IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

COMPLETE ISF Intake Comparison Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-12, 12:09 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by RCB
I'm with DCoolBeans on this one. It sounds like this is you picking the loudest intake.
I had poor results with the Takada intake and it quickly heat soaked on me.
I specifically had the injen intake prior to the takeda. The injen was louder than the takeda.
I am not a victim of the more noise = more power fallacy, as I said I felt an increase of power with the takeda in the midrange to high.

*I put the takeda on right after the injen.
Old 04-30-12, 12:25 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

go to page 8 on the thread I just linked for you answers.
Old 04-30-12, 12:38 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

you can also go to the last page, showing more ambiguous numbers for the Injen.

All in all, for the ISF, regarding our short ram intake options, a good drop in filter with a joe-z tube is the best for optimal power, that is, working by itself.
Old 04-30-12, 01:28 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ill say it again, *** dyno is the most accurate Dyno...
Old 04-30-12, 02:01 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by streetx
ill say it again, *** dyno is the most accurate Dyno...
The *** dyno is the most inaccurate dyno...The numbers don't really mean anything but to show a gain...in this case there is no gain as both intake loss in comparison with the stock intake...I wouldn't say the Joe Z is the best, that is just personal opinion...However I would say that the Joe Z intake is on par with the stock intake...again just personal opinion as there are no test or facts for this to back this up...
Old 04-30-12, 02:32 PM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I got this snake oil that that you rub on your tires for performance.. anyone want to buy some?? Also makes your car louder at high speeds. Its $350, so you know its good.
Old 04-30-12, 04:39 PM
RichieISF
Rookie

Hey Guys..
How is this the COMPLETE comparison review when u aint tested a few intakes...??

When i had my JoeZ intake first thing i noticed was the slight increase in power..... but then i also did notice the heat soak it suffered...( awesome build quality however )
Then i got the Icode intake and after driving a few KMs you can still touch the intake tube.... and hold ur hand on it... no heat soak....(however its as pricey as hell.)

I do think the the Icode, toms filter,stock air box is the best intake....

Richieisf.

oh and plz send me 3 drums of snake oil.... heard on another forum it adds 50 whp if u add it to the gas tank also..
Old 04-30-12, 04:41 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RichieISF
Hey Guys..
How is this the COMPLETE comparison review when u aint tested a few intakes...??

When i had my JoeZ intake first thing i noticed was the slight increase in power..... but then i also did notice the heat soak it suffered...( awesome build quality however )
Then i got the Icode intake and after driving a few KMs you can still touch the intake tube.... and hold ur hand on it... no heat soak....(however its as pricey as hell.)

I do think the the Icode, toms filter,stock air box is the best intake....

Richieisf.
I agree with you on that and I think if u were to get an intake it has to be plastic so it doesn't get heat soaked just like the ICODE one but is pricey...
Old 04-30-12, 05:02 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Injen woks fine for me. If you properly prep/wrap a metal intake you wont have a problem.
Old 04-30-12, 05:58 PM
F4Fast
Pole Position

Injen for the win, and thats three guys with me that use this same intake. Does it make a difference, yes it does, a dyno is just that, a STATIONARY pull with a fan blowing air into the engine. With this said, adding headers and exhaust, or exhaust mod cat/mufflers delete will allow better air flow both in and out, which will make power, any time the car is moving. From personal experience, ive seen the takeda, and like my friend, he himself was not too impressed with the quality. I am very impresses and happy with the quality of my intake. My .02 cents
Old 04-30-12, 06:42 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

With any intake I don't think we're seeing the whp numbers that some have claimed. It's a few whp at best. The larger ISF restrictions from what I've concluded are mostly in the exhaust side (headers, cat-back = the stuff with cats). The intake isn't doing too much either way.

Everything I've read/seen/heard is that the Takeda is least likely to cause negative internet posts. Woot. And that's enough for me.

Butt dyno...I don't know how anyone can notice ~5whp when they're at ~340whp. It's basically down to sound at that point. In all of my Evo's I could always swear each mod was noticeably better but then on the dyno it wasn't. NOISE has a huge "impression factor". When I was running E85 I felt that the car was insane no matter what. :-|

Personally, I would pay $ to swap in a simple intake and get more sound. But I def wouldn't expect crazy numbers. That K&N dyno report of something ridiculous (I forget...30whp? or something) was absurd and it was done in the wrong gear (not 6th). So I don't trust that at all.

So if you're doing just an intake...it's 95% just for sound. If you do intake+catback then you may see better results.
Old 04-30-12, 06:47 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Injen woks fine for me. If you properly prep/wrap a metal intake you wont have a problem.
i knew someone was gonna bring that up...Slay wat do u wrap it up with? i might try it since i know a few that are doing it...
Old 04-30-12, 07:23 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a misleading title this thread has. Figs gave us facts, hard data... you should have searched before creating this thread.
Old 04-30-12, 07:34 PM
TokyoF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
there is no point to argue over this comparison as the test was already done by Figs. The best intake is stock period. If you don't believe me then take a look at his intake comparison thread...
Originally Posted by TokyoF
Didn't FIGS do a dyno test a year ago with various intakes and they all lost power over the stock airbox?
Old 04-30-12, 11:26 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation FYI for ALL...

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
I agree with you on that and I think if u were to get an intake it has to be plastic so it doesn't get heat soaked just like the ICODE one but is pricey...
The air flowing inside the short "JoeZ Intake" pipe is NEVER stagnant or there long enough to be heated up...

Think less than the blink of an eye..!!!

Food for thought..
IF you touch the Metal Throttle Body or Throttle Flap, you will be severely burned as well. Since its even hotter than the intake pipe... (especially after parking or coming to a stop)
This also includes ALL other metals in the HOT engine bay..!!

Basically while driving, your not going to get any heat soaking issues with the "JoeZ Intake" pipe.
It's very hard to touch while driving.. LoL

Yes, the exterior of the aluminum pipe will heat up, but NOT the air flowing SUPER FAST inside it..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 04-30-12 at 11:30 PM.

Quick Reply: COMPLETE ISF Intake Comparison Review