IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Kick me in the....NUTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-16, 04:18 PM
mmartin061
banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kick me in the....NUTS

Sold the 08' worst thing. Had the itch found a bone stock with a not a %100 past. The drivers side rear was "cut" out and tac welded instead of bondo. The right rear resprayed and the trunk resprayed. Had an independant shop look at it before I drove to potentially buy it. The gentleman that talked to me had been doing auto body for 38 years, they have good reviews, didn't charge me a dime and pretty much went over it with a fine tooth comb saying that he "Would have no second thoughts" about buying the car. He said everything was done as good as it could be. And who tac welds anymore instead of bondo? All I will say is that it is a post 2010 model in my fav color combo that I have never even seen available. Yes like that USB on red. Lol. 46k I am going to fish for some maintenance record after Lexus records.. he is asking 35k. Thoughts you veterans???? Oh boy. I sold one 3 weeks ago and now need another one. Wth is wrong with me?
Old 06-10-16, 04:20 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

nothing wrong with you :P , now get the 2011 model or newer :P .
Old 06-10-16, 04:29 PM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by ISF4life
nothing wrong with you :P , now get the 2011 model or newer :P .
Ya but I am trying to figure out pricing. One can fudge taxes a bit when registering from private. He has i priced about 3k lower than a "clean" same MY with a little bit less miles. I want to know the car faxes and autocheks and **** are correct stating there was work done. But what is the value of "quality of work done"? Is it worth 3k less than a "clean" titled one with a bit less miles on it from a dealership? Provided it has the "best" in MYHO color combo and rarest? I'm not a first time F owner. But would be potentially 2nd time F owner because I made a grievous mistake
Old 06-10-16, 05:23 PM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Bondo is used to fill voids such as dents or when a panel has been welded together to give the appearance of a smooth finish.

*In my experience.* When a quarter panel is damaged enough that warrented replacement they cut the bad section and put a new section in. This saves the company money since a lot of quarter panels are the quarter panel, sail or c pillar, roof end cap, and a pillar all in one. How does this save money? Keeps the damage isolated to one area on the car which equals less work which equals less prep which equals less paint. After the panel is welded together, heat from the welds will actually distort the panel a bit, bondo or other body filler is used to hide the seam and make the panel appear straight.

There is nothing wrong with what that shop did to repair that panel. Not preferred by my standards but acceptable. Glad you got back to another F!

Last edited by Lmood; 06-11-16 at 03:52 AM.
Old 06-10-16, 05:29 PM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by Lmood
Bondo is used to fill voids such as dents or when a panel has been welded together to give the appearance of a smooth finish.

When a quarter panel is damaged enough that warrented replacement they cut the bad section and a new section in. This saves the company money since a lot of quarter panels are the quarter panel, sail or c pillar, roof end cap, and a pillar all in one. How does this save money? Keeps the damage isolated to one area on the car which equals less work which equals less prep which equals less paint. After the panel is welded together, heat from the welds will actually distort the panel a bit, bondo or other body filler is used to hide the seam and make the panel appear straight.

There is nothing wrong with what that shop did to repair that panel. Not preferred by my standards but acceptable. Glad you got back to another F!

Arrrgggggh. It isn't bought. All I can say is wow. By far the best forum I have been a part of. I had no idea. But yes I have head about having a "section" of a car replaced.
Pm me I want to pick you brain a bit.
Old 06-10-16, 05:33 PM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Ye sorry after I posted that I saw that you were looking.
Old 06-10-16, 06:34 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

You can flip F's now every couple weeks lol................

Kidding aside, what happened? You sold your first F a couple weeks ago?
Old 06-10-16, 10:24 PM
TheBuyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmartin061
Sold the 08' worst thing. Had the itch found a bone stock with a not a %100 past. The drivers side rear was "cut" out and tac welded instead of bondo. The right rear resprayed and the trunk resprayed. Had an independant shop look at it before I drove to potentially buy it. The gentleman that talked to me had been doing auto body for 38 years, they have good reviews, didn't charge me a dime and pretty much went over it with a fine tooth comb saying that he "Would have no second thoughts" about buying the car. He said everything was done as good as it could be. And who tac welds anymore instead of bondo? All I will say is that it is a post 2010 model in my fav color combo that I have never even seen available. Yes like that USB on red. Lol. 46k I am going to fish for some maintenance record after Lexus records.. he is asking 35k. Thoughts you veterans???? Oh boy. I sold one 3 weeks ago and now need another one. Wth is wrong with me?
A rewelded quarter panel is frame damage, but if you are going to buy a car with frame damage, it's best that it is in the back part of the vehicle. A safe bet on figuring out a price with this history is finding market value of an F that has no damage and then subtract $2k-$3k for the history and prior paintwork etc. Personally I wouldn't pay over $34k. This is the time of the year that the used car market sales decline because of model year closeout. Deals can be had even for the F.

Last edited by TheBuyer; 06-10-16 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-11-16, 06:27 AM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
You can flip F's now every couple weeks lol................

Kidding aside, what happened? You sold your first F a couple weeks ago?
No I didn't make a dime off that deal. I lost because of my Houston flight, hotel, gas and paying for taxes to rgister it. I should never have sold it I got a damn itch agai . Not saying I am buying another one just looking again The color combo I have not seen yet to date for sale. At least I haven't. I think I want the fun of building it as well from stock
Old 06-11-16, 08:08 AM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

If you're comfortable with buying an F with a branded title, go for it.

The only person whose approval matters is you. And the lender if you're financing it.
Old 06-11-16, 08:36 AM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by tas02
If you're comfortable with buying an F with a branded title, go for it.

The only person whose approval matters is you. And the lender if you're financing it.
Actually it doesn't appear on the title. It isn't branded since the car wasn't written off. Just shows structral damage on carfax. It is a risk buying it since not many people would touch it.
Old 06-11-16, 09:45 AM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Great to hear that 3 weeks on you're now in a financial position to consider a vehicle that will be much more difficult to sell, even without a branded title.
Old 06-11-16, 09:54 AM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by tas02
Great to hear that 3 weeks on you're now in a financial position to consider a vehicle that will be much more difficult to sell, even without a branded title.
Is there an issue with what I do with my money, my life? Both the person I sold my car to and bought it from have been very happy how I conducted my business. If I buy one tomorrw sell it the next day buy one the next, sell it a day after. Does it really matter? The only thing that matters is I am on honest person and that I am upfront with my decisions which 2 people will vouche for. Did I say I was in a financial position? I never wasn't in one not to have it. And I don't have to explain to you or anyone else. I work in an industry that is very volatile. Things happen on a day to day basis. I regret selling my first one. But in the end it made me also realize I may want to build my own someday and not have it predone. Why not embrace things in the community here and be happy for people instead of having smart *** remarks?
Old 06-11-16, 10:01 AM
TheBuyer
Driver School Candidate

OP, Is the title branded or does it have an accident history via Autocheck or Carfax? I only ask because branded title is far worse than a accident history.
Old 06-11-16, 10:04 AM
TheBuyer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheBuyer
OP, Is the title branded or does it have an accident history via Autocheck or Carfax? I only ask because branded title is far worse than a accident history.
Never mind, I just saw your reply.

Quick Reply: Kick me in the....NUTS