IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mild Steel Headers and Rust (PPE & Sikky) vs Stainless Steel

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-13, 01:37 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TOMW
It is 2k for SS from PPE coated inside and out, u dont want ti headers, its $$$$ and bad with heat and welds r not as strong (its harder to weld ti)

yes 2K for SS , ceramic coated in and out + warranty bumped (way) up from 1 year to lifetime
Old 03-31-13, 01:39 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by amgone75
icodes titanium headers...just over $10,000
Really $10K?!?!....I know I may be alone in this..but that seems a little silly to spend on headers

I mean come on...
Old 04-01-13, 06:55 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

^ I suspect you've never worked with Ti...

Inconel would be the only other material one might consider, but I wouldn't even think about it for an NA application. If we're making turbo manifolds, inconel would definitely be the material of choice for longevity and crack resistance.
Old 04-01-13, 07:11 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Lobux: I don't think he was doubting the fact that Ti parts are justifiably expensive, I think he was saying that it's a bit silly to spend $10K on a part for a $65K car. If that's not what he was saying, that's what I'm saying . To each his own of course, but I don't see the expense being worth $8K over what you could get stainless and coated PPE headers for. I would suspect they're going to produce similar power numbers, and if for some reason your SS PPEs failed, you could replace them several times over for the cost of one set of Ti headers.
Old 04-01-13, 08:22 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vbb
Lobux: I don't think he was doubting the fact that Ti parts are justifiably expensive, I think he was saying that it's a bit silly to spend $10K on a part for a $65K car. If that's not what he was saying, that's what I'm saying . To each his own of course, but I don't see the expense being worth $8K over what you could get stainless and coated PPE headers for. I would suspect they're going to produce similar power numbers, and if for some reason your SS PPEs failed, you could replace them several times over for the cost of one set of Ti headers.
Exactly what I am saying..
Old 07-04-13, 08:18 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Default Update

Hello my fellow CL members,

Just thought since I posted , I like to follow up to help all those who have yet to do this mod to their F's to help in the decision making process.

I received my Stainless Steel (ceramic coated in black w/ lifetime warranty) headers from PPE a few weeks ago. CL member Weapon F helped me MORE THAN he was at all obligated to do...TRUE FELLOW ENTHUSIAST and Really really cool guy!....I must say without his hook up and shop search, arrangement of the install date , meeting me to take me to the place, setting up all logistics for me, this would have been a much longer process.
Solely because of him it made the "finding a shop to get the thing installed" part ,a GREAT experience. and the hook up he got for me was immense!!! ....LEXUS DEALER INSTALLED by super Lexus master mechanic (certified to work on LFA) and got back before MAJOR holiday (July 4 today)- took in on MOnday got back Wednesday eve (yesterday).

WEAPON F - A million Thanks man!

OK- now as far as the install---Lexus Master Mechanic's words "This part fits perfect , like it was dealer made, no issues at all, lines right up- - this is the one to get"
My car just has Borla Axle back exhaust, Joe Z intake tube and now the PPE headers -Sound difference ? Most definitely. The car is a bit louder and deeper growl, Meaner! and not that "mental , yeah I think it sounds different because I had something done" kind of evaluation. It most certainly does sound different , on start up, cruise and little "blast offs". Its been raining hard for days in NYC so I have not had a chance to WOT for too long, except for little "blast offs" as mentioned.

My opinion so far, sound wise...makes the car sound meaner, deeper and just v8 growlin.
So far on power...I feel no difference on regular 5-50 or 60 MPH. I did a few take offs from "higher" MPH and I will say that is noticeable, and not a mental notice, it def has more power, it pulls harder and just opens up quicker and wants to just go. more than before.
When I get a drier road I will test that more but thus far I notice a real world difference up at higher speeds.
Even though none of us EVER street race !---yet if we did, I would say you probably arent going to be much quicker stop light to stop light, but if that contest continues where "the big dogs play" (over 100) you will have very REAL noticeable power at WOT than you did before..
She pulls forever...and wants to be over 80MPH when she does.

