IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

CALIFORNIA SMOG TEST with just a OBD port test?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-15, 09:02 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Exclamation CALIFORNIA SMOG TEST with just a OBD port test?

Recently, I went with my buddy to get his car smogged. He has a 2003 mitsubishi lancer. All the shop did was plug in their obd scanner and did a quick visual test. In less then 10 mins, we were on our way. No probe into the tailpipe. I looked at the smog report and there seems to be no "emissions test" I know CA did some changes and i heard about the new obd scan check but I never experienced it until yesterday. Has it come now that vehicles years 2000 and up ECUs can read emissions test such as HC,NO, and CO reading through the new CA smog check OBD tool? Need more info on this.
Old 10-11-15, 10:11 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You just answered your own question.

It's been known CA doesn't go into the tailpipe anymore. Google is also your friend.

Maybe ask a more specific question?
Old 10-11-15, 11:12 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by lolfunxion
You just answered your own question.

It's been known CA doesn't go into the tailpipe anymore. Google is also your friend.

Maybe ask a more specific question?
I've google the info and still did not find the answer. Does our ecu report Hc,NO, and CO readings through the CA smog test OBD Scan?
Old 10-11-15, 11:51 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

sounds like AZ smog. I was in and out in 6 minutes and even got a reciept. I was blown away and all this with a Joe Z exhaust and a AOS. LOVE IT !
Old 10-11-15, 11:54 AM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I went in to smog opened hood connected obd2 . And vamonos I have secondary cats removed straight pipes. Passed 40 bucks and on my way .
Old 10-12-15, 02:29 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Miqueaseli
I went in to smog opened hood connected obd2 . And vamonos I have secondary cats removed straight pipes. Passed 40 bucks and on my way .
It's all about the money!! Environment? Yeah right! Revenue? Absolutely!
Old 10-12-15, 02:31 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2000 model year and newer vehicles (except for vehicles 14,000 GVWR or greater) no longer require the tailpipe portion of the smog inspection.
http://www.smogtips.com/new-smog-law-ab-2289.cfm
Old 10-13-15, 09:24 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm curious what the new equipment that they are using to read the ECU is looking for. Is it simply looking for the same items that would trigger the check engine light? Or does it do some sort of "deep dive" into the ECU looking for data that that nobody would ever have access to?

If the equipment is simply looking for the same items that trigger the check engine light, then this may be a good thing for ISF owners who have I/H/E being that there are no ECU tuning capabilities for our car. Theoretically, if SIM's were used correctly for header installs, and no check engine lights were on, the ECU should just tell the new equipment that everything is okay (despite haveing no cats, hi-flow cats, etc).
Old 10-13-15, 10:33 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
I'm curious what the new equipment that they are using to read the ECU is looking for. Is it simply looking for the same items that would trigger the check engine light? Or does it do some sort of "deep dive" into the ECU looking for data that that nobody would ever have access to?

If the equipment is simply looking for the same items that trigger the check engine light, then this may be a good thing for ISF owners who have I/H/E being that there are no ECU tuning capabilities for our car. Theoretically, if SIM's were used correctly for header installs, and no check engine lights were on, the ECU should just tell the new equipment that everything is okay (despite haveing no cats, hi-flow cats, etc).
Exactly what I am thinking. I am very curious to see if the obd port used for smog can do.
Old 10-14-15, 09:50 PM
VMRWheels
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I don't personally drive an IS-F, my car has CAI, Headers and exhaust. All i did was roll up and show them all my CARB stickers.
Plugged in that OBD reader, ran the test and I was on my way
Old 10-14-15, 10:13 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

semnosNSX, your theory is actually much closer to what could be the truth. While the dyno roller isn't needed for 2000-2001 and up cars the equipment may actually be able to detect reflashes by verifying the checksums in the ECU. Every time you flash any ECU this is the trace it leaves and it's a tipoff that the programming may have been changed.

So far no one has complained about not passing a smog test in any car with an ECU reflash but the technology to detect this is available. Remains to be seen what the ARB will do in that regard.
Old 10-14-15, 10:41 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
semnosNSX, your theory is actually much closer to what could be the truth. While the dyno roller isn't needed for 2000-2001 and up cars the equipment may actually be able to detect reflashes by verifying the checksums in the ECU. Every time you flash any ECU this is the trace it leaves and it's a tipoff that the programming may have been changed.

So far no one has complained about not passing a smog test in any car with an ECU reflash but the technology to detect this is available. Remains to be seen what the ARB will do in that regard.
I hope you are correct. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the new equipment just looks at surface level data and nothing more. I actually have to get my car smogged by next month, but I only have an exhaust so I'm not too worried. However, I am seriously considering PPE headers, but haven't pulled the trigger yet due to our lovely smog laws here in Cali.
Old 10-19-15, 01:31 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ I hope so as well. Also, I'm keeping an eye on the way the DMCA is being leveraged by John Deere & GM et al as a copyright protection measure for OEM ECUs. That's still being debated in Washington. Thankfully that's not yet an issue.