Automatic change to recirculate when turning on AC

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-19, 07:33 PM
logix1229
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Automatic change to recirculate when turning on AC

Hello all!

I'm a brand new member to this forum and i just purchased a used 2014 lexus IS. I love the car and all but i just have one question regarding the AC and recirculate/fresh air function.

I tend to have my fan on all the time, whether the AC is on or not just to have air flowing through the car. I noticed that if i have only the fan on, when i turn on the AC, the system automatically changes over to recirculate. This is the opposite of what I usually do, I usually like to start AC with fresh air coming in, and then after about 10 minutes or so, i'll change it to recirculate.

Is this a default setting that i have to live with or can this function be changed (perhaps at the dealer?) I would prefer that the car remain in "fresh air" mode when i turn on the AC, not to automatically switch over to recirculate.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-23-19, 07:40 PM
Lexyaaaas
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it does that automatically because thats the fastest way to cool the air inside of the car.
The following users liked this post:
TOPENDMS (04-24-19)
Old 04-23-19, 07:41 PM
logix1229
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexyaaaas
I think it does that automatically because thats the fastest way to cool the air inside of the car.
Gotcha. OK. it's not a big deal, it's just my habit from over the years...thanks!
Old 04-23-19, 08:40 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexyaaaas
That's pretty much it in a nutshell.
The A/C cools the cabin by removing moisture, so if it was on Fresh Air, it would be a never ending battle to remove the moisture from inside the cabin.
The downside is if you're driving a long time with the A/C on, the air will start to get stale...them you'll want to hit the Fresh Air.
Old 04-23-19, 09:25 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,511 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
The A/C cools the cabin by removing moisture, so if it was on Fresh Air, it would be a never ending battle to remove the moisture from inside the cabin.
The downside is if you're driving a long time with the A/C on, the air will start to get stale...them you'll want to hit the Fresh Air.
If I just have the climate set to Auto, and it's warm out, sometimes the Fresh Air mode will still be active. �� I have seen it switch to recirculate before... I think. It always seems to function, so I don't question it. �� Just wanted to point out that it's not as simple as "If A/C, then recirculate", to your point.
Old 04-23-19, 09:57 PM
logix1229
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Got it. Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by arentz07
If I just have the climate set to Auto, and it's warm out, sometimes the Fresh Air mode will still be active. �� I have seen it switch to recirculate before... I think. It always seems to function, so I don't question it. �� Just wanted to point out that it's not as simple as "If A/C, then recirculate", to your point.
I'm not sure but in my case, it's always the case. Everytime i hit the AC on button, it changes to recirculate...haha. anyways it's all good.
Old 04-26-19, 12:04 AM
wforty94
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

leave it on auto and theres no need to hit the ac button. it will recirculate and not by itself as the system sees fit.