IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Winter driving?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-12, 09:21 AM
jjdurrant
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter driving?

Is the IS-F doable with winter tires? Keep in mind I am talking MN winters.
Old 10-16-12, 09:32 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jjdurrant
Is the IS-F doable with winter tires? Keep in mind I am talking MN winters.
Of course it is, unless your ice road driving across the lake.

Just let the car warm up in the mornings, and you may want to invest in a block heater for those really cold days.

A good set of snow tires and rims just like any car you would drive in your state.

Digger08
Old 10-16-12, 09:37 AM
jjdurrant
Driver

Thanks.. I am also looking at the IS350 F Sports and CTS-V (2009+).. my budget is only high $30s though so the IS-F may be just out of my reach.
Old 10-16-12, 09:43 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

if ur looking for a high 30k car the 2008 isf would fit your budget...
Old 10-16-12, 09:50 AM
jjdurrant
Driver

Yeah we'll see.. I found a 2008 with 30k miles in CA for $28k.. but salvage title.
Old 10-16-12, 04:27 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jjdurrant
Yeah we'll see.. I found a 2008 with 30k miles in CA for $28k.. but salvage title.
By comparison, a 2008 F with 22k miles will run around $42k. F's with 60k miles are selling for $29-32k.
Old 10-16-12, 06:44 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I drove my F thru two MN winters. Not a good experience even with Blizzaks. I now have an SUV for MN winters which I think answers your question.
Old 10-16-12, 07:29 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

I've driven my IS-F in snow with Bridgestone Blizzaks LM-25's. They worked great and rarely had any issue. Going up steep hills was a problem but if you take it easy on slight inclines or flat roadways you should be ok. I've been caught in plenty of snow storms in the IS-F.
Old 10-16-12, 09:03 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ngl1145
I've driven my IS-F in snow with Bridgestone Blizzaks LM-25's. They worked great and rarely had any issue. Going up steep hills was a problem but if you take it easy on slight inclines or flat roadways you should be ok. I've been caught in plenty of snow storms in the IS-F.
The OP contextualizes his question by mentioning MN winters. He was not referring to MA winters. I donot subscribed to phrases like "you should be OK" when discussing MN winters as it could mean your life. I have had close calls that is why I bought an SUV. Please do not compare your snow storms with ours. Here is proof:

Large US cities where the temperature usually drops to 0 °F (-18 °C) or below each year City Days a Year
Minneapolis, Minnesota 23
Chicago, Illinois 7
Denver, Colorado 7
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 7
Detroit, Michigan 4
Indianapolis, Indiana 4
Rochester, New York 4
Buffalo, New York 3
Cleveland, Ohio 3
Hartford, Connecticut 3
Cincinnati, Ohio 2
Columbus, Ohio 2
Kansas City, Missouri 2
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 2
St. Louis, Missouri 2
Boston, Massachusetts 1
Louisville, Kentucky 1
Nashville, Tennessee 1
Providence, Rhode Island 1
Salt Lake City, Utah 1
Old 10-16-12, 09:10 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

You seemed to have made it fine despite you saying it wasn't the best with Blizzaks through 2 MN winters. Snow is snow, you just get more of it. If anything the height of the snow could affect your IS-F in the snow. Bridgestone makes pure snow tires that would grip better in snow than the version I used which was the LM-25's. I see the IS-F as a purely capable rear wheel drive car that can drive in snow with the proper equipment as long as you use your head to drive. Is it my first choice to drive in the snow. NO. But could you survive.. I believe you could.

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
The OP contextualizes his question by mentioning MN winters. He was not referring to MA winters. I donot subscribed to phrases like "you should be OK" when discussing MN winters as it could mean your life. I have had close calls that is why I bought an SUV. Please do not compare your snow storms with ours. Here is proof:

Large US cities where the temperature usually drops to 0 °F (-18 °C) or below each year City Days a Year
Chicago, Illinois 7
Denver, Colorado 7
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 7
Detroit, Michigan 4
Indianapolis, Indiana 4
Rochester, New York 4
Buffalo, New York 3
Cleveland, Ohio 3
Hartford, Connecticut 3
Cincinnati, Ohio 2
Columbus, Ohio 2
Kansas City, Missouri 2
St. Louis, Missouri 2
Boston, Massachusetts 1
Louisville, Kentucky 1
Nashville, Tennessee 1
Salt Lake City, Utah 1
Old 10-16-12, 09:27 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

"Is it my first choice to drive in the snow. NO. "
The OP is from MN where I am from and not MA which has 22 fewer days of 0 degrees. I am not only talking about snow but black ice and ice in general which those BLIZZAKS will NEVER handle. If you have lived and live thru a MN winter in a 416 HP beast, call me and I will respect your opinion. I provide advice based on safety and not by mentioning " he should be Ok" . The OP mentioned MN winters implying what all residents know and non residents DO NOT know anything about.
Old 10-16-12, 09:32 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

So there are no rear wheel drive cars that can handle MN snow/black ice? I don't know one car that handles well on black ice. In the end, I see it as the tires making the real difference. Front wheel drive and AWD can help push you through the snow, but I believe when it's black ice, it comes down to the tires and not so much the car. Knowing you have 416 hp doesn't mean you use it in the snow. I'm not saying that the sport Blizzak models would be acceptable... I know they make a higher grade winter tire that doesn't handle well (maybe squirmy) but perform better when it comes down to ice/snow.
Old 10-16-12, 09:38 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ngl1145
So there are no rear wheel drive cars that can handle MN snow/black ice? I don't know one car that handles well on black ice. In the end, I see it as the tires making the real difference. Front wheel drive and AWD can help push you through the snow, but I believe when it's black ice, it comes down to the tires and not so much the car. Knowing you have 416 hp doesn't mean you use it in the snow. I'm not saying that the sport Blizzak models would be acceptable... I know they make a higher grade winter tire that doesn't handle well (maybe squirmy) but perform better when it comes down to ice/snow.
I am providing advice based on safety and not " I'm not saying that the sport Blizzak models would be acceptable."

I rest my case..
Old 10-16-12, 09:41 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

The OP stated "Is the IS-F doable with winter tires? Keep in mind I am talking MN winters.". So your answer would be that the IS-F is not "doable" with winter tires period nor any rear wheel drive car or any car other than an SUV with snow tires.
Old 10-17-12, 08:21 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexura1414

Chicago, Illinois 7
Denver, Colorado 7
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 7
Detroit, Michigan 4
Indianapolis, Indiana 4
Rochester, New York 4
Buffalo, New York 3
Cleveland, Ohio 3
Hartford, Connecticut 3
Cincinnati, Ohio 2
Columbus, Ohio 2
Kansas City, Missouri 2
St. Louis, Missouri 2
Boston, Massachusetts 1
Louisville, Kentucky 1
Nashville, Tennessee 1
Salt Lake City, Utah 1
I live in Calgary Alberta which is directly on the beltline of the Rocky Mountains. We see alot of snow, and alot of cold weather (-40 is not irregular). I have driven my ISF for the past 2 years on a Blizzak LM-25 setup with absolutely zero issues. Don't expect your car to be a HIGH angle hill climber on hardpack snow or ice and you will be fine.

I would suggest the LM-60 over anything else on the market as they have greatly improved their snow and ice traction, as well as tread depth and number of sipes.

Personal opinion, square setup 18x8.5, with 225/40's or 235/40's Blizzak LM-60's and you will be impressed.

Quick Reply: Winter driving?