IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Member experience/feedback with exhaust mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-16, 04:27 AM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushtape
Yep even with windows up it was getting sucked in, they said they don't smell it which i kind of believe but it's pretty strong being behind it. lol

Made me rethink getting headers and now can't decide, until of course someone puts up some on classifieds for a great price.
Yeah I have the Borla with Magnaflow as well, which removes the secondary cats. I really opened up yesterday and amazingly I did not smell quite as much as I have before on WOT with the factory exhaust, and that was with the windows down, but the smell was still there enough for the girlfriend to go "stinky".

That being said, here's a thread started by another member who got the Borla exhaust as well, put it on the dyno and got some power out of it. The power, lack of droning, and adding RR's quad tip Magnaflow mufflers is why I went this route. As iconic as the faux tips in the bumper are, it still bothered me knowing they weren't attached.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...and-24wtq.html
Old 10-10-16, 04:27 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Like others have said even just an exhaust changes the personality of the car, even more so with headers I imagine. Cant go wrong with the exhaust options we have for the F.
Old 10-10-16, 04:35 AM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is phone video, so it really does not do justice. But I get a lot of compliments on the sound. Opened it up in a tunnel in DC yesterday, and it was deafening.

Old 10-10-16, 07:22 AM
flawless
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, great feedback!

I'm OK with cutting the exhaust to weld in cats, though Josh seems to mention headers that may have them already welded in ("catted headers")?

I really want the power curve of the headers but cant trade that for a horrible daily driving experience. It seems that the noise levels would be OK and there is concern about fumes due to the lack of cats which could be solved by welding them in.
Old 10-10-16, 08:20 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Minh93
I love the straight pipe sounds, it sounds extremely aggressive. So are you still running straight pipe or switch to another set up??
I bought my car with the straight pipe setup along with other mods I wasn't fond of. I then traded the car in for a fully stock Obsidian. It was the color I truly wanted. I rocked the Stock exhaust for about a year and then bought the ISS Forged QES. A picture of it in post 2 and video of it in post 3. Not my video but an example of my setup.
Old 10-10-16, 01:06 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm considering ppe headers shortly.
I daily drive my car. About 600-800 Miles a week.

Back in March I had a shop make me custom bolt on straight pipes to my Joez exhaust so that I could switch back and forth when pleased.

I drove on this setup which was sooooo addictive. Had so many people pull up beside and give me the signal to hear my exhaust. All the domestic v8 were curious on the road.

Some how I got use to the sound butwill not lie it did have drone at the 65-75 mph range. The shop offered to put drone tubes to push the resonance to a different speed range.

The pipes were tig welded and had the exact flange as the Joez exhaust.

Just last week I switched back to the Joez exhaust and it felt like I went back to a stock exhaust. I had to even check if I left rags in the holes of the exhaust that it was so quiet lol.
Truth is that I got use to the straight pipe.

However immediately I noticed my low end torque is back.

But the sound of wot on straight pipe is ridiculous.
Old 10-11-16, 12:43 AM
SlowXIsf
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clarionguy
I'm considering ppe headers shortly.
I daily drive my car. About 600-800 Miles a week.

Back in March I had a shop make me custom bolt on straight pipes to my Joez exhaust so that I could switch back and forth when pleased.

I drove on this setup which was sooooo addictive. Had so many people pull up beside and give me the signal to hear my exhaust. All the domestic v8 were curious on the road.

Some how I got use to the sound butwill not lie it did have drone at the 65-75 mph range. The shop offered to put drone tubes to push the resonance to a different speed range.

The pipes were tig welded and had the exact flange as the Joez exhaust.

Just last week I switched back to the Joez exhaust and it felt like I went back to a stock exhaust. I had to even check if I left rags in the holes of the exhaust that it was so quiet lol.
Truth is that I got use to the straight pipe.

However immediately I noticed my low end torque is back.

But the sound of wot on straight pipe is ridiculous.
so you noticed more low end with mufflers back on. what about top end?
Old 10-11-16, 11:15 AM
IredSF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SoulFreak

I fell in love when I saw what the ISS Forged QES Track version had to offer. Especially, after watching Steve Meades video. I was warned of the loud noise levels, but welcomed it. I've also learned with PPE headers, it takes the noise to insane levels. Which I'm looking forward to...lol. As it stands, it drones very loudly in the cabin, everything vibrates. For some odd reason as bad as that may seem, it isn't an obnoxious sound or drone. The tone and rumble is veeery deep and loud. Everyone who rides in the car is completely blown away from the sound. Once I drop a gear and disappear, it feels and sounds like the earth is shattering beneath me. Like I mentioned before, I snap more necks than Steven Segal...lol. I can't wait for headers one day.
go EL!!! (For QES)

sounds UNREAL!

here's what that exact setup sounds like
Old 10-11-16, 11:47 AM
Jmt1011
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm FBO with Borla, PPE, and RR racing tuned intake. Love the power increase. Mine is not a daily driver so I'm ok with the sound and smell. If it was a daily, I would leave exhaust and headers alone. While coasting its of course nice and mellow. Any throttle pressure the drone is harsh. The smell is very strong but again, I'm ok for nice weather driving a handful of times a week.
Old 01-14-17, 11:09 PM
CHOCO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My ISF is equiped with ISS Forged Des exhuast , its sounds nice and deep and i like the look of the exhaust as will . although for daily driving its has some drone between 1.5k to 2.5k RPM.

Is there any one experiencing the same & is there any thing i can do to redues the drone .

Thanks