IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

base vs Fsport

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-19, 12:18 PM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

17 y.o teenager and driving a 3IS for a starter car? Might wanna consider a CT200h, less powerful car, sips fuel and safer for inexperienced drivers. 3IS turbo or not, f-sport or not, it might be a tad too powerful for a young driver. Just my 2c...
Old 03-05-19, 12:26 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by gregmikki
yes, the aesthetics is quite remarkable and while I thought I valued long term cost reduct..man, that blue is a beauty and the car guy in me says to go for fsport but yes, been there on buyers remorse , so a solid point on that one....
It won't really be "your" car, but I know myself that if I made the decision over a few bucks and such, that every time I saw an F-Sport afterwards buyer's remorse would kick me in the gut.
The following users liked this post:
gregmikki (03-05-19)
Old 03-05-19, 12:38 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,489 Likes on 1,797 Posts

damn...you had me thinking one more for fsport and then ....wham.... switch arroooh...but yes, I read about the get and not hearing of issues , but guess in 5 or so years , that may be a different and possibly expensive story etc...
I'm just saying, getting an IS as a first car seems great. I would have been asking people to pinch me if my first car was an IS. I got my grandmother's 2001 Buick Century as a first car. At the time, it was nearly 10 years old and was pretty much the most boring car on the road. And it was slow and not luxurious - but, a very good highway car. Comfy and smooth, with 30 MPG on the highway to boot.
Old 03-05-19, 01:12 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

Definitely get the Fsport. It's nicer looking and just about every aftermarket lip kit is for F Sport only.

Maintenance wise it should all be the same.
Old 03-05-19, 02:53 PM
gregmikki
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zhifan1
17 y.o teenager and driving a 3IS for a starter car? Might wanna consider a CT200h, less powerful car, sips fuel and safer for inexperienced drivers. 3IS turbo or not, f-sport or not, it might be a tad too powerful for a young driver. Just my 2c...
I agree with the 3is but this is the 200t, from all my reading , this like a good blend of reliability, safety and still sufficiently powerful etc, but yes, the gas mpg is not the best
Old 03-05-19, 03:02 PM
gregmikki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arentz07
I'm just saying, getting an IS as a first car seems great. I would have been asking people to pinch me if my first car was an IS. I got my grandmother's 2001 Buick Century as a first car. At the time, it was nearly 10 years old and was pretty much the most boring car on the road. And it was slow and not luxurious - but, a very good highway car. Comfy and smooth, with 30 MPG on the highway to boot.
i agree, my first car was a datzun 510 wagon type beast with paneling...yeah i was an eighties kid and this car was a 70's beater, but it ran and ran well through college....she is my only one, so though such a nice car is something i wouldn't have thought to do earlier in life especially when single, now seems logical or at least a strong why not...life passes quickly and though a few, a lot really, said , get her a beater etc, you know same as you...while i agree and have great stories about my beater, well if i can spoil her just a little, it must be a good thing...you know , before real life comes calling lol
Old 03-05-19, 03:03 PM
gregmikki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS
Definitely get the Fsport. It's nicer looking and just about every aftermarket lip kit is for F Sport only.

Maintenance wise it should all be the same.
well, really considering keeping it stock , but yeah a lip and then a spoiler and then rims, and then hid this and that...lol, no stock it is but a lip kit wont hurt...so good news and thanks
Old 03-05-19, 03:05 PM
gregmikki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arentz07
I'll echo what others have said about the F Sport. I wouldn't worry about it being expensive to fix down the road. If the brake pads wear out quickly, you can just replace them with the non-F-Sport pads or aftermarket. I haven't heard of any issues with the TFT gauges either. That being said, since it's presumably a first car, I'd just go with the lower-mileage, cheaper option. Seems like a better deal.
btw , what have you replaced in your car and was cost significantly different than a non f sport?
Old 03-05-19, 04:49 PM
osiriskidd
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

have you looked at the luxury package?
outside of the is350 sport+ mode, fsport of mostly aesthetics.
memory seats and parking sensors would be worth it.
Old 03-05-19, 07:39 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,489 Likes on 1,797 Posts

btw , what have you replaced in your car and was cost significantly different than a non f sport?
Can't say yet. I haven't had to do brakes yet. The only thing I have replaced is a set of tires. I got the BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S. They're fantastic and cheaper than OEM Bridgestone Turanzas. Otherwise, I haven't paid a cent for anything yet.
Old 03-06-19, 08:06 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

I actually just read a report recently stating the digital clusters for Lexus are pretty solid. I can’t remember where it was but apparently they actually last a long time unlike other brands (ahem BMW and Audi) haha.
gregmikki (03-06-19)
Old 03-06-19, 08:30 AM
net4n6
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

@OP. I asked the same question last month when I was shopping an IS200t for my son. I decided the F-Sport option was a "must have". The difference in price was not much for me. My decision to go with the F-Sport were follow:

- Resale value in the future
- Buyer's remorse for not getting the "Non-F" will be greater than getting the "F".
- For maintenance, as far as brake pads and tires. The cost will not be a big different during the life of the ownership. 5-7 years for 12K per year.
- For reliability, technically, it is a Toyota. :-)
- F-Sport looks better.
Old 03-06-19, 09:54 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Olasek
If this was my daughter, it would be an easy choice - is200t.
if it was either of my daughters, it would an easier choice, used well maintained Toyota Yaris or Rav4 under $5k CASH. No way I'd buy them a Lexus IS. They want a Lexus, get good grades, college, than their own job.
Old 03-06-19, 10:11 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by GibbsLexus
if it was either of my daughters, it would an easier choice, used well maintained Toyota Yaris or Rav4 under $5k CASH. No way I'd buy them a Lexus IS. They want a Lexus, get good grades, college, than their own job.
While I agree, this thread isn’t about whether he should or shouldn’t buy her a 3IS. He asked which one he should get for her. Not really our place to judge. Just my opinion.
net4n6 (03-07-19)
Old 03-06-19, 10:15 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

If all else being equal, get the F-sport, always.. it just stands out, looks better and easier for resale. There are conversion kits that convert base IS to F-Sport and not the other way round lol.. i think that says it all.

FWIW, i love my Base IS200t and as posted on the other thread, i've already drvne it for 2.5years and plan to keep it for another 7.5 making it 10 years. I don't plan to "convert" mine to look like an F-sport, but i always think to myself... "F-sport just looks nicer"

Last edited by zhifan1; 03-06-19 at 10:21 AM.

Quick Reply: base vs Fsport