GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Clanging/ Jangling Sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-11, 08:43 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clanging/ Jangling Sound

I searched for Clanging and Jangling but couldn't really find anything. Whenever I hit even the smallest bump I get this metallic clanging noise coming from the front drivers side (sounds like it coming from around the wheel area). Do you guys think that it could be something loose inside the brake, or what? I am just looking for suggestions because last time I jacked the car up I played around with the suspensions and I couldn't replicate the noise.
Old 07-06-11, 09:24 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the bushings on your clangler jangler are worn.
Old 07-06-11, 09:27 PM
richie3888
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problem
Old 07-06-11, 09:39 PM
DreallDay
Driver School Candidate

Im having the same problem and i think that its my upper control arm, if you look there are some plastic bushings that get worn causing the arm to have some play, so when you hit a bump, etc it moves and metal to metal causes the noise to happen..... i too had took my calipers off and put them back on to see what the heck was going on then i found out it was the upper control arm.... if im right you can test it by jacking up the car and you'll be able to move it with your hand and duplicate a dumbed down version of the noise. hope it helps im not a mechanic or anything have just had a GS for a year or so and have been using this site to learn info and been doing alot of repairs myself... but i will def try there. hope this helps
Old 07-07-11, 07:42 AM
Sick03L
Driver

Same issue...same side. Weird. Ill have to check out the upper control arms next time Im in that area......lol
Old 07-07-11, 09:59 AM
headkiss
Driver School Candidate

i have the same problem too! took it to a shop for a suspension inspection and they told me everything looked ok. the tech drove the car and said he couldnt hear the sound, but as soon as i drive off guess whay? more clanging and jangling.....drives me nuts. glad its not just me. anyone checked and is positive its the control arms? so would i have to change them?
Old 07-07-11, 10:17 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

I don't think it's my UCA's I just had them replaced a few thousand miles ago and the noise existed before and after the replacement. I may jack my car up today and play around with everything again. I will also try to get a video of the sounds the car is making.
Old 07-07-11, 10:24 AM
richie3888
Pole Position

I heard it's the swaybar end links
Old 07-07-11, 10:31 AM
headkiss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusben
I don't think it's my UCA's I just had them replaced a few thousand miles ago and the noise existed before and after the replacement. I may jack my car up today and play around with everything again. I will also try to get a video of the sounds the car is making.
man that would be great if you do that, big help to the rest of us with the same issue
Old 07-07-11, 11:41 AM
xl715
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like sway bar end links to me, but also check ball joints (lower and upper), and tie rod inner and outer aswell. best way to check sway bar end links is raise vehicle and safely support, slide under vehicle and using a rubber mallet thump the sway bar end links and see if noise is same as heard over bumps. Also if you ever take your car to a shop for a noise like this, insist on riding with a tech so you can duplicate and point out the noise, if the shop won't do this find a different shop!! I always ride with customers for noises and it makes it alot easier for everyone involved!
Old 07-08-11, 06:29 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Hey sorry about the delay guys. I actually took a number of videos, however when I got home to replay them I found out that all you can hear is wind noise . I am almost certain at this point that the noise is coming from my brakes, though. Sometimes when I brake I hear a bit of a click so I think something is lose in that region which is causing the jangling sound over bumps.
Old 07-09-11, 04:51 AM
Lexusfam
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you change brakes recently? check the brake pad shims.
Old 07-09-11, 07:32 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

I haven't touched the front brakes which is where the sounds is coming from. I did change the rear brake pads and rotors in the fall so I my check those out.
Old 07-09-11, 07:49 AM
BIGCARL78
Rookie

I have the same problem I took my car to toyota to have an oil change and i told them about the noise coming from the front end so the tech took it for a test drive and said he didnt hear it
Old 07-09-11, 08:22 AM
cmara2k9
Pole Position

Bushings probably

Quick Reply: Clanging/ Jangling Sound