IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Transmission Problem: Funky shifting and harsh reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-12, 08:07 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best of luck man, sorry to hear this. You probably picked up a bad egg... I have never heard of an ISF issue to this extent. Like Dv8tion said, people have beat on their car way more with no issues. Hope you pick up something nice.

With that said, I am definitely going with a Platinum Extended Warranty in March 2013. My 4yr/50K factory warranty ends in April 2013.
Old 09-05-12, 11:21 AM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're doing it all wrong man. Not to kick you while you're down, but here is some truth, and help for you.

1) WTF did you buy a car you're not ready to replace parts?

2) WTF would you take that car to anywhere but an Authorized Lexus Dealer? You do not own an ES/GS/base IS.....those can be taken all day every day to a local mech. If I owned an ISF or LS.....dealer only kthx

3) Have you done all the recommended maintenance to it? Including anything tranny related?

Now, all that **** aside.

Here is what you do. Stop acting like a woman and go to your dealership you bought it from. Have them look at it see what wrong. Anyone who says "oh you need a new tranny" is a god dam liar and is full of ****. If you can drive it to the dealer, its not the tranny as a whole. Ask questions....get answers.....DETAILED answers. ALSO! when you talk to them and ask them what they can do for you (replace free or at least pay labor)......get the General Manager involved.....customer care rep.....someone......do NOT just talk to a service adviser or service writer or whatever.....

Then, get all the paperwork and service records, and what the dealer is telling you what it costs, and what is truly needed.

Then, call us Lexus of North America......complain about how the **** a 60 thousand god dam dollar car has a ****ing transmission go out at 80k miles? And why the **** it costs 12k to fix. If they cannot help, keep asking for a supervisor......keep going till you get someone who isnt paid min wage to answer phones. Ask them to talk to your dealer about the issues and what they can do about it. Tell them you'll never buy a Lexus product again if they are meant to break down at the 80k mark.

If that gets you no where, make a youtube video about it. Call your local BBB. Talk to a lemon law lawyer etc etc.....

You're being a submissive customer. Stop doing that ****, you paid a ****ton of money for this car, ACT LIKE IT. I am not a ****, I have bought/sold/traded 7 cars in the past 4 years......I do my research....I act like I am about to drop a **** load of money , and I want my **** right....not sub par, not "ok".....****ing right.
Old 09-05-12, 12:19 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^
Well that probably on the aggressive side.
You can fight it and push them to help you, or you can shop around to get the F fixed, then trade it in.

Borrow another car, rent one then do some leg work. Your car is worth at least 30k on the private party market.

A mechanic will tell you they can work on the trans before they get into it.

~Dv8
Old 09-05-12, 12:34 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It always sounds so easy when the problem isn't happening to you.
Old 09-05-12, 12:34 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

If you complain to Lexus enough they will kiss your ***. Trust me.

Very strange you would have this happen to you..the F comes with a trans cooler on the front of it to keep temps down. Usually the clutch packs wear more when they "slip" to make a "smooth" transition...if you are driving in F mode all the time (as I do too) you should be putting more life on the car....
Old 09-05-12, 03:31 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes sorry to hear this bro, kinda makes me scared too. Hopefully this is just an isolated incident and Lexus makes it right for you.
Old 09-05-12, 03:48 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Please post the service write up when you can. Push them for details as to why it has to be replaced and can't be repaired. If that doesn't work I would get a second option. Even if you can't get to your home dealer, I'd find one within reason and see what they say. Don't settle - they are taking the easy way out because they have you in a bad situation
Old 09-05-12, 04:38 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Just for ****s and giggles...take a look under the car, in the front of it...maybe one of the trans cooler lines got cut, or kept leaking fluid and eventually burned the trans up?

I had an issue just like you are explaining with my '06 GTO..I had inadvertently put the trans cooler in upside down, trapping air in the line and the car would "stutter" when it would shift..it would bark the wheels....5 min later I fixed the issue.
This really does sound like an "far out" issue.

A related trans to ours is in the LS460 which is a much heavier car and they dont seem to be having issues.

Stay persistent!
Old 09-05-12, 04:50 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Where is the Tommy who like to argue? and a big talker we know in this forum lolz, maybe there's something all this he is not telling us lolz. Call Lexus Corporate and ask them , maybe pay half and half on the repair If paid full amount i would keep the car
Old 09-05-12, 04:57 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSxblazer
You're doing it all wrong man. Not to kick you while you're down, but here is some truth, and help for you.

