IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Both headlights won't turn on, I don't think it's the ballast or bulbs...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-16, 12:13 AM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Both headlights won't turn on, I don't think it's the ballast or bulbs...

I did search and I couldn't find the same problem so please bear with me.

Ok so a couple months ago I had water in on my passenger headlight which made the ballast go out so I had it replaced with what I thought was a real Denso ballast. I don't think it was because a week later it started flickering so the ebay seller gave me a replacement. I installed it and it seemed fine but not perfect. Last week the same headlight started dimmer than the other light so the ebay seller just refunded my money. I went ahead and just purchased a used ballast off a lexus which is on its way.

Now just tonight, I go to leave my house and neither light wants to turn on. The driver side never gave any signs of messing up. I tried turning them off and on which usually did the trick, but nothing at all happened. I tried putting new bulbs I had and still nothing. I checked every headlight fuse I saw with a tester and they all seem fine (engine compartment Type A and B).

I find it highly unlikely that both ballast would go out at exactly the same time especially since the driver side never showed signs of messing up ever. Every other bulb in the headlight works and i hear a click in the engine compartment type A from the relay when the low beams are supposed to light up.

I'm getting really tired of opening the headlights to replace the ballast. I am thinking of going with an aftermarket HID kit if I cannot figure this out. I will be taking the headlights out in the morning and seeing if they are getting voltage but other than that I cannot think of anything else it could be. Any ideas?
Old 03-20-16, 07:27 AM
plusONEran
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

still sounds like ballast to me and maybe even bulbs at this point due to the ballast wearing them out. when you pulled the ballast the first time was there corrosion from water? when it comes to things like that, i have never had good luck with aftermarket.. even though branded, it could be a knock off. i dont chance it and only go after new oem rather than dealing with back and forth headaches. used ones could be in any condition as well. its not like a used body panel, it is something that can go out unpredictably.
Old 12-19-18, 07:59 PM
Rockinitup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like you have a bad ground.
Old 12-19-18, 08:31 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Seems to me like you’re over two years late in responding.
Old 12-20-18, 01:36 AM
eddyisf
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

☝🏽 😂