IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

COMPLETE ISF Intake Comparison Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 06:45 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by melbitoast
Would this have anything to do with living in Vermont? I have no idea about humidity levels there, but I'm assuming it's generally considerably cooler than here in Texas. Would having the car in cooler climates allow for an Injen-type intake to thrive over other intakes?
I wouldn't get a cone filter intake because they are prone to heat soaking, especially in Texas. It is terribly easy to switch from Injen to stock/Joe-Z. Maybe you can search for a DIY, but I switched from Injen to stock in 20 minutes.

also, there are more variables to consider than just temperature regarding power output of an engine. Vermont is a generally above sea level in most areas, meaning air density (% O2 per x volume) is low. I'm not going to go into any detailed explanation, but temp. does not *only* account for his power increase. darbs has a ported manifold, and with a heavy breather like the Injen, he probably picks up some power with the combination of those two mods.
darbs also has NAAAASS
Old 10-08-13, 08:34 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMV8
I wouldn't get a cone filter intake because they are prone to heat soaking, especially in Texas. It is terribly easy to switch from Injen to stock/Joe-Z. Maybe you can search for a DIY, but I switched from Injen to stock in 20 minutes.

also, there are more variables to consider than just temperature regarding power output of an engine. Vermont is a generally above sea level in most areas, meaning air density (% O2 per x volume) is low. I'm not going to go into any detailed explanation, but temp. does not *only* account for his power increase. darbs has a ported manifold, and with a heavy breather like the Injen, he probably picks up some power with the combination of those two mods.
darbs also has NAAAASS
Doing the swap from stock to Joe-Z takes less than 5 minutes. My predicament is, the ISF being delievered today already has the Injen intake and giant cone. I need to find a stock air box. Is it tough to DIY for a rookie to install a stock airbox?
Old 10-08-13, 08:56 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My predicament is, the ISF being delievered today already has the Injen intake and giant cone. I need to find a stock air box. Is it tough to DIY for a rookie to install a stock airbox?
Nope, it's simple. You'll just need to look at some pics to see where the little hoses go. If you look at the Injen instructions (http://a.cdnbrm.com/images/info/injen/SP2096.pdf) you can read a little about where it all goes. Then just look at stock engine bays to see how it all looks when done.

But it's super easy.

And I love my Injen. I tried the K&N Typhoon and JoeZ but Injen has been my favorite. If it's on your car already, give it a try for a bit.
Old 10-08-13, 11:10 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by anxiouz
Nope, it's simple. You'll just need to look at some pics to see where the little hoses go. If you look at the Injen instructions (http://a.cdnbrm.com/images/info/injen/SP2096.pdf) you can read a little about where it all goes. Then just look at stock engine bays to see how it all looks when done.

But it's super easy.

And I love my Injen. I tried the K&N Typhoon and JoeZ but Injen has been my favorite. If it's on your car already, give it a try for a bit.
Thanks!
Old 10-08-13, 04:52 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Thanks!
Not all of these will be helpful but I have some random engine bay pics on photobucket from my phone for personal reference. They may or may not be helpful but give you some idea of what's involved:

http://s958.photobucket.com/user/src...?sort=3&page=1

It's just random stuff from me swapping out the Stock/Injen setups so that I know where some of the pieces go. These were enough for me to swap the Stock box + JoeZ to the Injen in like 5 minutes. Piece of cake once you know the few finer points.
Old 10-14-13, 01:13 AM
hanscj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
^^^^I doubt you would see any difference on a dyno. I have had both, but prefer the Takeda for esthetic and personal reasons.

Lou
I just had the takeda installed today. noticeable gains in power, pulls alot lighter and a very noticeable change in sound; it really brings out that v8 sound!
Old 10-14-13, 01:16 AM
hanscj
Driver School Candidate

cone filter would give a more noticeable power gain. cones allow for air to get sucked in from all directions, whereas utilizing the stock air box relies on air coming from the duct running from the front.
Old 10-14-13, 08:34 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Originally Posted by hanscj
cone filter would give a more noticeable power gain. cones allow for air to get sucked in from all directions, whereas utilizing the stock air box relies on air coming from the duct running from the front.
If you can feel a minimal power gain in a 400+ hp car, you have super sense perception (highly unlikely).
The cone sucks in hot engine bay air, and over time heat soaks. My engine oil temp. even hit give bars with a cone intake during some spirited driving.
Figs and another forum member did dyno tests for ISF intakes: stock/joe-z was best.
Sound =/= speed.
Old 10-14-13, 09:44 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

I had previous tried the K&N Typhoon but the car just didn't feel right with it so I got rid of it. It's easily the loudest intake for this car by a long shot though.

Now I occasionally swap between the Injen and JoeZ intakes just to see if I can tell much of a difference. Besides more sound in the lower-rpm range...not really. The Injen does pull harder in the top-end though, but not by much. It sounds glorious though.

Heat soak is definitely an issue with the non-stock-box intakes. But I don't think it's as terrible as people make it out to be. A few weekends ago I had the JoeZ in and after commuting home and leaving my hood up for 10 minutes afterwards, the pipe was still too hot for me to touch with bare hands. So even if the filter is protected in a warm plastic box, I don't think it's immune to heat by any means.

A cone filter would absorb way more engine bay heat for sure, but as air starts to move through it I think it'll cool faster than the stock box. My 2 cents.
Old 10-21-13, 01:59 AM
hanscj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDMV8
If you can feel a minimal power gain in a 400+ hp car, you have super sense perception (highly unlikely).
The cone sucks in hot engine bay air, and over time heat soaks. My engine oil temp. even hit give bars with a cone intake during some spirited driving.
Figs and another forum member did dyno tests for ISF intakes: stock/joe-z was best.
Sound =/= speed.
havent had any heatsoaking issues to date, been driving in sub 60 degree weather recently. havent felt how it'll do on a super hot day though.
Old 10-21-13, 03:33 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Originally Posted by hanscj
havent had any heatsoaking issues to date, been driving in sub 60 degree weather recently. havent felt how it'll do on a super hot day though.
Heat soak accounts for the range of +/-20 hp (my estimation). You won't necessarily "feel" it since the car is naturally aspirated. I pushed the car when I had cone intakes and my oil temps were the highest they have ever been.
The ISF is not a Subaru where a cold air intake modification results in a power increase.
Lexus engineers knew what they were up to....
The cone intakes do add to the fun factor though, but subtract from the "optimal performance" of the car.
Old 01-21-14, 07:59 PM
mlfisf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 4everkidd
There is a thread floating around with the comparison. But yes the injen made more power than the takeda.

I run the injen, love the sound, and love the look. That's enough for me.
I had the good fortune of owning an IS-F when Injen was looking to build an intake for the car. My car was used as a test mule for the project, I saw the dyno numbers--a little over 20 extra hp. Love the look, love the sound, love the extra power. The downside? It did feel a little fluffier in the bottom. But at the track, that doesn't matter, and on the street, there's still more than enough. Totally happy with my Injen.
Old 06-18-15, 10:58 AM
Twotwo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the post
Old 01-08-16, 09:57 AM
bentobob
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate this advice. I'm glad that staying with the stock intake box was not a terrible Idea. I dropped in an aFe oiled filter. Not sure if I want to change the tube atm.
Old 01-08-16, 02:35 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bentobob
I appreciate this advice. I'm glad that staying with the stock intake box was not a terrible Idea. I dropped in an aFe oiled filter. Not sure if I want to change the tube atm.
Obviously it's your call, but the OEM intake piping isn't the best design for smooth flow rates.

You've got some choices nowadays too.

Joe Z, HPS, RR-Racing (including the rather lovely titanium version! ).

The intake pipe can be improved is all i'm saying.

I'd recommend it having had experience with quite a few setups on my car.

Quick Reply: COMPLETE ISF Intake Comparison Review