IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Improving KCLV and power...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-16, 05:19 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Thanks for the explanation makes sense, I wonder if Rafi is going to run more boost with the S/C to compensate for altitude up here? Maybe 7-8psi??
Its not really a question of running more boost, its more an issue of increasing the boost so that it matches the lower altitude levels. If you are running 7psi near sea level on an SC, that will fall to about 4.5 psi at 5000ft.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 12-26-16, 08:34 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

^^^^^ Didn't you say that the boost level will be @ 5.5 psi and peak at 7psi?

So what does that mean for us at altitude will it be @ 3 psi and peak at 4.5 psi
Old 12-26-16, 10:53 AM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^^^ Didn't you say that the boost level will be @ 5.5 psi and peak at 7psi?

So what does that mean for us at altitude will it be @ 3 psi and peak at 4.5 psi
Time also moves slower for you than it does for someone at lower altitudes. Over about 4 days you'll age 400 nanoseconds slower than someone at sea level. About 6/1000th of a day over the average human American male's lifespan.

Old 12-26-16, 12:05 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Then you can negate that advantage by smoking 1 cigarette = 6 min off your life
Old 12-26-16, 01:51 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The SC is an air pump. If the incoming psia is 12.2 then you're at a 2.5 psia disadvantage. Psia is absolute pressure. If you see psig that's gauge pressure. Guage pressure is relative. Absolute pressure (as well as temp.) is a measurement versus its absence. A better number if you're trying to see the entire picture.
Old 12-26-16, 06:01 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Hence why I was asking, or just curious if Rafi was going to have as an option for people at altitude to run a smaller pulley to compensate since were starting at -2.5 psi disadvantage compared to sea level?

Maybe this conversation should transfer over to the S/C thread....
Old 01-02-17, 01:58 AM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Just checking back in. Have went through 2.5 tanks (e30 blend) since the seafoam. Just pulled my numbers 17.5 -3k and 17.9 +3k. Seafoam didnt give me any gains on this side, im sure running an agressive tune at altitude is the main cause. On the stock tune i can get my numbers in the range of 19-21. Overall, im sure the cleaning helped more than anything, don't be discouraged from giving it a shot! Rr intake is coming in soon, curious to see the numbers on this as well, assuming more air will be packed into the cylinders, might help with knock as well
Old 01-02-17, 07:47 AM
cjblair
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've done a bit of searching and I have a couple noob KCLV questions, this thread seems like a decent place to ask them...

1. How do I read KCLV? Do I need Techstream and some fancy cable, or is there an easy way? (i.e. bluetooth OBDII reader or something)

2. Is KCLV constantly changing? Is it critical to reset the ECU after seafoaming, or will it correct over the next couple tanks of fuel on it's own?

Sorry if these are dumb questions or if they've been answered elsewhere already and I haven't found them, and TIA!
Old 01-03-17, 12:38 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Hence why I was asking, or just curious if Rafi was going to have as an option for people at altitude to run a smaller pulley to compensate since were starting at -2.5 psi disadvantage compared to sea level?

Maybe this conversation should transfer over to the S/C thread....
Or just email or PM me and I will explain.

Originally Posted by dcguy
Just checking back in. Have went through 2.5 tanks (e30 blend) since the seafoam. Just pulled my numbers 17.5 -3k and 17.9 +3k. Seafoam didnt give me any gains on this side, im sure running an agressive tune at altitude is the main cause. On the stock tune i can get my numbers in the range of 19-21. Overall, im sure the cleaning helped more than anything, don't be discouraged from giving it a shot! Rr intake is coming in soon, curious to see the numbers on this as well, assuming more air will be packed into the cylinders, might help with knock as well
I think it helps to reset the ECU after doing this, then to do long pulls in high gear in the 2500-5500 rpm range. Reset the ECU by disconnecting battery and hitting the brakes, then reconnect. That will take your KCLV back to the default value of 15.

Originally Posted by cjblair
I've done a bit of searching and I have a couple noob KCLV questions, this thread seems like a decent place to ask them...

1. How do I read KCLV? Do I need Techstream and some fancy cable, or is there an easy way? (i.e. bluetooth OBDII reader or something)

2. Is KCLV constantly changing? Is it critical to reset the ECU after seafoaming, or will it correct over the next couple tanks of fuel on it's own?

Sorry if these are dumb questions or if they've been answered elsewhere already and I haven't found them, and TIA!

KCLV is read with Toyota Techstream software which can be purchased with a cheap cable on Amazon.

Old 01-03-17, 12:42 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Or just email or PM me and I will explain.

I think it helps to reset the ECU after doing this, then to do long pulls in high gear in the 2500-5500 rpm range. Reset the ECU by disconnecting battery and hitting the brakes, then reconnect. That will take your KCLV back to the default value of 15.

KCLV is read with Toyota Techstream software which can be purchased with a cheap cable on Amazon.
Make sure that you have a cable with the latest Firmware though. I have trouble with the older firmware on my cable, 1.4 or something.
Old 01-03-17, 12:44 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

This pic was recently sent to us by an ISF customer, although it certainly seems unusually ugly, or maybe its quite common, who knows!:

Old 01-03-17, 12:45 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
This pic was recently sent to us by an ISF customer, although it certainly seems unusually ugly, or maybe its quite commen, who knows!:

Can that even be cleaned without removing the head and valves?
Old 01-03-17, 12:51 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Damn!! can you say carbon build up!! Holy ****.......
Old 01-03-17, 01:14 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm pretty surprised seafoam is still around. Could you pull the vacuum line and run the liquid version of seafoam through? Don't like the idea of feeding a plastic straw through my TB.
Old 01-03-17, 01:55 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

That Audi RS5 bad, which generally requires a walnut shell media blast. Thought the auxiliary injectors was supposed to prevent that haha

Quick Reply: Improving KCLV and power...