IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2008 navigation to 2012+ navigation swap

Old 04-15-16, 10:25 AM
tripp03
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2008 navigation to 2012+ navigation swap

Good afternoon ladies and gents.

Was curious if anyone has attempted / succeeded at installing a newer navigation unit from a 2012+ into a 2008. I found an older article back from 2012 but cannot find anything recent. Is it possible and if so, what's involved? Just like the "piano black" buttons along with BT streaming functionality.

Any help / insight ya'll would be fantastic.

By the way, it would be a 08 ML to a 2012 ML if that matters any... (not sure if it does or not)

Last edited by tripp03; 04-15-16 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-15-16, 10:36 AM
dprada01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been researching and although people say it wouldn't work because the plugs are different it should still be possible. If people have upgraded their 06 is250 no ml to 2012 ml with bt streaming why can't we? I'm pretty sure we just have to get some pigtails and start cutting away with the wiring diagrams on hand.
Old 04-15-16, 10:46 AM
tripp03
Driver School Candidate

dprada, I'm right there with ya! Just odd that nothing has been posted on it yet...
Old 04-16-16, 04:39 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

I would just do this-
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...is-models.html
Old 04-16-16, 09:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,323 Posts

My fav...hacked wiring harnesses. Nothing but mystery problems from weak connections and internal breaks. One of the big reasons I don't want to buy anything automotive used.
Old 04-17-16, 02:40 PM
drgman
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone used the beatsonic system? I am curious if it is worth it.
Old 04-17-16, 04:47 PM
Rickna
Racer

Originally Posted by drgman
I have been looking into it. I'm not too happy with the ML system.

Last edited by Rickna; 04-17-16 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-17-16, 06:14 PM
redcrxsi
Driver

You could get an ivic, I wasn't clear on your goals, if only Bluetooth just get an ivic and be done with it. Sure the Hard Disk nav is better then DVD but still pretty old and not even close to iPhone/android. imo

http://www.vaistech.com/site/iVIC-i.php
Old 04-18-16, 04:25 AM
tripp03
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redcrxsi
You could get an ivic, I wasn't clear on your goals, if only Bluetooth just get an ivic and be done with it. Sure the Hard Disk nav is better then DVD but still pretty old and not even close to iPhone/android. imo

I guess my goal is that I like the functionality of the newer nav system such as BT, weather as well as the aesthetic look of the black piano vs the dull grey.
Old 04-18-16, 05:57 AM
96300NAZ
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate my ivic unit. Having to constantly keep the app open (iPhone) while playing ipod content is annoying. Meanwhile the Pandora function works without using the app and you are free to use the phone as normal. And since they don't make a cable of their own you have to use the lightning to hdmi adapter. Since it's short you're forced to use an extension cable. Which the only one available out there tends to stop working after a few months. So I resorted to hooking directly to the hdmi adapter but even that wasn't designed to be moved around a lot. So that too breaks every couple months. Also, notifications don't play through while using it (unlike every other stereo, aftermarket or oem). And there's no Bluetooth streaming option either. I have a few other complaints about it but you get the point.

I will be looking at this beat sonic unit heavily as it wasn't available when I got my ivic.
Old 04-18-16, 06:50 AM
dprada01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drgman
I'm going to be ordering the kit soon. The videos seem promising especially if you pick up a decent quality app radio.
Old 04-18-16, 07:02 AM
Rickna
Racer

Originally Posted by dprada01
I'm going to be ordering the kit soon. The videos seem promising especially if you pick up a decent quality app radio.
I am about to pull the trigger on this too. I'm going with a Pioneer AVIC-7100NEX. What steering wheel control do you plan on using?
Old 04-18-16, 07:09 AM
redcrxsi
Driver

Originally Posted by 96300NAZ
I hate my ivic unit. Having to constantly keep the app open (iPhone) while playing ipod content is annoying. Meanwhile the Pandora function works without using the app and you are free to use the phone as normal. And since they don't make a cable of their own you have to use the lightning to hdmi adapter. Since it's short you're forced to use an extension cable. Which the only one available out there tends to stop working after a few months. So I resorted to hooking directly to the hdmi adapter but even that wasn't designed to be moved around a lot. So that too breaks every couple months. Also, notifications don't play through while using it (unlike every other stereo, aftermarket or oem). And there's no Bluetooth streaming option either. I have a few other complaints about it but you get the point.

I will be looking at this beat sonic unit heavily as it wasn't available when I got my ivic.
Thanks for the feedback! - I've thought about getting this myself but doesn't sound like that good of a product. I thought I read in their manual it did have Bluetooth though, perhaps that was the android version? Or I just miss understood what the Bluetooth could be used for.
Old 04-19-16, 06:25 AM
96300NAZ
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the feedback! - I've thought about getting this myself but doesn't sound like that good of a product. I thought I read in their manual it did have Bluetooth though, perhaps that was the android version? Or I just miss understood what the Bluetooth could be used for.
Bluetooth is used for the steering controls. No audio streaming for the iPhone version. I can't comment on the Android version. Also, one complaint was the lack of updates. I think there are more features of features other aftermarket radios are already doing that they could be trying to implement to keep the product fresh. But they aren't.
Old 04-19-16, 07:28 AM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickna
I am about to pull the trigger on this too. I'm going with a Pioneer AVIC-7100NEX. What steering wheel control do you plan on using?
rickna

thanks for the link! I didn't know this was possible!

Also you will be very happy with the pioneer unit. I am running on in my STi.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 navigation to 2012+ navigation swap