IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Chicago ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-12, 02:29 PM
Kramer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

Im from Chi-Town the windy city, but now am down in Alabama.....
Old 10-19-12, 05:23 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After the header install, I'll let you guys know in PM who did them. I really am dead set on Great Lakes Dragaway next weekend - just not sure if it's gonna be Fri, Sat, or Sun? I'll know better at the middle of next week depending on weather conditions.
Old 10-19-12, 11:34 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptAwsm
I would be interested in a meet/cruise. Drag strip would be fun too, but I can't take the whole day driving out to Rockford.

We can compare the my ISS DES to them all as well! PurduePete has headers only, to compare that, I am sure he'd be down.
DEFINITELY IN for an IS-F get-together!! I love how the Capt'n ISS sounds! I'm just too much of a chicken to live with the sound daily. How's the cup suspension doing Alex? God, I need to get it sooner or later.

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
After the header install, I'll let you guys know in PM who did them. I really am dead set on Great Lakes Dragaway next weekend - just not sure if it's gonna be Fri, Sat, or Sun? I'll know better at the middle of next week depending on weather conditions..
Why, how come? I hope it's because negotions are in progress that can affect pricing rather than.....

As for a place to install, I recommend Fizz Autosports and mechanic Chris. I've spoken to Chris already on installing a couple of sets for some friends. Currently he hasn't installed them yet, as he is waiting on them to buy the headers........

Even though Chris has not had any experience in the install, I can recommend him because I have seen his past work involving many different types of cars.....drool!! Sure it's a business, but I would summarize Chris's work as quality rather than quantity. He is the smartest and most chill mechanic I know.

Let me know if you guys want to pursue this avenue. My F hibernates during the winter and sometimes I keep it at Fizz, so it can be available for reference for your header install if needed.
Old 10-20-12, 08:19 AM
lilcop17
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends where, im on the Indiana/ IL border
Old 10-21-12, 07:24 AM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

The place I'm going to is a really nice garage - big dealership with some experience on high performance cars. Super clean in there, but I'm not saying where it is because of possible legal issues on behalf of them. Also, I don't know if they're good or not and I don't know their price yet. They sad MAX 1,000 bucks but they'll put the guys on the clock and charge me accurately. They will give me a loaner car for the day and do a final alignment also. If I get a good experience, I'll PM any of you guys in Chicago who might be interested.

I'm actually waiting for a cold sunny day next weekend - whether it be Fri/Sat/Sun. I'm trying to be the second all motor IS-F in the 11s. Today's DA is pretty good actually - pressure is 30.1 and it's cold so definitely good day for drag racing - but I don't have my headers on yet!

I just checked out Fizz's website - I might drop by and check out some wheels there!
Old 10-22-12, 07:36 AM
streetspee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EGI IS350
nice man. if you like the drag strip i'm heading to byron sunday if you want to go. the DA is going to suck but need to get some passes in before the end of the season.
sry i wouldnt make it sunday - running the spartan race (getting some runs in before winter )

hey guys, i was out at Drink in Schaumburg on saturday, and the valet guys parked a black ISF with firefighter memorial plates next to mine. is that any one of you?
Old 10-22-12, 08:08 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Just got the headers done! I asked the guy and he said it's okay to spread the word. I got it done at Arlington Toyota (NOT Lexus) on Route 12 in Palatine. Brand new dealership and oddly enough, the service guys are real car nuts and love doing mods. They have done a 911 Turbo, big Tundra, etc. It took them one day - I dropped it off this morning at 8:00 and picked it up at 5:30. They were real professional, had all the tools, etc. They even managed to save both my A/F sensors. Call their service director - Steve Hemmer. He'll hook you up - $995.

They soldered all the wiring also. They did note an error in the instructions so they actually traced the wires to the 2nd O2 sensors and correctly soldered the right ones - I guess the colors were off or something.

The ONLY problem... it was raining all day so I can't even remotely hit the gas because the drag radials hydroplane and slip like crazy when wet! LOL. I can't wait until tomorrow!!!

FWIW, the Borla catback was deep and droned a little in the 1-2K rpm under load. The drone is gone now because the PPE headers are so freaking loud inside the car! Outside of the car, it sounds a little more mechanical and not much louder but inside of the car, there is a LOT more noise IMO.

I can't comment on the power because, like I said, it's too slippery outside!

Last edited by ToothDoc; 10-22-12 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-22-12, 08:33 PM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

Good to know, thats right down the street from me! Its Palatine right?

They hosted a HUGE meet there last month, JDM, best meet I've been to in a while, huge. I'm liking this dealer more and more!. Can we get service done there and warranty work?

Last edited by CaptAwsm; 10-22-12 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-22-12, 09:36 PM
kteng7
Driver

maybe a quick video inside and outside of the car? I'm just afried I can't handle the noise if I do install exhaust and headers on my F.
Old 10-22-12, 10:04 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

There are a lot of videos, but none of the videos really prepared me for what it sounds like on the inside. Outside just sounds great - but maybe I just need to get used to it. Fortunately we have a Prius that is super quiet and a Superbee that is relatively stock so that's quiet too.

It's pretty loud with the PPE headers IMO. But give me a couple of weeks and ask me again. LOL

BTW, yes, it's Palatine - my bad. LOL
Old 10-23-12, 06:02 AM
kteng7
Driver

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
There are a lot of videos, but none of the videos really prepared me for what it sounds like on the inside. Outside just sounds great - but maybe I just need to get used to it. Fortunately we have a Prius that is super quiet and a Superbee that is relatively stock so that's quiet too.

It's pretty loud with the PPE headers IMO. But give me a couple of weeks and ask me again. LOL

BTW, yes, it's Palatine - my bad. LOL
Can't wait
Old 10-23-12, 06:16 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

^^^^I'm with him! So excited to hear this combo.
Old 10-23-12, 01:45 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats toothdoc. The sound is my greatest hesitation on combining the two. So in your case no cats now right? That's another hesitation for me, as it is just straight flow if there aren't any aftermarket cats, therefor very loud. But, I'm slowly dismissing the concern since its not my DD. I'll have to see how your opinion on the sound over time.

Looks like you're the first to have PPEs around here, congrats again. Knock on wood, you won't have any CELs like some other PPE owners. Remember to put some miles on it (break in period) too.
Old 10-23-12, 06:42 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

It's killing me - today is my first full day of PPE headers and I still can't floor it because the street is all wet. Grrr... Tomorrow I'll finally be able to floor it on my way to work!

If any of you guys wanna check it out, pm me. I'm in Lake Zurich/Hawthorn Woods area.

GLD seems like it's going to be really busy with a bunch of events on Friday and Saturday so looks like I'll be at GLD on Sunday - maybe around 2-5 p.m. Anybody in?
Old 10-25-12, 11:00 AM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

LOL, I just found out why the car was SOOO loud post headers. After the install, my set of headers might have been slightly off spec but the left side was actually in CONTACT with the tranny shield mount which is in direct contact with the frame. In essence, my exhaust was in direct contact with my cabin so I heard the car LOUD and CLEAR from inside. HAHAHA

We jacked it up and found the contact point and just ground off a little bit of the tranny shield mount. That part is not structural - just a piece of metal that has the attachment points for the plastic shielding.

NOW, the car just PURRS and is NOT louder than just exhaust only. So, stock to Borla catback was definitely louder but the headers don't make it louder.

Quick Reply: Chicago ?