Transmission Problem: Funky shifting and harsh reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-12, 07:46 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Transmission Problem: Funky shifting and harsh reverse

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...lem-w-isf.html

^^^So I did a search, and this is about the closest mine comes to. My car shifts ok...just not smooth like it used to. Mine reverses, but its almost like the car doesn't deliver the power through the drive train...

I have a 2008 IS F, 87k miles...I drove it this weekend from Socal to Yosemite (360ish miles), and it drove perfectly. Ran it pretty hard through the twisties. It was fun and drove perfectly fine. Two days later, i drive again, and I run into some problems.....

When i put the car in reverse...it doesn't reverse unless I give it gas and when it does, its crazy rough. Almost like if the you're on a ton of gravel and you give it gas...the car just slips.

When you shift between P -> R -> N -> D, you can actually hear the shifts, it doesn't sound smooth anymore.

During a drive, it will go from 1st to 2nd pretty quickly...power delivery is not smooth at all. 5th gear holds for awhile until it goes to 6th, 7th, and 8th even though i'm doing over 45mph. If you push it hard in Drive Mode, it will go from 6th to 7th, but in-between the gears, it revs the engine before it actually goes into 7th gear.

I've resetted the ECU, but I'm not sure if this is a mechanical problem or an electronic problem???

I'm 40 miles from the closest Lexus dealership and lucky my car still drives...just doesn't operate very smoothly...But I'm also almost 500 miles from home. Tomorrow is labor day, and I got tons of work to do up here in the bay area before I go home at the end of the week
Old 09-02-12, 08:02 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the gear shifting solenoid might be busted. Trust me, you wont fix it by resetting anything.
Its service call time.
Any MIL codes?

~Dv8
Old 09-02-12, 08:23 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

What's MIL stand for? No codes though...no lights, nothing.

I wonder how much parts / labor is gonna cost?

I don't have my service manual with me and I shut off my server at home...bah
Old 09-02-12, 09:11 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I shift from P -> R it feels rough sometimes.
Old 09-02-12, 11:11 PM
crazee201
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this considered as wear and tear or can be cover under the warranty even on the extended one?
Old 09-03-12, 07:22 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even if you don't have any lights it could have stored a code. I'd prob get it scanned for free at an auto parts place just to see whats up.
If not ...dealer time
Old 09-03-12, 09:00 AM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

No joke I was going to pm you about making an offer for your car . I saw you posted 32000 in an other post best of luck .
Old 09-03-12, 10:00 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Miqueaseli
No joke I was going to pm you about making an offer for your car . I saw you posted 32000 in an other post best of luck .
Heh...it's just wear and tear (i hope). I started the car this morning, waited for the warm up like I usually do, and it actually drives fine. Reverse still is no bueno....so...looks like its' going to be the shift solenoid. Dropping it off at the dealership tomorrow in Sacramento and hopefully I get a loaner car so I can go finish off the rest of my work. Gonna have them replace my tranny fluid while its in there.

When you buy a high milage car, there are risks, but obviously, there's tons of savings. This is my first problem I've ever had with the car that I would consider major. First problem was the sunroof, 2nd was a blown subwoofer. Not bad for 87,000 miles.
Old 09-03-12, 10:38 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Heh...it's just wear and tear (i hope). I started the car this morning, waited for the warm up like I usually do, and it actually drives fine. Reverse still is no bueno....so...looks like its' going to be the shift solenoid. Dropping it off at the dealership tomorrow in Sacramento and hopefully I get a loaner car so I can go finish off the rest of my work. Gonna have them replace my tranny fluid while its in there.

When you buy a high milage car, there are risks, but obviously, there's tons of savings. This is my first problem I've ever had with the car that I would consider major. First problem was the sunroof, 2nd was a blown subwoofer. Not bad for 87,000 miles.
Your in the Bay Area for now right? Give Lexus of Pleasanton it will most probably be nearer than Sac...

LP is good at giving loaners I even got one for a oil change, just have to tell them ahead of time and if its a bigger service you'll get one regardless...
Old 09-03-12, 01:35 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

To me it sounds like you were too hard on the trans and the clutch pack material is all though your trans right now. Had this exact same issue way back on my aristo after taking it to the drags one... two... ok way too many times

Anyways, probably needs a flush filter, (maybe solenoid) and new clutch packs....

I'm about to take mine in for a flush even though lexus doesn't say it needs it because I'm going to head to a lapping session and drag strip soon...
Old 09-03-12, 07:48 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

^^I don't know...we'll find out tomorrow when I take it to the dealership. (O.O)
Old 09-04-12, 07:19 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

OK....the worst possible scenario has happened. Took the IS F to Lexus of Sacramento today and they said it needs a new tranny... 87,000 miles, I do not have an extended warranty), and it's $11000 for a new transmission and they don't know when they'll get one until they actually put the order in for one.

If I buy a rebuilt, they don't know when that's going to arrive either,...could be 30-60 days and they don't have one in the country.

I'm at a point where I don't even know what to do now...lol.
Old 09-04-12, 07:24 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Just F Me
OK....the worst possible scenario has happened. Took the IS F to Lexus of Sacramento today and they said it needs a new tranny... 87,000 miles, I do not have an extended warranty), and it's $11000 for a new transmission and they don't know when they'll get one until they actually put the order in for one.

If I buy a rebuilt, they don't know when that's going to arrive either,...could be 30-60 days and they don't have one in the country.

I'm at a point where I don't even know what to do now...lol.
This is Steven Creeks Lexus? First don't let it stay there get it to So. Cal where you live and get the primary dealer you go to to tell you what is wrong. Every mechanic has a different way to look in to a problem...

Last edited by MjThind; 09-04-12 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-04-12, 08:06 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would say, find a local transmission dealer.

100% they can rebuild the clutch packs (mister transmission or something), put a new filter in and have you on your way. I'm almost SURE nothing else is wrong.

It probably isn't working because you can't get enough line pressure to the reverse...
Old 09-04-12, 08:13 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

I mean with lexus amazing build quality and seeing that there are so many high mileage ISF it seems weird to be that you would have a complete trans failure and need a new trans. I feel for you man. I hope its something simple.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem: Funky shifting and harsh reverse