IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

base vs Fsport

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-19, 05:08 PM
gregmikki
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
If they're both in good condition, at similar price and miles, then just go with aesthetics and whichever one pulls you stronger. It sounds like you're leaning to the F Sport.

I wouldn't worry about the instrument cluster. There is a small electric motor, but I see no reason for it to be more prone to failure than, say, a power window motor, door lock actuator, windshield wiper motor, etc. and you aren't worried about those. After that one item, it's just a TFT display, which the base cluster has as well.
good point....and from your sig, it appears heavily invested in l toyota/lexus brand loyalty, so, very cool
The following users liked this post:
JDR76 (03-09-19)
Old 03-08-19, 05:09 PM
gregmikki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Flash5
I HIGHLY recommend the F Sport this is coming from a 23 year old lol
damn, that is the color you have...in the right light and angle... its just so unique and contrasting with the black grill etc...not so say other colors arent stand outs..cough cough, but the blue is special,at least to me..but I am not one to invest based on emotion and it has payed off in my life..thus my initial post for input etc
Old 03-08-19, 05:14 PM
gregmikki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Sounds to me like you actually want to buy both...

You have our approval!
i like that . ...well, i think we(me primarily lol) are test driving this weekend again... then making our decision by by mid week... so will see what shakes up...
Old 03-08-19, 05:19 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

+1 for the F Sport. You will never regret it.
Old 03-08-19, 11:12 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by gregmikki
damn, that is the color you have...in the right light and angle... its just so unique and contrasting with the black grill etc...not so say other colors arent stand outs..cough cough, but the blue is special,at least to me..but I am not one to invest based on emotion and it has payed off in my life..thus my initial post for input etc
Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 definitely turns heads. I just think overall, the F Sport will satisfy you and your daughter more than the base ever could, it’s just so much more unique and sporty. I equate the base model to luxury and the F Sport to sports luxury.
gregmikki (03-11-19)
Old 03-09-19, 08:40 PM
mexicanzer
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I shopped around for an is300 for a while. I was mostly price motivated when I got the one I got. I ended up with a premium, basically base model with sunroof and 18"wheels. Through my comparisons I looked at f sports and Non f sports.
I prefer the regular instrument cluster of the base I'm used to 2 round circles and have no need for a fancy sliding cluster. I prefer the 18" mesh wheels that came on the premium, I would have been fine with the 17's that came on the base though likely would have replaced them. I prefer having fog lights, although they can be installed on an f sport... The only suspension difference is struts and shocks. Not hard to swap out if I decide I need then. Not a fan of all the badges, I'd likely remove most of the f badges if I got an f sport.
As for the seats, I think both were just as comfortable although the base ones aren't as fancy.
So in my opinion, go for the better deal. Save some money and get lower mileage.
Old 03-09-19, 11:25 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

You are buying a Lexus for your 17 year old daughter? Damn, she's spoiled. I think there is only one real question to ask. Will you adopt me?
Flash5 (03-09-19)
Old 03-11-19, 04:15 PM
gregmikki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mexicanzer
I shopped around for an is300 for a while. I was mostly price motivated when I got the one I got. I ended up with a premium, basically base model with sunroof and 18"wheels. Through my comparisons I looked at f sports and Non f sports.
I prefer the regular instrument cluster of the base I'm used to 2 round circles and have no need for a fancy sliding cluster. I prefer the 18" mesh wheels that came on the premium, I would have been fine with the 17's that came on the base though likely would have replaced them. I prefer having fog lights, although they can be installed on an f sport... The only suspension difference is struts and shocks. Not hard to swap out if I decide I need then. Not a fan of all the badges, I'd likely remove most of the f badges if I got an f sport.
As for the seats, I think both were just as comfortable although the base ones aren't as fancy.
So in my opinion, go for the better deal. Save some money and get lower mileage.
that is a good view point and very sensible , so thanks for other side...though i dont think i would upgrade a base , would just get as is, so that is my reason behind getting the right one from the beginning ...it will be as is etc, but I think she is fine with it...test drove them both this weekend ...i think I am more excited about the fsport than she is...making an offer this weekend to buy etc so will have our mind made up by thursday/friday etc.
Old 03-11-19, 04:21 PM
gregmikki
Driver School Candidate

:
Originally Posted by jimv1983
You are buying a Lexus for your 17 year old daughter? Damn, she's spoiled. I think there is only one real question to ask. Will you adopt me?
LOL...she is a beautiful young girl and I am a happy dad to be able to sort of spoil her...if you are in sunny fl sometime, shoot me line, we are near the beach and all that fl fun stuff, well call it a weekend adoption lol...
Old 03-12-19, 06:38 AM
net4n6
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