2) WTF would you take that car to anywhere but an Authorized Lexus Dealer? You do not own an ES/GS/base IS.....those can be taken all day every day to a local mech. If I owned an ISF or LS.....dealer only kthx

3) Have you done all the recommended maintenance to it? Including anything tranny related?

Now, all that **** aside.

Here is what you do. Stop acting like a woman and go to your dealership you bought it from. Have them look at it see what wrong. Anyone who says "oh you need a new tranny" is a god dam liar and is full of ****. If you can drive it to the dealer, its not the tranny as a whole. Ask questions....get answers.....DETAILED answers. ALSO! when you talk to them and ask them what they can do for you (replace free or at least pay labor)......get the General Manager involved.....customer care rep.....someone......do NOT just talk to a service adviser or service writer or whatever.....

Then, get all the paperwork and service records, and what the dealer is telling you what it costs, and what is truly needed.

Then, call us Lexus of North America......complain about how the **** a 60 thousand god dam dollar car has a ****ing transmission go out at 80k miles? And why the **** it costs 12k to fix. If they cannot help, keep asking for a supervisor......keep going till you get someone who isnt paid min wage to answer phones. Ask them to talk to your dealer about the issues and what they can do about it. Tell them you'll never buy a Lexus product again if they are meant to break down at the 80k mark.

If that gets you no where, make a youtube video about it. Call your local BBB. Talk to a lemon law lawyer etc etc.....

You're being a submissive customer. Stop doing that ****, you paid a ****ton of money for this car, ACT LIKE IT. I am not a ****, I have bought/sold/traded 7 cars in the past 4 years......I do my research....I act like I am about to drop a **** load of money , and I want my **** right....not sub par, not "ok".....****ing right.
Very good advice just a very aggressive way to say it.....
Old 09-05-12, 05:45 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

1st, lol at ssxblazer... dude got all indignant and it isn't even his car haha! He's like the friend you have that's always looking to throw down. Homeboy is ready to fight for you man!

2nd, just in case you were really thinking about it, I don't see any conceivable lemon law claim here or any other lawsuit for that matter. I know you didn't mention this but someone else did, so I just figured I'd throw that out there.

3rd, dude, do not make a rash decision because you're upset or "stranded." Do not accept some crappy trade in offer just to go run and buy a GS-Fsport or something else that you may not really want. You owe it to yourself to at least get it LOOKED at by another shop. You need to get a 2nd opinion with this. I can understand if this makes you want to get rid of the car, but don't make a bad financial decision on emotion. If you're determined to take less than $20K for the car, at least offer it up to someone here on the boards that may be willing to get it fixed and then sell it for a profit.

This is too big of a repair on a car that should not need this kind of repair. Lexus is very proud of its reliability ratings. They do not want to have people thinking that $12K transmissions go out at 80K miles, and I guarantee with a little diligence, at the very least you can get your car fixed by Lexus for cheaper.
Old 09-05-12, 06:18 PM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

Agree with vbb on not simply trading your car in just because the transmission problem is a real pain. It's probably even worse since you aren't home at the moment. Trust me I know how it feels to want to literally throw a car away (sell it for next to nothing) because its had some powertrain problems. If you talk to Lexus I'm confident they will at the very least help you with some of the costs of the repair. If you are the original owner they would probably be even more inclined to assist you...give it a shot before you sell/trade the car.

Originally Posted by vbb
1st, lol at ssxblazer... dude got all indignant and it isn't even his car haha! He's like the friend you have that's always looking to throw down. Homeboy is ready to fight for you man!

2nd, just in case you were really thinking about it, I don't see any conceivable lemon law claim here or any other lawsuit for that matter. I know you didn't mention this but someone else did, so I just figured I'd throw that out there.

3rd, dude, do not make a rash decision because you're upset or "stranded." Do not accept some crappy trade in offer just to go run and buy a GS-Fsport or something else that you may not really want. You owe it to yourself to at least get it LOOKED at by another shop. You need to get a 2nd opinion with this. I can understand if this makes you want to get rid of the car, but don't make a bad financial decision on emotion. If you're determined to take less than $20K for the car, at least offer it up to someone here on the boards that may be willing to get it fixed and then sell it for a profit.