Hands down - THIS IS THE MOD TO GET if you want to feel the power and not just look at your dyno print out from other mods
NO its not cheap to buy or install but I say this - if you dont have the $$ - wait!...save....and good things will come.

With that said - PPE great business, TOP QUALITY Parts!
CL member WEAPON F - I owe u a lunch or a dinner man!...FOR REALS!
Lexus Dealership - many many thanks for taking on this project and treatin my car as if it were yours! Great service ---and the 2013 GS350 loaner was a very nice replacement for 2 days

(only reason I dont mention dealership is I dont know if that is cool with them yet, or if Weapon F wants to put it out there like that...so I'll leave that up to him)

PPE - Stainless Steel (or not) GET IT!

I may get dual cat back next...to maybe maximize the hp output....but I will dyno soon enough just to see where I am. with all the stock dyno already done...I didnt feel it necessary to individualize mine...just want to see where I land now in comparison to others with dual exhaust.

Last edited by NYC ES3; 07-04-13 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-04-13, 09:15 AM
ISFGEORGE
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im curious to know. Is there a way to verify that your headers are truly stainless steel and not a pair of mild steel ones thermal coated in black? Also can you pm me about the install price at the dealer in NY ? Thanks!
Old 07-05-13, 08:30 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFGEORGE
Im curious to know. Is there a way to verify that your headers are truly stainless steel and not a pair of mild steel ones thermal coated in black? Also can you pm me about the install price at the dealer in NY ? Thanks!
A magnet will verify stainless vs mild steel.
Old 07-05-13, 10:11 AM
IsFast3r
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couldn't agree more with NYC ES3 on his opinion of the headers, to date its probably the best mod that ive done with the car besides maybe the Joe Z exhaust (which is a close second). Quality of the part can be seen right away and although I haven't dyno'd I really feel the car wants to pull and pull on the highway. Wish I knew there was a NY local dealership willing to install this, had to head out to bulldog racing out in NJ back in june.

Hope to see the car soon! Always missing the NYC meets!
Old 07-06-13, 01:44 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Yes...it is definitely a mod you can feel the power in. Plus with all the dyno proof from CL members out there with PPE and Sikky hands down if you did it...you got significantly more power in the car no doubt about it..how much is the only question.

But those readings will depend on various forever changing circumstances especially weather (temp)
all in all if you got headers for your F you got more HP and TQ, mainly from simply deleting a set of cats, letting it all just flow better.

I will dyno soon just to see where I land in the mixture but I know I have more power thanks to endless Dyno's by all other CL members.

As far as the SS vs Mild Steel test...I didnt know that answer so thanks to the member above for stepping in with that. PPE seemed str8 up and they have a rep here that I dont think they would want to ruin just to make a $500 more. but good to know there is an actual test that can be done.

Either way, this is not a cheap or "easy" mod to do but hands down the best feelable one.
Intake and exhaust may give up some nice audio and some dyno numbers....but this one is real world feeling.
punch it down at 80 n she just wants to keep going and hits this stride at 100 that is more than what she did before. like I said...they will get u the same at the stop light but once it goes on pas 80 or 90MPH...U will reel them in like a damn fish on a line. its a high speed mod and opens up later on
Old 04-08-18, 07:19 PM
finny76
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Exclamation White Lightning Exhaust Coatings

Originally Posted by tgui
When I do headers I'll probably get them ceramic coated like my last set. They lasted many years withough issue.

http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/r...aust-coatings/

Has anyone done the White Lighting ceramic coating by SWAIN?

Would love to get some feedback, as that is what I am considering.....
Old 04-08-18, 07:27 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by finny76

My wife had that coating done by Swain on her old M3 and had no issues. No before / after as she had them done prior to install, but held up well.
Old 04-09-18, 08:34 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by finny76

Yes sir!

Check out the link/thread: Pic are on post #1 & install pics starting on post #24

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...yesterday.html

Never mind the attached HTML file........I was having a mental block lol...............just click on the above link to take you to the thread
Attached Files

Last edited by MileHIFcar; 04-09-18 at 08:37 PM.