IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Project Mu Pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-11, 04:56 PM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
How much did the Project Mu's set you back??

I am shopping around for pads right now and I found the Carbotechs Bobcat Fronts for $157 and the Rears for $140 ($297 Total)

Joe Z
Hey Joe, where did you find that price for the Bobcat's? Cheapest I found was $198 including shipping for the fronts.
Old 02-02-11, 12:05 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Bulls23337
Hey Joe, where did you find that price for the Bobcat's? Cheapest I found was $198 including shipping for the fronts.
That was very old pricing...

I gave the Bobcats a chance this past Oct/Nov.. Stopping seemed ok and so was the dust..

My problem was the fronts were too small and puck placement was inconsistent. While the rear were too big...

These pads were made to order for me, so it was their newest stock.

I gave them a chance to correct the issue, but they could not deliver an OEM like fitment. So they were returned.

I now have the Project Mu's listed in this thread.
The fitment is exactly to OEM Spec and puck sizes are perfect.

Still reviewing them..

But they do have a cut out on the front pads for e-sensors, which are not used on the IS-F.
They are used on a MB model.

Joe Z
Old 02-02-11, 03:07 PM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

I gave the Bobcats a chance this past Oct/Nov.. Stopping seemed ok and so was the dust..

My problem was the fronts were too small and puck placement was inconsistent. While the rear were too big...

I gave them a chance to correct the issue, but they could not deliver an OEM like fitment. So they were returned.

Still reviewing them..

But they do have a cut out on the front pads for e-sensors, which are not used on the IS-F.

Joe Z
Thanks for the info Joe. Sorry to hear the Bobcats didn't work out for you. But glad to hear the Project Mu's are. Those are now at top of my short-list. How's dusting and bite/performance characteristics compared to OEM?

Also considering the Hawk HPS (not sure of fitment and no rear pads available) and EBC Yellow Stuff (not sure of fitment, though they have both front and rear pads). Or I may stick with stock since it's the same price or cheaper than aftermarket offerings and my OEM rears are still good.
Old 02-04-11, 07:13 AM
X20A
Rookie

Still reviewing them..

Joe Z
Hey Joe,

Did you buy both the front and rears for the Project Mu pads? Would just having the fronts and not changing the rears negatively affect the brake bias?

By replacing both fronts and rears, that would remove brake bias from the equation completely right?
Old 02-04-11, 11:40 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by X20A
Hey Joe,

Did you buy both the front and rears for the Project Mu pads? Would just having the fronts and not changing the rears negatively affect the brake bias?

By replacing both fronts and rears, that would remove brake bias from the equation completely right?
Bias is handled electronically, so it's not a big a deal as it was in the days of fixed proportioning valves. It's not good to make the ABS work overtime to provide proper bias, but it certainly isn't the very large issue it used to be.
Old 02-07-11, 06:43 AM
X20A
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Bias is handled electronically, so it's not a big a deal as it was in the days of fixed proportioning valves. It's not good to make the ABS work overtime to provide proper bias, but it certainly isn't the very large issue it used to be.
Oh I see, thanks for the response, I will be buying both fronts and rears, so that hopefully shouldn't be a problem for me then.
Old 02-15-11, 03:43 PM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

Hey Joe, any update on your Project Mu's?
Old 02-15-11, 11:00 PM
smartbomb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We just tested them on a G35 @ MotoIQ.

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...u-and-dba.aspx

Its not an IS-F but they are Brembos. These are not super high performance pads, they are high performance street pads, a little better than typical stock pads. They are quiet and low dusting on this car.
Old 02-18-11, 08:14 AM
X20A
Rookie

If anyone could help answer a couple more questions it would be great...

Are most people running the Project Mu pads on stock rotors? I think lobux was running an aftermarket rotor, right?
So installing these pads would just be a matter or swapping them in, bedding them in, and I'm good to go on the stock rotors, or would I need to turn the rotors?

I think I'll order my pads within the next day or so. Just haven't had time.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-18-11, 10:26 AM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

If anyone could help answer a couple more questions it would be great...

Are most people running the Project Mu pads on stock rotors? I think lobux was running an aftermarket rotor, right?
So installing these pads would just be a matter or swapping them in, bedding them in, and I'm good to go on the stock rotors, or would I need to turn the rotors?

I think I'll order my pads within the next day or so. Just haven't had time.

Thanks in advance!
I installed my pads with used OEM rotors. In the 10K plus I've had them on the car they've been flawless. I've recommended them to a few on here directly and as far as I know they are happy with them.

I don't think the OEM rotors are meant to be machined so you'll either have to replace them with OEM,Raybestos or Stoptech replacements if the ones on the car aren't in good condition. They are plug and play and most importantly provide OEM bite with minimal dusting and they fit like OEM pads.
Old 02-23-11, 05:27 AM
X20A
Rookie

Awesome, good to know they are holding up excellently. Going to call'em up today and order these, thanks!
Old 03-01-11, 08:49 AM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Placed my order today with MVP Motorsports. Looks like they're on backorder though . I can't wait until I get them and not have to wash my wheels every week. Thanks to N54MPower for the recommendation and review!
Old 03-01-11, 09:13 AM
Chops@MVP
Lexus Test Driver

You actually are going to get the last full set. As it sits only rears are available after your order.

Regards,
Robert
Old 03-01-11, 09:18 AM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Awesome, good to know they are holding up excellently. Going to call'em up today and order these, thanks!
No problem. I'm really happy with these pads in every way and I'm glad to see more people buying them.

Originally Posted by mugenh22a4
Placed my order today with MVP Motorsports. Looks like they're on backorder though . I can't wait until I get them and not have to wash my wheels every week. Thanks to N54MPower for the recommendation and review!
You'll be amazed at the difference. Let me know what you think after you've had them on for a few weeks.

Originally Posted by Chops@MVP
You actually are going to get the last full set. As it sits only rears are available after your order.

Regards,
Robert
If you placed your order with Robert you are in good hands.
Old 03-01-11, 09:20 AM
X20A
Rookie

Originally Posted by Chops@MVP

Regards,
Robert
LOL, looks like I get the shaft haha. How long do you expect til you have stock again? Stupid me and procrastination haha.

Can someone provide me with the part #s for the P.Mu NS pads? Maybe I can source them locally and get them in faster.

Last edited by X20A; 03-01-11 at 09:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Project Mu Pads