IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

Winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-17, 01:04 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Winter storage

Did a search, didn't see anything in this section pertaining to the IS-C.

Bought our '13 IS250C this summer, not driving it in the winter with RWD and those Michelin Pilots. Wife will drive the old Highlander instead. I've read all the sites I care to about generic vehicle storage, wondering if there is anything specific to the IS. This will be going into a local storage unit, so out of the weather. Will probably get a cover for it, wondering if anybody has any suggestions for one that fits well, too many to choose from on Amazon. There's no power in the unit so I was planning to remove the battery and take it home to go on a maintainer.

Windows down a little? Anything else I should think about? Thanks.
Old 11-08-17, 05:27 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Only thing I can warn you of is what I read. If you leave the battery off for an extended time, some settings that normally would not be lost during a short loss of battery will be reset. Apparently the control units in our cars have a super cap to maintain some nonvolatile settings. You may well run into all sorts of things like the windows needing calibration, steering calibration and of course it'll drive quite different for a while after you get it back on the road until it learns your driving style again.
Old 11-08-17, 05:29 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

...and by the way, unless you have something specifically related to the convertible version of our cars, I suggest you post in the regular forum. The C-subforum gets so little attention. Your current topic would relate to all IS250's and probably IS350's as they share a lot of the same electronics.
Old 11-08-17, 09:58 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jr4div2
...and by the way, unless you have something specifically related to the convertible version of our cars, I suggest you post in the regular forum. The C-subforum gets so little attention. Your current topic would relate to all IS250's and probably IS350's as they share a lot of the same electronics.
OK, will do, I wasn't sure if there was anything different WRT the convertible, but I guess not. Thanks.
Old 11-14-17, 06:00 PM
Patek14
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jr4div2
Only thing I can warn you of is what I read. If you leave the battery off for an extended time, some settings that normally would not be lost during a short loss of battery will be reset. Apparently the control units in our cars have a super cap to maintain some nonvolatile settings. You may well run into all sorts of things like the windows needing calibration, steering calibration and of course it'll drive quite different for a while after you get it back on the road until it learns your driving style again.
I drove mine most all of last winter. This winter i'll drive it about once a week for 10-15 miles on days when the roads are clear. I am very much against storing a car for that long.
Old 11-17-17, 03:06 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

I generally agree that storage is not good for a car. But driving it in the winter on salty roads is worse. The other issue for us is we only have a 2-car garage, and I don't want my wife to have her winter car parked outside, she has a bad leg and I don't want to risk her falling and making it worse. It also gets in the way when clearing snow.

Car is in storage now, light cover on it, lots of dryer sheets around inside, moth ***** on the floor. Spare battery on a long cord keeping the various brains alive, I'll swap the batteries probably once a month or so.
Old 04-14-18, 06:47 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Thought I'd update this thread, just as an FYI...

As posted above, I made an extension to the battery cables, so I could leave the battery outside the car, sitting on the floor of the storage unit, and put a cover on the car. I kept the "spare" battery in the garage at home on a trickle charge, on a timer so it would run for about an hour a day. I swapped the batteries about every 6 weeks or so. I also pulled out the air cleaner element, lots of dryer sheets under the hood and inside, and over-inflated the tires to about 45 psi. Today I went over and pulled the cover off, put the regular battery back under the hood (freshly topped off), re-installed the air cleaner, then the car fired right up, no issues. I think the only memory setting that got lost was the seat positions.

Took the car on a nice drive this afternoon, so good to have it back.
Old 04-14-18, 06:56 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Nice to see you from Ih8mud

we have 11 cars and 7 motorcycles
7 of the cars usually stored and driven once every 6 months

trickle charger and stabil is alll is do

never had any issues last 10 years
Old 04-14-18, 07:03 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Yeah, I don't get over here nearly as often as 'MUD.

No power in the storage unit, so I had to get creative to keep the battery in good shape through the bitter cold.

Back to modding the 200...
Old 04-14-18, 07:07 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KLF
Yeah, I don't get over here nearly as often as 'MUD.

No power in the storage unit, so I had to get creative to keep the battery in good shape through the bitter cold.

Back to modding the 200...
am glad you got the new 200 to replace the other one

did your truck sell ?
Old 04-14-18, 07:11 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

The 2011 I traded? No, it looks like it's still listed on the dealer site. Price has dropped a little:

https://www.bmwofgreenwich.com/detai...-17479271.html

I see they peeled off the iH8MUD sticker I had on the rear quarter window. I sent the salesman a big envelope of all the maintenance records, I hope the new owner gets it.

This '15 is sooo nice, geez I'm glad I upgraded. I just got the title in the mail today, still waiting on registration stickers.
Old 04-14-18, 07:46 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

I thought you had old Toyota truck for sale as well

like an early 80s
Old 04-15-18, 08:57 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

Oh, yes. My '87 pickup that's in my avatar. Sold to a MUDDER last Fall, he had it shipped to Colorado, where it is enjoying semi-retirement. I miss that truck dearly, owned if for 15 years, wrenched every single bolt. But I'm enjoying driving and modifying the 200 more.

I can't believe how many vehicles I've been through in the last 12 months. Now I have an '03 Camry I'm trying to sell, and I'm gonna try to convince the wife that it's time to upgrade the Highlander this summer.