IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS F Paddle Shifters not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-23, 09:03 PM
JDub0830
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy IS F Paddle Shifters not working

Hello, Just purchased a 2008 IS F so new here. All is pretty good with the car but the paddle shifters are not working. Yes, I know I have to have the car in manual mode by moving the shifter to the left. When in manual mode it behaves as it should, holding the gear until changed with the shifter. Is there a way the paddles are turned off? Don't believe it is a fuse issue as all other steering wheel controls work including cruise.

Any ideas will be appreciated as I have looked in the manual and also searched on this forum but can't find anything.

Thank you
Old 03-27-23, 10:26 AM
mferg02
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to point out, you should be able to use the paddle shifters even when in normal Drive mode, you dont have to move the shifter into manual mode to be able to use those.
Old 03-27-23, 02:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,853 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Does the gear shifter work properly in manual mode when you move it back and forth? If it does, then you would seem to have a problem with the clock spring behind the steering wheel. Electrically, there is no difference between the shifter and the paddles. If both do not work, there is a problem with the TCM or with connectivity to the TCM.
Old 03-27-23, 07:52 PM
JDub0830
4th Gear

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Does the gear shifter work properly in manual mode when you move it back and forth? If it does, then you would seem to have a problem with the clock spring behind the steering wheel. Electrically, there is no difference between the shifter and the paddles. If both do not work, there is a problem with the TCM or with connectivity to the TCM.
Yes, the gear shifter works just fine just the paddles don't . Thank you so it is take apart the steering wheel to look for loose connection and the clock spring.
I just wondered if there was a dealer option to make the paddle shifters not active.
Old 03-27-23, 08:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by JDub0830
Yes, the gear shifter works just fine just the paddles don't . Thank you so it is take apart the steering wheel to look for loose connection and the clock spring.
I just wondered if there was a dealer option to make the paddle shifters not active.
No, that doesn't exist. You need to do some continuity testing on the clock spring, and if it's in good shape, there is a problem somewhere else in the wiring, but unlikely it's the TCU. The wires from the paddles and the shifter merge before getting to the TCU. As I think about it, it sounds like the ground connection for the paddles is suspect. Wiring diagram below - it is the black wire - easy check; remove the airbag and test the black wire for continuity to ground. If it isn't grounded, the paddles won't work.

The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
inovashn (03-28-23), JDub0830 (04-01-23)
Old 03-27-23, 08:39 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

The previous owner may have had an aftermarket steering wheel on the car and he yanked it off before he sold it and put the stock wheel back on and didn't connect the paddles correctly when re-installed the stock steering wheel is another possibility🤔
The following 3 users liked this post by MileHIFcar:
JDub0830 (04-01-23), KPCresta (03-27-23), lobuxracer (03-27-23)
Old 03-27-23, 09:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
The previous owner may have had an aftermarket steering wheel on the car and he yanked it off before he sold it and put the stock wheel back on and didn't connect the paddles correctly when re-installed the stock steering wheel is another possibility🤔
Very true. I'm assuming the parts are all there and connected. The other day I got a little stuck on a slippery surface and went to turn on snow mode and it didn't work because I'd had that panel off previously but forgot to reconnect the VSC off and SNOW mode switches (I moved Sport to the steering wheel a long time ago), so I was really in a jam until I figured it out.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
JDub0830 (04-01-23), MileHIFcar (03-28-23)
Old 04-01-23, 10:31 AM
JDub0830
4th Gear

Thank you for the wiring diagram and thank you all for the ideas

Early Saturday morning project found that someone else had been in the steering wheel and working on the paddle shifters. Toyota does not use electrical tape when they manufacture cars so I knew for sure someone was there before me.
Using my Multi meter and checking continuity to make sure the actual switches work I found they did NOT. So I pulled apart the switches and found a lot of grease in the connections inside the switch. I clean them out, reassembled and the paddle shifters works as it should. My hobby of radio controlled cars came in handy as I have small pin connectors to slide into the factory connectors to make sure everything is working. Pictures below so all can see what I found. The las picture is checking continuity all the way to the clock spring connector on the wheel side to make sure all is good.

Now I have a weird situation. After reconnecting the battery and going for a drive I lost the auto window up down and from the drivers door I can't raise and lower the other windows. Also, seat memory doesn't work. I was looking at the fuse block to make sure that was ok before starting so I must have done some thing.....

Old 04-01-23, 12:06 PM
DK3Fiddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 33 Likes on 7 Posts

The window issue is also an easy fix.

1. On each door, roll the window down halfway, and then roll it back up.

2. Hold the switch when the window gets to the top for about 5 seconds. After you release the switch that should reset the auto function, and you should have control of all 4 windows from the driver’s door.

Hope this works for you! 🙏🏿

The following 2 users liked this post by DK3Fiddy:
JDub0830 (04-01-23), lobuxracer (04-02-23)
Old 04-01-23, 03:55 PM
JDub0830
4th Gear

Yes, that fixed it....
I have a 2013 Prius C 2, so not many options like auto windows and 99hp so the older IS F, is an upgrade in many ways
All is good and working as it should, paddle shifter, windows, seat memory (I was holding the buttons to long).

A great forum so thank you all.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDub0830:
DK3Fiddy (04-01-23), lobuxracer (04-02-23)
Old 04-02-23, 12:53 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by JDub0830
Yes, that fixed it....
I have a 2013 Prius C 2, so not many options like auto windows and 99hp so the older IS F, is an upgrade in many ways
All is good and working as it should, paddle shifter, windows, seat memory (I was holding the buttons to long).

A great forum so thank you all.
Super weird this affected both switches. Yes, indeed, Lexus does not use electrical tape anywhere under the steering wheel airbag. They only use it on the corrugated tubing used to bundle and protect wiring.
Old 04-05-23, 09:00 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

If you need a new clockspring I have one.