New 2019 Lexus IS - Front Bumper Repaint

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-19, 09:36 AM
nabeel24
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2019 Lexus IS - Front Bumper Repaint

Hi Everyone!

Ended up purchasing a 2019 Lexus IS300 last Saturday and noticed this very small ding/scratch on the front bumper.

Took it to Lexus today and they said they can either do touch up paint or repaint the entire bumper with the repaint being recommended so it will look brand new/original with no sign or any scratch and I can apply PPF after.

Just wanted to see if anyone had their brand new car repainted or if there’s any reason not to repaint and just have them do the touch up paint. Mind you, this most likely happened during transport from factory I’m guessing so they’re covering the painting obviously!

Apologies for the bad pictures, only ones I had.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Color is Ultra White!

Last edited by nabeel24; 03-15-19 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-15-19, 09:54 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Maybe things have changed and someone can chime in to correct me.

I am under the impression paint is never truly the same exact color twice. Technically, speaking...the bumper will not be 100% match to what it is now.
Could be something you never notice...or at the right light and angle perhaps you would (and only you because none else looks that hard ).

That being said, I'd go for the respray just cause I could lol. Small chance that same chip resurfaces next year, or they dont entirely make it disappear and so you can still see it there under PPE. I'd take their reccomendation but with understanding of repercussions (good and bad).
Old 03-15-19, 09:55 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Btw congrats on the car!
Old 03-15-19, 09:59 AM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Is that the Non-F-Sport color (Eminent White Pearl)? If so, I believe the front and rear bumpers are a slightly off-color than the body at least for my car and others I have seen. Just an FYI incase you start to notice that after the repaint.
Old 03-15-19, 10:04 AM
nabeel24
Rookie

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Maybe things have changed and someone can chime in to correct me.

I am under the impression paint is never truly the same exact color twice. Technically, speaking...the bumper will not be 100% match to what it is now.
Could be something you never notice...or at the right light and angle perhaps you would (and only you because none else looks that hard ).

That being said, I'd go for the respray just cause I could lol. Small chance that same chip resurfaces next year, or they dont entirely make it disappear and so you can still see it there under PPE. I'd take their reccomendation but with understanding of repercussions (good and bad).
Thanks! Yeah, same thought here unless someone says otherwise. Hopefully the paint is as close of a match since it's being done at the dealership. Appreciate the help!
Old 03-15-19, 10:05 AM
nabeel24
Rookie

Originally Posted by pngo
Is that the Non-F-Sport color (Eminent White Pearl)? If so, I believe the front and rear bumpers are a slightly off-color than the body at least for my car and others I have seen. Just an FYI incase you start to notice that after the repaint.
This is actually the Ultra White color since it's the F-Sport. Should've listed that.
Old 03-15-19, 10:55 AM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by nabeel24
This is actually the Ultra White color since it's the F-Sport. Should've listed that.
Awesome... wish I had gotten the F-Sport....
I had my rear bumper repainted and my Lexus dealership had subletted the work to an outside body shop. The contractor messed up the first paint job and Lexus had them get it repainted.
Hopefully your dealer has an in-house paint shop.
Old 03-15-19, 11:21 AM
nabeel24
Rookie

Originally Posted by pngo
Awesome... wish I had gotten the F-Sport....
I had my rear bumper repainted and my Lexus dealership had subletted the work to an outside body shop. The contractor messed up the first paint job and Lexus had them get it repainted.
Hopefully your dealer has an in-house paint shop.
Yeah, I actually spoke to the person at the dealership again and was told they let an outside body shop do the work. That body shop does the work on all their cars but regardless. At this point, I'm not sure if I do want my entire bumper repainted since from what I've read, UW is a hard paint to match when repainting especially with their 3-stage process. I did ask if it would look the same as original or as it does now and was told there's no guarantee it will look original but that most time there's always something that gives it away.

With that last comment, I requested them to do the touch up paint and for me to see how it looks and if I want to go ahead with the re-paint. I just don't think a full re-paint is worth the risk for such a small scratch. Wish i didn't have to make this decision at all, but it is what it is.
Old 03-15-19, 11:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

That flaw is so minor.