:

LOL...she is a beautiful young girl and I am a happy dad to be able to sort of spoil her...if you are in sunny fl sometime, shoot me line, we are near the beach and all that fl fun stuff, well call it a weekend adoption lol...
Congrats on your decision to get a Lexus (pending F or non-F) for your daughter. I got one for my 18 yrs old son. We worked hard for our kids. As long as we can afford "nice things" for our kids. Why not? No one know our kids better than us. I spoiled my sons. 1 in major in Bio/Chem+job (Pharm Tech). 1 got accepted in college (major in Computer Science/Cyber Security).
Back to the topic.
Old 03-12-19, 03:10 PM
gregmikki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by net4n6
Congrats on your decision to get a Lexus (pending F or non-F) for your daughter. I got one for my 18 yrs old son. We worked hard for our kids. As long as we can afford "nice things" for our kids. Why not? No one know our kids better than us. I spoiled my sons. 1 in major in Bio/Chem+job (Pharm Tech). 1 got accepted in college (major in Computer Science/Cyber Security).
Back to the topic.
hey good to hear that about kids, yes ,mine is on track for PA program when she graduates so I hope to have built in medical care lol and, as you said , worked hard and glad to do it for her as well, life will have plenty of ups and downs on her ow etc so enjoy the good when its there...

net4n6 (03-14-19)
Old 03-14-19, 06:07 AM
aniks
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey good to hear that about kids, yes ,mine is on track for PA program when she graduates so I hope to have built in medical care lol and, as you said , worked hard and glad to do it for her as well, life will have plenty of ups and downs on her ow etc so enjoy the good when its there...

I was on track to do PA as well! It's much more competitive and harder to get into then one would think (I now do operations work for a biotech firm). Hopefully she's good with memorization as the next 4-6 years will be brutal if she sticks with it(but best times as well).

Anyways as mentioned above, premium is a good option as well! Anyways whatever you decide, the Lexus would be a great option. Be sure to post a pic of whichever car you two decide!
net4n6 (03-14-19)
Old 04-02-19, 01:41 PM
aniks
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious to see which car you bought and if you bought one at all? Plus your end reasoning!

Currently my uncle is going through a similar debate with buying my little cousin a car. Although they're looking at an S-Line vs Non-S-Line Audi A4.
Old 04-02-19, 01:48 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by aniks
I'm curious to see which car you bought and if you bought one at all? Plus your end reasoning!

Currently my uncle is going through a similar debate with buying my little cousin a car. Although they're looking at an S-Line vs Non-S-Line Audi A4.
I don't have mine yet but I'm getting the 300h UL. I special ordered and it will be here in the next week. I choose the 300h because the 50% better gas mileage was more important to me than the 1.5 seconds better 0-60. Plus, I love the smoother acceleration you get with the CVT.
Old 04-04-19, 03:27 PM
gregmikki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aniks

well...I'll be brief...we test drove on weekend and told the sc that i would be back mid week or by end of week at latest to purchase..asked if i should place a retainer or anything and he said no, as we had purchased my wife's 15 rx from the dealership. I got an email Wednesday am that the car was sold...i didn't see the email until after i showed up there Friday afternoon(took an uber so i could drive the car back)..no phone call, no text just that email..I am really pissed(saying it mildly) and surprised they handled it so poorly..they still had the base..but the blue f sport was sold..They wanted to talk and explain(you know like when you catch your s.o cheating or something and they hurriedly try to explain..see what happened was blah blah..)...i tried real hard not to smack somebody or at least a good shake(im 6'2,210+)..but did manage to give them the finger and walk away, didn't want to hear it at that point..they have called(what? now you have my number..) a few times ...man i think i miss that car lol... but good thing i never told my daughter which car etc...was just going to show up in it and surprise her .. so uber back to office and came home as is. Told my wife and then the fireworks started lol and after the crying and screaming and knocking stuff around(she finally calmed me down... lol j/k ) we decided we would just look around some more...and as you mentioned about the audi , my daughter likes the a3 too, so will see....one of the messages they left was regarding the base and discounted price etc, so i could have bought it, but couldn't be discounted enough to wash the bitter taste etc... my daughter is good about it all and shes fine waiting, so all in all..life goes on and all that good stuff....OK maybe not brief..but brief..ish..peace guys...

Quick Reply: base vs Fsport