IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Official IS-F Drag Time/Dyno Time/Performance Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-09, 03:51 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8speed
Isn't there a law of diminishing returns with higher octane? I mean a stock IS-F is tuned for a certain octane range from what, 91-93? So why would bumping it up to let's say 95 increase performance? Wouldn't 93 be optimal?
Isnt there something in the owners manual about this? If i wasnt so lazy i would go downstairs and look
Old 04-27-09, 03:53 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Isnt there something in the owners manual about this? If i wasnt so lazy i would go downstairs and look

it says a minimum of 91 octane
Old 04-27-09, 04:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

It does say minimum 91, but I have personal experience with CA 91. It behaves like 89, not 91. Adding some race gas will likely make a difference, but only some. There is no "diminishing return." If the fuel has adequate octane for the engine and load, more octane will not improve things (I've actually seen very high octane fuel dyno worse because the energy in it was less than a lower octane fuel). All octane tells you is how much compression and how much load the fuel will tolerate before it auto-ignites and causes either pre-ignition (not desperately bad) or detonation (death to the engine in seconds - AMHIK.)

Octane is load dependent, so in theory you could run regular in the IS-F and it would tolerate it as long as you don't put a big load on the engine. Of course the likelihood an F owner ISN'T going to step on the gas hard is pretty small, so we need at least 91 octane to ensure the engine management isn't working overtime to try and minimize the bad effects of pinging or detonation.

Again, if its California 91, I'd add about 20% 100 octane to ensure there is enough detonation resistance to prevent the ECM from backing off the ignition timing and losing power. This is readily apparent at the track where you're at WOT for the whole quarter mile.
Old 04-27-09, 05:23 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It does say minimum 91, but I have personal experience with CA 91. It behaves like 89, not 91. Adding some race gas will likely make a difference, but only some. There is no "diminishing return." If the fuel has adequate octane for the engine and load, more octane will not improve things (I've actually seen very high octane fuel dyno worse because the energy in it was less than a lower octane fuel).

Isn't that the definition of diminishing returns Going up in octane as you stated past the level of peak performance can actually diminish performance hence the law of diminishing returns!

The tendency for a continuing application of effort or skill toward a particular project or goal to decline in effectiveness after a certain level of result has been achieved.

Last edited by 8speed; 04-27-09 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-27-09, 05:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by 8speed
Isn't that the definition of diminishing returns Going up in octane as you stated past the level of peak performance can actually diminish performance hence the law of diminishing returns!

The tendency for a continuing application of effort or skill toward a particular project or goal to decline in effectiveness after a certain level of result has been achieved.

Ummm. No. Different concepts and different problems. The thing you are describing would have a bell curve shape. Octane does not. It plateaus and stays there. Just because power drops with certain very high octane fuels does not mean there is a problem with detonation resistance. The sole reason for measuring octane is detonation resistance and engine output is unrelated - IOW, higher octane will not detonate if octane is too high. You'll just waste a lot of money on exotic fuel that doesn't provide any more detonation resistance than a lower octane fuel.

Producing power is completely independent of octane, and not all very high octane fuels will reduce output, only certain blends in specific applications.
Old 05-04-09, 08:34 PM
Sungkyo
Driver

I'm in the Viper club here in Kansas City and they do a free dyno day every year for paid members. Took the Viper and the ISF since I plan on ordering the Joe Z intake and exhaust. (Want to hear the exhaust in person before ordering). Any way during the day there were about 20 Vipers so I was definately the runt but did get 3 pulls in. All stock with half tank of 91 and half tank of 93.

Thats my Blue and white on the left
Old 05-05-09, 03:55 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Results look good! Seems like a fun event
Old 05-05-09, 08:32 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Default wow

As flava fav would say, wwwwoooowwwwwwwwwww
Old 05-10-09, 08:39 AM
houstonT
Lead Lap

The STD correction factor is an inflated correction factor. How much rwhp did your car make SAE with smoothing set to 5? I think the adopted norm (especially here on CL) is SAE and smoothing to 5.
Peter
Old 05-10-09, 04:08 PM
Sungkyo
Driver

Yeah thats what Joe Z mentioned on a different board. This week I'll see if they saved the run and can reprint it using SAE, cause i'm curious how it did with other stock ISF's. All the cars were dyno'd using the same factors all day, as the Viper Club gives out trophies for the biggest number and also the Viper runt of the day I found my Dyno sheet from the same place 3 years ago and then they used CF: SAE and Smoothing 3. Back then I did 447rwhp and 491rwt. This year using CF: STD the same car did 463rwhp and 503rwt so that explains the difference. (bout 3.5%)
Here's a video a guy made of the dyno day. Video doesnt show the winning supercharged GTS, putting down 1050rwhp and 1050rwt.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/K...Day_680314.htm
Old 05-12-09, 06:27 PM
Sungkyo
Driver

Had shop reprint Dyno with CF: SAE,........STILL HAPPY!

Old 05-12-09, 07:33 PM
houstonT
Lead Lap

Very nice...any idea how the car picked up 10 rwhp and 11 rwtq?

Peter
Old 05-12-09, 08:15 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by houstonT
Very nice...any idea how the car picked up 10 rwhp and 11 rwtq?

Peter
Hey Peter,

If I had to take a guess based on what I see; I would say between run 2 & 3 there was an approx 11 minute cool down period...
I would also guess the car was turned off for most of that time period.

The 352 rwhp run, would seem to be the most accurate...

Sungkyo -> Thanks for getting your Dyno runs re-graphed

Joe Z
Old 05-12-09, 09:57 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Got My Intake in today. Product looks great.

Name:  IMG_0877.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  85.6 KB
Old 05-12-09, 10:49 PM
ISF-88
Pole Position

Baseline stock Dynorun 356rwhp and 332ft lbs tq on Dyno Dynamics and corrected too Now I really wanna see what I can hit on a DynoJet? Do I have a factory freak?

Going to dyno again soon on this same dyno since I have my intake and exhaust already. Just breaking it in before dynoing again.

Last edited by ISF-88; 05-12-09 at 10:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Official IS-F Drag Time/Dyno Time/Performance Thread