IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Sold my IS350! Went Green!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 08:14 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Yeah I don't think the 3 will have reliability problems. Any problems you've read about are on the model S which has been out for like 18 years. The 3 is a next gen design, everything is different. The facelift S is under development and will use the 3 internals/wiring etc from what I read.

But yeah I'd like a 3 one day.

What are you doing for home charging? Did you buy one of those chargers from amazon that will charge you in 8 hours vs. like 18? or something like that.
I got the Tesla charger for $500 and the install will cost about $1k. It will charge about 40 miles every hour.
Old 06-18-19, 08:15 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
Congrats! I have driven two different 3's - a long-range RWD and a Dual Motor AWD. Both were a lot of fun to drive, but I couldn't get used to the regen braking. Lots of whiplash.

I really dig the combo of the red and the optional wheels.
Actually the wheels are standard on the Performance model due to the bigger Brembo brakes.
Old 06-18-19, 09:47 AM
ABGLexus
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I have friends that have had one for awhile and Powertrain reliability has been rock solid. The cosmetic reliability is where they needed servicing (trim, rattles, paint issues, etc...). If you live in Cali, EV life is easy due to the number of chargers.
Yeah soCal has a lot of chargers. I actually live like 5 mins away from one and it's always so crowded.
Old 06-18-19, 10:53 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Actually the wheels are standard on the Performance model due to the bigger Brembo brakes.
Oh. Welp, I should have noticed you got the performance! I've never driven one of those. If it's like the Dual Motor, but faster, it's gotta be a beast. I found the Dual Motor to be massively faster than my IS 300. The only other car I've driven that was faster was a Model X P100D, which obviously is a whole other machine.
Old 06-18-19, 11:10 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
Oh. Welp, I should have noticed you got the performance! I've never driven one of those. If it's like the Dual Motor, but faster, it's gotta be a beast. I found the Dual Motor to be massively faster than my IS 300. The only other car I've driven that was faster was a Model X P100D, which obviously is a whole other machine.
I think the P100D on X is slightly faster but 0-60 in 3.2 is good enough for me.
Old 06-22-19, 08:00 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I've had a chance to live with the car for a week now and here are some observations after having the IS350 for over 4 years.
  • My IS350 had 0 rattles at 60k. None...not a single one. The model 3 has rattles but they come and go and are in different places. The silent nature of EVs don't help as speeds under 25mph are very quiet amplifying any rattling noises
  • IS350 felt light and nimble comparatively...I think people don't appreciate how well the IS handles and how playful the chassis is
  • The 3 has much higher capability on corners though...the chassis is very balanced and has a mid/rear engine feel as its heavier in the back. It doesn't feel nimble because you do feel the weight but the AWD is extremely sophisticated and never loses traction (I haven't been able to squeal the tires once)...with the instant power on hand, just point and shoot and the car grips and goes
  • IS350 was a fun and quick vehicle...not outright fast from a stop but can hold its own on the highway
  • The 3 is brutally quick...I've just runaway from a light, on-ramp, etc from everything. The instant acceleration from anything under 100mph is nuts. If you mash at 40mph, you'll hit 70 in a sec or 2.
  • The accessibility of speed on the 3 performance is the strong point. The car is really meant to be in sports mode the entire time. The steering ratio is extremely quick so if your steering is light on chill or standard, it can feel too darty if you don't have heavier steering feel from sports mode. Anyone can get the 0-60 in 3.2 as the only thing you have to do is mash the throttle from a stop. You will consistently get that time as there is no launching the vehicle or any pedal dance or anything of that nonsense. Its always accessible by mashing the throttle
  • The acceleration runs seem not to stress the drivetrain in the 3....no noise just mash and it goes without drama. I always felt like I was abusing the IS350 whenever I hit redline as the engine noise was dominating the cabin. The only impact of driving the 3 seems to be a quicker depletion of battery...given that, you feel no guilt in quickly accelerating away at every opportunity. Frankly, even half throttle runs away from all cars.
  • Tesla is far ahead of Lexus in all areas tech... for example, using the various cameras, they have enabled Dashcam and Sentry mode which is a security system that records anyone that nears the car. The car's autopilot mode is pretty slick...seems to work as advertised and does self drive very well. The entire car feels something futuristic...very different from anything else
Would I recommend the Tesla? if you are auto enthusiast and knowledgeable, then yes. If you need everything perfect without fuss, then it may not be the right car for you. So far, I think I made the right decision
The following 3 users liked this post by EZZ:
arentz07 (06-24-19), LexSense (06-22-19), signdetres (06-22-19)