This is too big of a repair on a car that should not need this kind of repair. Lexus is very proud of its reliability ratings. They do not want to have people thinking that $12K transmissions go out at 80K miles, and I guarantee with a little diligence, at the very least you can get your car fixed by Lexus for cheaper.
Old 09-05-12, 06:36 PM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Find a totalled ISF and pull out its tranny.
Old 09-05-12, 06:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,332 Posts

All internal parts are available from Lexus, so whatever is wrong can be fixed. There's no need to replace the whole gearbox. The reverse clutch shows up in the troubleshooting chart pretty frequently, so it could be as simple as fixing the reverse clutch.

Of course if you want to sell for $18k, I'll buy it - fix it - and turn it into a track beast.
Old 09-05-12, 08:18 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SSxblazer

LOL...I don't mean to kick you while you're down, but let me kick you while you're down?

You seem to be a pro at this...how much will you charge to get on the phone with them and handle this for me?

First of all....when did i say I wasn't ready to replace parts? I don't expect to replace a transmission for $11,000 for a brand new one.

2) When did i say I didn't take it to the dealer? I change the oil myself, i change the brakes, replace the coolant, and replace the air filter based on my driving conditions. Nothing major should need to be done within 100k miles

3) I don't have my owners manual with me, but I don't believe it says to do anything with the trans until 100k miles....I've pretty much done with the owners manual says to do.

Sure, you can ***** ***** ***** and complain and call this person and that person...etc.
I've called Lexus North America, and they said they can't do anything to help me. It's out of warranty. THIS IS WHY THEY SELL EXTENDED WARRANTIES. Maybe I can call again? Be on hold for another hour...oh wait, I have to work...

I mean...it's pretty much as simple as that. they can take care of their customers, but usually, those are the ones that do all their service at Lexus religiously...all minor, major, etc services. I haven't taken the car into service ever since i got my 5000 free oil change. After that, I just did it myself. Maybe that's my fault, maybe that's something I screwed up with. Could I have taken better care of it? Maybe? I don't know?

blitz_714...you may not know this, but I actually have a job that requires me to work. Go figure. Some days I work from home, which i can troll on CL all day and talk ish with you all day...and somedays I'm out in the field working.

Now if i look at KBB...Lets say my car is FAIR to GOOD condition BEFORE the tranny replacement. That means it's worth maybe around $27,000. But right now...lets ASSUME it might need a tranny that costs me $6000 that I have to wait 30-60 days for one to arrive to the US since the girl says "there are none in the US" (Yes, when i'm done with work, I'll go and chat with the dealership). So say minus $6000, and I got $21,000 for the car. I also have no mufflers/resonator on the car...so the dealership says we'll give you $18,000 for it....maybe that's all it's worth?

At this point...I think about my 1990 BMW e30 that I also own...something goes wrong...I can fix it...it's easy. Engine blown? You can buy new engine and trans for under $400.

Obviously, new car why am I comparing it to a 22 year old car?....much more tech...heck I checked out the GS F-sport and the thing has electronic parking brake...great...another electronic thing to possibly go bad.

My point is...I have to work, and my job actually requires me to be on the phone a lot...If i spend a ton of time on the phone calling back and forth, taking the car here to get checked...pay them, etc , it's time that I'm not on the phone making money. If I can get it fixed free...then great...but I think the chances are pretty low. I rather buy a new car, lose a few grand (and I'm not saying it like I have a ton of money!), but my time is worth more than the time I'm going to spend trying to solve this and having it sit in my garage or somehow keeping it up here in the bay area...I rather just have a new car, know it's solid, have a warranty and peace of mind, and maybe this time around I take it to the dealership for service religiously?

and 2nd GF is right...it's really easy to say this is what you would do, and this is what you would not do and i would do this, drag it out for months, get your moneys worth. So what do i do? do i leave my car up here? pay to transport it home? Pay to have someone take the tranny out of the car and go...yeah...the tranny is bust...then now what? The car drives still...it just doesn't reverse smoothly, and it doesn't shift ultra fast like it used to.

Not sure if I covered everything...I need to start writing my sales calls reports for the day...lol

Last edited by Just F Me; 09-05-12 at 08:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem: Funky shifting and harsh reverse