IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Rear Lower Control Arm Bushing Question and Nagging Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-15, 11:49 AM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Rear Lower Control Arm Bushing Question and Nagging Noise

Does anyone have any experience with the sound of a bad lower control arm (LCA) bushing for the REAR of our cars? I can find a lot of good info and YouTube clips for the front LCA's and available options and the reason I am asking is I am trying to decipher an absolutely annoying inner-cabin faint noise/creaking sound coming from the right rear area. The sound is heard when going very slow and no steady cause other than a slow turn (ie. no sounds during braking or going over bumps, brake depressed, not depressed, steep incline, not as steep...). There definitely is no thumping sounds. Car handles well, just the annoying sporadic creak. I cannot hear it on the outside of the car and no creaking sound (inside or out) when pushing/bouncing on the trunk/bumper area.

I have tried to record the sound to post but my phone will not pick it up (but my freaking bionic ear does!) and the tech could not duplicate the sound at the dealership but assured me, everything was safe and tight and retorqued everything per my request and I think that action may have lessened the sound some, it may also be just messing with my head now but I know that sound is still there. I also visually looked at all four bushings (front and rear) and the right rear did not look any different from the other 3 sides. I did see what appeared to be a crack or a seam/line, but it was not jagged or protruding like a crack and all 4 bushing had the same appearance and seam/line. Maybe all 4 are bad but why only noise from one area?

Sorry to be so vague on this but this is pissing me off. I have an 2008 with 70K non-track GA miles and I have the shocks off a 2014 ISF and Swift springs. The 2014 components and Swift's were almost new when purchased and they have been installed about 7K miles ago and my brakes (new pads and rotors) have about 4K miles on them, but this sound has been with me only the past few months, maybe 2500 miles. Dealership/tech said if he had to guess, he would say it is a caliper issue because there is a soft click at times, but nothing like a popping sound when the front bushings go that I have heard audibly online.

Has anyone had a Swift go bad and know that sound? I am reaching here...

I am at a loss and will keep trying to record but any educated breadcrumbs would be appreciated.

Last edited by mr2dave; 07-28-15 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-28-15, 07:53 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

check the outer carrier bearing on the LCA. Its rubber booted and sometimes tears. You can attempt to grease it with a needle tip and see if it impacts the issue.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions