IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Pulled over for "loud pipes"

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-11, 02:09 AM
iJameson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled over for "loud pipes"

Hahahahaha So I just had the funniest encounter I have ever had with a police officer. I was pulled over by the Vanderbilt University Police here in Nashville, TN for no reason at all. When he comes to my window, the exchange between myself and the officer was along the following lines-

myself-Evening officer, may I asked why I've been pulled over?
cop-Well, I'm pulling you over because you've got some loud pipes. I need license, registration, and insurance.
myself-I was not speeding or anything, so I'm just being ticketed for loud exhaust sound? Is there a certain decibel threshold? (I'm fully aware there is, but I was going slow and nowhere near it)

He then goes back to his cruiser and comes back all to tell me that if he can hear the car within 50 yards, the exhaust is too loud. He then proceeds to tell me that he "can't really ticket you. Just letting you know it's quite loud."

My friend in the passenger's seat is laughing right in front of this situation and the cop eventually cuts off conversation and says I am free to go. My guess is that he realized how ridiculous this traffic stop really was.

By the way, I'm running Sikky headers, ISS Forged exhaust, and K&N intake, so I understand it's quite loud. I'm not an idiot.

Just figured I would share my laugh for the night.
Old 08-20-11, 04:36 AM
slowIST
Driver

Originally Posted by iJameson
Hahahahaha So I just had the funniest encounter I have ever had with a police officer. I was pulled over by the Vanderbilt University Police here in Nashville, TN for no reason at all. When he comes to my window, the exchange between myself and the officer was along the following lines-

cop-Well, I'm pulling you over because you've got some loud pipes. I need license, registration, and insurance.
myself-I was not speeding or anything, so I'm just being ticketed for loud exhaust sound? Is there a certain decibel threshold? (I'm fully aware there is, but I was going slow and nowhere near it)

He then goes back to his cruiser and comes back all to tell me that if he can hear the car within 50 yards, the exhaust is too loud. He then proceeds to tell me that he "can't really ticket you. Just letting you know it's quite loud."

My friend in the passenger's seat is laughing right in front of this situation and the cop eventually cuts off conversation and says I am free to go. My guess is that he realized how ridiculous this traffic stop really was.

By the way, I'm running Sikky headers, ISS Forged exhaust, and K&N intake, so I understand it's quite loud. I'm not an idiot.

Just figured I would share my laugh for the night.
Really? I wish I'd be able to "laugh in front of the situation" with your mods and CHP.
Old 08-20-11, 05:30 AM
chow70
Rookie

Unfortunately stupid pull overs like this lead to many cops running into the wrong people at the wrong time.
Old 08-20-11, 07:38 AM
Steve727
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chow70
Unfortunately stupid pull overs like this lead to many cops running into the wrong people at the wrong time.
^^ I concur, some cops just have nothing better to do.

Maybe he just wanted to get a better look at the modded F and needed any reason to pull u over just to get a glimpse. Lol
Old 08-20-11, 07:48 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Are you sure about that last part?
The ISS is quite loud to begin with, *** a set of Sikky's to that and the thing is DAMN LOUD. I will tell you from experience that laughing in an officers face is a damn good way to not only get yourself a citation, but also get on a "NOT so cool to be on ***** list"! Now thats just plain stupid IMHO. And to answer your first question YES you could have been cited for an "equipment violation" and if this "idiot officer" with nothing better too do really wanted to be a jerk he could have had the vehicle towed for the above said violation AMHIK.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-21-11 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-20-11, 08:03 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Last cop who made me look like a fool for nothing ended up getting himself and his station sued for personal harassment... I did not win, but he got suspended for two weeks and *****list or not no one likes to get served or worse yet their employer sued for their idiocy, Im sure his captain and him had words.
Old 08-20-11, 08:20 AM
Matthieu
Driver School Candidate

My sc300 has full 3in cat back with a Megan muffler and I am routinely pulled over by my University Police department. Now my car has a hot pink roll cage, racing seats and is covered with drifting stickers so I used to get worried but then one officer told me the only reason I keep getting pulled is they want a closer look at the "gutted lexus with the hot pink cage." Since I rarely have anything important to do I actually love it now: I get pulled over and get to show my car off to the police! Its all about being nice. (:
Old 08-20-11, 09:10 AM
Linkseal
Driver

Great setup!!

Lucky you are in US, if here BC, Canada, If cars ever get pulled over and impounded when cops test the muffler is louder than 96db (according to law)...if not then VI ticket (vehicle inspection) for sure.
Old 08-20-11, 10:06 AM
riboflavin
Driver

Originally Posted by slowIST
Really? I wish I'd be able to "laugh in front of the situation" with your mods and CHP.
+1

OP is lucky to live outside of California.
Old 08-20-11, 10:15 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

u need to post a video of the setup!
Old 08-20-11, 10:26 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OP, you need to record the dB of the car idling when warm and when casually accelerating and then look up the dB limit for your state.
Old 08-20-11, 10:27 AM
MarkBMC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Linkseal
Great setup!!

Lucky you are in US, if here BC, Canada, If cars ever get pulled over and impounded when cops test the muffler is louder than 96db (according to law)...if not then VI ticket (vehicle inspection) for sure.
Interesting. How is that measured? From a certain distance? Do they specify a particular temperature? humidity? baromatric pressure? We have found all of those things (including the surrounding environment, i.e., buildings, concrete, etc.) affect db readings. 96 db is pretty loud, but I suspect a Harley wouldn't pass if measured up close under throttle.
Old 08-20-11, 10:35 AM
MarkBMC
Driver School Candidate

I was pulled over last winter driving across Maryland on I68. I wasn't speeding (although it's a well known speed trap through that area). He questioned the level of tint on my windows. I told him I had a shop do it in KY and to my knowledge they were legal. He indicated they weren't in Maryland and then went back to the cruiser. When he returned he handed me my stuff back, told me to be safe, said "you aren't what we are looking for today", and told me to have a nice day.

I surmised they were looking for someone running drugs perhaps. It was apparent he was looking for something in particular and not the tint of my windows.

None of you have been using your SC to run contraband across I68 have you?
Old 08-20-11, 10:38 AM
Linkseal
Driver

^^ Believe or not, they do have a sound level meter in car ready anytime here (Vancouver/Richmond is more strict on this)...

Of cause Any stage 2 Subaru or Harley fails on this anytime, it's up to the cop to hand out ticket or not anyway...
Old 08-20-11, 12:36 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

So were your driving on the University Campus or were you off Campus??

Is the Vanderbilt University Police even considered a normal Police Agency??

If they are not a full blown agency, that might be the reason you were let go with out a citation for emissions or modified exhaust

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 08-20-11 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Pulled over for "loud pipes"