Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Mouths that talk against OBX without their headers screwed on straight

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-17, 09:13 PM
GrantReid
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mouths that talk against OBX without their headers screwed on straight

I just spent 45 minutes trying to get information on this website regarding the OBX headers (for my SC400) and found nothing. PPE headers are around $1000.00, OBX around $350.00. I have no doubt the PPE headers are worth their price and are the best way to go if disregarding budget. What I wanted to find out is if the OBX headers gave what they should for their price as well.

I never found anything from anyone with knowledge, or personal experience regarding the OBX headers.

Saying "PPE will bend over backwards to make sure you get what you need." has zero, look again, 0 to do with OBX headers.

"OBX headers are crap." is not a statement of anything except that the person saying it doesn't have any headers on his/her car at all. If the person did, they would have bragged about how great their xyz headers were (attitude consistent with comment).

"OBX headers are made in china." so what, my last girlfriend was made in China, looked like a copy of all the others, had a couple of screws loose as well, but was worth the price.

So those of you who actually have some knowledge or experience with OBX headers, can you share them here, or instruct me as to where I can go to get facts so I can make a decision as to buying them or not. And let us keep in mind the OBX header is supposed to be worth only around $350.00. I just want it to act like a $350.00 header, not a $1000.00 header.

My figuring here is kind of like this, I can buy the OBX's two times if I need to and I will still be ahead of the cost of the more expensive version (I'm talking about headers here, not women).

Anyone?
Old 10-02-17, 08:06 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Number 1. I don't have OBX headers on my Lexus.

This story is my personal experience with the brand after switching from Pacesetter 1-3/4" to OBX 1-5/8".

I have OBX headers on my Trailblazer SS.
The material? It's fine. It's not rusting much. Looks pretty still in most parts higher up above the roadway. Flanges were thick and they sealed well. Flanges lined up correctly and were flat.

The issues?

Cyl 2 is bent abnormally close to Cyl 4 so it keeps baking off my expensive MSD wires and boots. Additionally, the passenger side clearance was not equal to the driver side so I needed to "massage" my firewall with a sledge to make the clearance I needed. Still, the header rubbed on the passenger frame rail whenever I towed with the truck or drove up a steeper hill. Had to switch to solid motor mounts to keep that problem at bay which isn't cheap on an LSx.

Was it truly $350? No. Double it when all said and done.I still almost annually replace my spark plug wires so they don't leave me with a misfire and the solid motor mounts do transmit a bit of vibration.

Would I do it again with OBX? Yes I would.

Last edited by INTIMAZY; 10-02-17 at 08:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GrantReid (10-02-17)
Old 10-02-17, 08:28 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

For completeness and comparison with the Pacesetter headers I had before, These are all issues I experienced OVER the aftermarket and OEM design. Its a ****ty copy header. The name brand 'Murican ones were a seamless install and much easier to live with daily. I don't regret the OBX but its gonna be much more expensive than you think to live with.
GrantReid (10-09-17)
Old 10-02-17, 11:18 PM
GrantReid
Rookie

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
I don't regret the OBX but its gonna be much more expensive than you think to live with.
Well said. I think that probably sums up the best way to look at it

My 2 biggest concerns are:
1. Fitment
and
2. deterioration of the product in a short time

It would look to be fitment is the issue I need to be most concerned with. I have seen comments of possible welds breaking but not read anywhere of it actually happening.
Old 10-03-17, 02:43 PM
davvv
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I did not install these headers but I did have them in my hands. Same quality as the usual Chinese turbo headers. Decent thick flanges. Seemed to line up pretty nice. These motors don't have the spark plugs next to the headers so don't have to worry about that. Make sure you get the one for sc400 and not the ones for tundra or ls430. The flange that bolts to the exhaust is diff position on those. I would prolly go with them if I got another v8. DO NOT use the gaskets that come with it use the OEM mls ones. The gaskets that blow out is the cheap ones that come with it not because of the flange. Just make sure the flanges are true before you install. It'll cost closer to 400-500 to have them on the car ready to go. It is a ***** to install though I'll tell you that. Goodluck let us know how they work out for you. My cousin had a obx turbo mani on his civic and it was taking 25psi of boost for 3 years till it got a small crack in the runner.
GrantReid (10-09-17)
Old 10-03-17, 03:19 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

OBX stuff works fine but don't expect the finish to stay show quality or anything, the obx "stainless steel" exhaust on my GX is already got surface rust that won't come off but it does sound good and performs well. I would run their headers cause you won't be looking at them much and the price is good. my knock off chineese turbo manifold held up for many years, cracked once from the abuse I put it through (did not have a flex section anywhere on my exhaust and kept bottoming it out), so I welded it back up and it kept going n going...

The real question is why aren't you installing a turbo manifold and turbo, headers won't do that much.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-03-17 at 03:23 PM.
GrantReid (10-09-17)
Old 10-04-17, 10:33 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Originally Posted by GrantReid
Well said. I think that probably sums up the best way to look at it

My 2 biggest concerns are:
1. Fitment
and
2. deterioration of the product in a short time

It would look to be fitment is the issue I need to be most concerned with. I have seen comments of possible welds breaking but not read anywhere of it actually happening.
Mine do not line up perfectly on the LSx motor but the Pacesetters didn't line up perfectly to the catback anyway. It was a minor issue and it did end up bolting on with a little fidgeting and a few other loosened sections.

Welds? They were fine. More than fine. They were good. The inside of the tubing showed clear discoloration consistent with well penetrated welds. I can't say anything bad about the welds and they held up fine with all the sledge hammer "massaging" I had to do to make them fit and clear.
GrantReid (10-09-17)
Old 10-09-17, 08:00 PM
GrantReid
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
The real question is why aren't you installing a turbo manifold and turbo, headers won't do that much.
Thanks!!! There goes another 2 nights of tossing and turning and not being able to sleep. I thought I had buried that idea and wouldn't have to deal with it again.

Lack of knowledge on the subject as a whole is the first reason. I have it in my head that the parts will be around $1500.00 but I don't have any solid information to back that up.

The secondary reason is lack of experience and knowledge on how to do it, which leaves me thinking I will get stuck and have to hire someone to come to my place to either fix, or do the job for me, leading to another $1000.00 in frustration and real money.

If you have any links to assist on either of these, feel free to let me know. I know there are quite a few here, but where to start?
Old 10-11-17, 11:44 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

actually I thought you had a sc300 for some reason and headers don't make sense on a 2jzge, but on a 400 1uz yeah headers make more sense.
a tune would probably also help gain some more ponies out of it later but not necessary.
If it were my sc400, I wouldn't hesitate to put the ebay headers on it, they should hold up fine.
As for fitment with the rest of the exhaust I have no experience with that, if it says it fits a sc400 then it probably does.
I think it will get rid of some cats though so you may want to get some high flow ones on the midpipe for emissions.