IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2018 Lexus IS 350 fsport wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-19, 06:25 AM
Adoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2018 Lexus IS 350 fsport wind noise

Hi. I know Lexus has some excessive wind noise issues on certain models. I also have excessive passenger side wind noise in my IS. A buffeting sound, as if a flag is blowing in the wind outside the window. Anyone experiencing the same? Thanks in advance

Last edited by Adoc; 04-23-19 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Typo
The following users liked this post:
BrendaT (02-17-20)
Old 04-22-19, 08:32 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Every manufacturer and pretty much every car gets complaints about wind noise. Late model cars, by law, require larger side mirrors than before. And the mirrors before already were noisy. I believe it started it 09 or '10. There's pretty much nothing no manufacturer can do about it. you have a big slab of material hanging off the side of the car. It's like its own car sticking out. At that point it comes down to how sensitive you are to noise, whether or not you're playing the radio, or have other things on your mind. Also with cars getting quieter in other ways, it makes it easier to notice.

Just make sure there's nothing excessive sticking out or no obvious damage around the mirror/seal/door area.

this goes for any car
Old 04-27-20, 11:49 AM
gsnuge
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Flapping noise at 55 mph and higher

Originally Posted by Adoc
Hi. I know Lexus has some excessive wind noise issues on certain models. I also have excessive passenger side wind noise in my IS. A buffeting sound, as if a flag is blowing in the wind outside the window. Anyone experiencing the same? Thanks in advance
I have similar noise when driving 55 mph or more. I think I described it in a previous post last year as a flapping noice, not a rattle. Dealer could hear it as well. I left car for them to check the problem out. They said they found it, but when I went to drive again, it is still there. Need to go back and have them try and diagnose some more. Let's stay in touch to see if a solution is found. Thanks.
Old 04-27-20, 11:51 AM
gsnuge
Rookie

gsnuge
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flapping noise at 55 mph and higherQuote:
Originally Posted by Adoc View Post
I have similar noise when driving 55 mph or more. I think I described it in a previous post last year as a flapping noice, not a rattle. Dealer could hear it as well. I left car for them to check the problem out. They said they found it, but when I went to drive again, it is still there. Need to go back and have them try and diagnose some more. Let's stay in touch to see if a solution is found. Thanks.
Old 06-05-21, 07:46 PM
cricedlr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gsnuge
gsnuge
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flapping noise at 55 mph and higherQuote:
Originally Posted by Adoc View Post

Was this issue fixed for you? I have a 2019 Lexus IS 300 and I am having the same issue with the passenger side flapping noise above certain speed or when wind hits it. My Dealer has heard it as well but haven’t been able to fix it, can you let me know if it’s been fixed?
Old 06-05-21, 11:23 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by cricedlr
Was this issue fixed for you? I have a 2019 Lexus IS 300 and I am having the same issue with the passenger side flapping noise above certain speed or when wind hits it. My Dealer has heard it as well but haven’t been able to fix it, can you let me know if it’s been fixed?
Check to see if all the plastic under panels are secure, and plastic body/bumper parts.
Seen lots of cars on the highway with stuff flapping underneath, and even rear bumpers flapping.
Old 06-06-21, 05:01 AM
gsnuge
Rookie

Default Flapping noise

Originally Posted by cricedlr
No, not as noticable most of the time. Went out with mechanic last time and it could not be heard. Need to be headed into a medium strong wind at 50 -70. Am just ignoring it at this point.
Old 06-06-21, 04:12 PM
cricedlr
Driver School Candidate

No, not as noticable most of the time. Went out with mechanic last time and it could not be heard. Need to be headed into a medium strong wind at 50 -70. Am just ignoring it at this point.
I have taken an 2 hour road test with my technician who I work with and we have found out that the noise is coming from the panel above the passenger side footrest area, gonna put it on the hoist at work Monday and see if there’s anything looking out of the ordinary underneath. Hopefully it is not coming from inside the dash as that would cause more problems trying to fix.
Old 06-07-21, 07:00 AM
gsnuge
Rookie

Thanks for the info. I will be alert to this possibility with a passenger.
Old 06-07-21, 03:51 PM
cricedlr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. I will be alert to this possibility with a passenger.
Just put it up on the hoist and seems like it is coming from inside the dash board which I will not go further into anymore. Going to just put felt around the surrounding area and hope it insulates most of the flapping noise.