine will run ridiculously high compression on crappy fuel. Get it wrong and you'll be scratching your head for years trying to understand why the engine won't run on anything less than the most expensive high octane fuels. Manufacturing tolerance for squish almost invariably puts it in the less than ideal range, and sometimes in the far from good range."

Thx
Old 12-24-16, 04:47 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
Will dcguy be going back to 91 or 93 octane and resetting the values? And then trying this method? Thank you MileHIFcar
I plan to keep the same e30 blend to keep my before and after values consistant.

I pulled my numbers before the seafoam treatment. 18.2 -3k rpm/ 17.4 +3k rpm. Liquidtek joined me on the seafoam adventure, he held the the rpms at about 1250 while I sprayed the can into the throttle body. Also added the seafoam fuel treatment to a half tank of gas. When it was empty, shut the car off for about 15 minutes to let it heat soak, than drove it to burn it all out. There was a ton of smoke, wouldnt recommend doing this treatment in your neighborhood unless you enjoy worrying your neighbors. I drove around for a bit keeping an eye on kclv values. Still have hard knocking in the 2.7-2.9k range driving my below 3 values down. Planning to check values after i burn through this next tank. (Refilled today) so far not seeing any significant improvements directly after treatment, but ill check back in after this tank. 250 miles to go.
Old 12-24-16, 07:17 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

dcguy doing his best rollin coal impression
Old 12-25-16, 12:26 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

^^^^^Kind of confused by saying that we need considerable more boost at altitude and how that correlates to a KCLV challenged car like dcguy in the above thread? Also how that relates to Ideal Gas Law/Equation?

The E85 blending for us has shown to be useful at increasing our KCLV #'s by increasing the overall octane blend to about 95 (some more than others might be a reference to what you said below about Squish height) and shown to run more timing than other F's here with just straight 91 octane while running the RR tune.

What you said below makes sense and I wonder if that's the issue with guys who have issues raising their KCLV #'s with the tune whether they are at altitude or sea level?

"The other thing you'll likely find with KCLV challenged engines is the deck height isn't optimized so the squish is too great. Squish height is the most critical dimension in a performance engine because it alone determines octane requirements. Get the squish right, and the engine will run ridiculously high compression on crappy fuel. Get it wrong and you'll be scratching your head for years trying to understand why the engine won't run on anything less than the most expensive high octane fuels. Manufacturing tolerance for squish almost invariably puts it in the less than ideal range, and sometimes in the far from good range."

Thx
I lived in Denver for a while. I tuned carburetors there a few times. Compression is a mechanical ratio and a dynamic ratio, but in both cases, it start with "what is your ambient pressure?" If the ambient pressure is lower than the pressure at sea level as it is in Denver, then you can run lower octane fuel and get the same detonation resistance you would at sea level. Simple physics related to the universal gas law because the temperature in the cylinder will be less than it would at sea level when the piston is at the top of the stroke. What it really means is, you can run 91 octane at your altitude and your detonation resistance will be the equivalent of running 93 octane at sea level.

At the same time, because you are moving fewer oxygen molecules through the engine on every cycle, you won't make as much power as someone at sea level. Again, basic physics and the universal gas law.

You can calculate all this stuff fairly easily, and if you understand density altitude, none of it should be a surprise.
Old 12-25-16, 09:00 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Thanks for the explanation makes sense, I wonder if Rafi is going to run more boost with the S/C to compensate for altitude up here? Maybe 7-8psi??

Quick Reply: Improving KCLV and power...