Personally, I would just get a touch up paint pen from the parts department and dab on some paint on the affected area with a tooth pick. It seems so small from your pictures.

If you have have the Lexus dealership's "authorized" bodyshop fix it, you are going to open up a can of worms. You don't want overspray or even worse new clearcoat flaking down the road due to poor preparation.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, maybe bring the touch up paint and some toothpicks to the shop you plan to have the PPF done as I am sure they could handle it and make it look 98-99%.
Old 03-15-19, 11:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

My car had the rear passenger arch fixed at the Lexus dealership's bodyshop before I got it to repair a light scuff rubbing against a pillar. Only paint was broken. There was no dent.

There are 120-180 grit sanding marks and the clearcoat is lifting near the front A pillar. It looks terrible. They charged the previous owner a grand.

I'm getting a decent shop to fix it next spring.

Lexus or any other dealer "authorized" bodyshops just have contacts with the dealer and do fast and crappy work for the least amount of money.

Old 03-15-19, 11:48 AM
nabeel24
Rookie

Originally Posted by 387
That flaw is so minor.

Personally, I would just get a touch up paint pen from the parts department and dab on some paint on the affected area with a tooth pick. It seems so small from your pictures.

If you have have the Lexus dealership's "authorized" bodyshop fix it, you are going to open up a can of worms. You don't want overspray or even worse new clearcoat flaking down the road due to poor preparation.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, maybe bring the touch up paint and some toothpicks to the shop you plan to have the PPF done as I am sure they could handle it and make it look 98-99%.
Yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards that. I requested the dealer to do a touch up and for me to see how it looks afterwards. If it looks well enough, I'll skip the repainting of the entire bumper. I definitely do not want to risk my entire bumper looking slightly off or anything of that sort. And you are right, it is very very small and only noticeable once up close so I don't think it's worth the risk of the full bumper repaint.
Old 03-15-19, 11:56 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Pretty unlikely that the paint will be as good as factory, and considering it's going to face the brunt of road debris and such I'd rather have the original paint on the front as long as possible.
Old 03-15-19, 11:58 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Usually, the matching is an issue due to paint fade, but if the car is new then technically it could be matched pretty damn closely, Idk if it’s a risk worth taking though.
Old 03-15-19, 12:31 PM
Rak305
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't repaint. I had a small nick like that one and the factory oem touch up paint from Lexus covered it perfectly. I also have a sport Ultra White. The only way you could notice it is if you bent down and were eye level with the bumper and within 2 feet of it. About 3 months later a truck scraped my front bumper and his insurance paid to have my bumper replaced and painted. I took it to a reputable body shop that I've used for years, with flawless paint matching. Needless to say he had to paint it 3 times and even after the 3rd time you can see there is a ever so slight difference in color between the bumper and the rest of the car (it annoys the hell out of me). Again, I'm the only one who can spot the slight color change and its only under certain light at the right angles, everyone else thinks I'm insane and can't see it.

Long story short, keep the factory paint and just get the spot fixed. Even my Lexus dealer has said that ultra white is a pain in the *** to paint and the shops they use mess it up frequently. Congrats on the new car.
Old 03-15-19, 04:09 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,542 Likes on 1,732 Posts

OP - Sorry about your blemish but if I were you, I would NOT have it repainted. When I had my 2015 Lexus IS350 F sport in Ultra white, about a month after owning it I had an incident where a debris on the road ended up causing the quarter pane and rear bumper to be repainted. They tried their best but the tri-coat system makes it hard to be perfect and judging by the size of the blemish, I would TOTALLY opt for the touch up fix. Just ask them if you can have the touch up fix and see if you are happy or not and then consider having the repaint at that point. Keep in mind that with the front bumper, it is just a matter of time before the bumper has blemishes from rock chips anyway ...

Congrats on your new IS by the way

Quick Reply: New 2019 Lexus IS - Front Bumper Repaint