IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Improving KCLV and power...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-16, 04:32 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I let it sit for about 15 minutes. A lot of smoke came out. I have a long video. Lol
Old 12-20-16, 04:43 PM
DroCityLex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mahcah
I let it sit for about 15 minutes. A lot of smoke came out. I have a long video. Lol
did you spray into the throttle body while the car was running? i watched a seafoam video on youtube and thats what they did
Old 12-20-16, 04:44 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mahcah
Do it like this
thanks mahcah!!!!
Old 12-20-16, 05:21 PM
mahcah
Racer

Originally Posted by DroCityLex
did you spray into the throttle body while the car was running? i watched a seafoam video on youtube and thats what they did
Nope I didn't. Like said, I let it sit.
Old 12-20-16, 05:23 PM
mahcah
Racer

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
thanks mahcah!!!!
you're welcome
Old 12-20-16, 07:15 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 1,412 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Why not just use water? I do that all the time before a teardown to minimize the carbon clean up. It generates the same clouds of "smoke" seafoam does and it isn't a hydrocarbon that will dilute your oil.

The key to any of these methods is to get the engine really hot. It's the sudden temperature differential that makes the carbon come off.

The other thing you'll likely find with KCLV challenged engines is the deck height isn't optimized so the squish is too great. Squish height is the most critical dimension in a performance engine because it alone determines octane requirements. Get the squish right, and the engine will run ridiculously high compression on crappy fuel. Get it wrong and you'll be scratching your head for years trying to understand why the engine won't run on anything less than the most expensive high octane fuels. Manufacturing tolerance for squish almost invariably puts it in the less than ideal range, and sometimes in the far from good range.
Water is certainly another good option.

Regarding KCLV challenged engines, I think the 2UR-GSE's are actually extremely consistent. In fact one of our challenges since we began tuning a year ago is that ALL the local cars we tune behave exactly as we expect and ramp KCLV very consistently, so it was only in th course of evaluating datalogs of dozens of ISF's all over the country that we started seeing some variability.

In any case, the extent to which the decarb procedure helped actually really took me by surprise. Previously, I felt that fuel quality/formulation and engine tolerance was the source for some of the variability we saw.

So if anyone is considering doing this, make a note of your KCLV before doing the decarb... reset the ECU after the decarb, and see if it advances to a higher value after running a full tank.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 12-21-16, 07:33 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I will be trying this soon as my KCLV goes up and then after a fill up or two it goes back down.

So I should use sea foam (spray) on the intake manifold (like the pic in this thread) while the car is switched on, spray the bottle until its empty, turn the car off for 5 mins then go for a drive to remove the rest of the Sea foam.

Reset ECU and datalog to see if there's an improvement.

Have I gotten all of this correct?
Old 12-21-16, 09:33 AM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

After doing Seafoam do we need to change plugs or o2 sensors?...So u just ( with car off ) spray into intake behind throttle body ( a good amount) and let sit 10-15 min....then connect air intake back up and reset ECU and run car til it stops smoking?
Old 12-21-16, 09:40 AM
mahcah
Racer

Shouldn't need to change anything.

That's what I did.

Gonna go back to E85 blend after this tank of gas. Noticed higher MPG btw.
Old 12-21-16, 12:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,079 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Water is certainly another good option.

Regarding KCLV challenged engines, I think the 2UR-GSE's are actually extremely consistent. In fact one of our challenges since we began tuning a year ago is that ALL the local cars we tune behave exactly as we expect and ramp KCLV very consistently, so it was only in th course of evaluating datalogs of dozens of ISF's all over the country that we started seeing some variability.

In any case, the extent to which the decarb procedure helped actually really took me by surprise. Previously, I felt that fuel quality/formulation and engine tolerance was the source for some of the variability we saw.

So if anyone is considering doing this, make a note of your KCLV before doing the decarb... reset the ECU after the decarb, and see if it advances to a higher value after running a full tank.

Rafi
The other thing to try is run a different brand of gasoline. The only difference between brands is the additive packages (the base fuel is the same in any given market for ALL brands), and I learned from a petrochemical engineer that many of the additive packages are antagonistic, meaning what builds up from one brand gets stripped off by another brand. So I routinely use different brands of gas in my car just to minimize carbon build up. I know it works, I've seen the results. Brand loyalty with gasoline isn't a good thing.
Old 12-21-16, 12:44 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The other thing to try is run a different brand of gasoline. The only difference between brands is the additive packages (the base fuel is the same in any given market for ALL brands), and I learned from a petrochemical engineer that many of the additive packages are antagonistic, meaning what builds up from one brand gets stripped off by another brand. So I routinely use different brands of gas in my car just to minimize carbon build up. I know it works, I've seen the results. Brand loyalty with gasoline isn't a good thing.
What brands to you use? I usually only put shell in mine.
Old 12-21-16, 01:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,079 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Pretty much anything. RaceTrac, Shell, Kroger, QT - doesn't matter to me, Gasoline is a commodity.
Old 12-21-16, 05:26 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Some clarification on the application would be helpful. I've only used intake cleaner with the car running. This is drawn some interest to me due to having a KCLV challenged car. Spray an entire can into the intake manifold just past the butteryfly making sweeps to drench the entire inside? Or just point and shoot? Does the sea foam expand like great stuff or more runny like wd-40? Let sit for 15 mins. Apologies I have never used this product, I would love to monitor this and report my findings to this thread
Old 12-22-16, 05:23 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Originally Posted by dcguy
Some clarification on the application would be helpful. I've only used intake cleaner with the car running. This is drawn some interest to me due to having a KCLV challenged car. Spray an entire can into the intake manifold just past the butteryfly making sweeps to drench the entire inside? Or just point and shoot? Does the sea foam expand like great stuff or more runny like wd-40? Let sit for 15 mins. Apologies I have never used this product, I would love to monitor this and report my findings to this thread
You spray it with the car running, before the throttle body or if you use a can of cleaner you can just connected it to the vacuum port behind the throttlebody and suck it in slowly.

Rafi

Old 12-22-16, 05:27 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
thanks mahcah!!!!
Actually, you really want to be doing this with the car running, that way it distributes evenly and doesn't puddle up on the bottom of the intake manifold.

Rafi

Quick Reply: Improving KCLV and power...