IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

base vs Fsport

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-19, 10:19 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5

While I agree, this thread isn’t about whether he should or shouldn’t buy her a 3IS. He asked which one he should get for her. Not really our place to judge. Just my opinion.
Agreed. Also asked which he should get for her...not what we would get for ourselves lol.

They're both long term keepers and near identical cars...biggest difference given who the car is for is color and front grille. 95% of drivers probably wouldn't know what all their car has or doesn't have or what the drive difference is between this or that etc. Looks pretty, costs X, color X, has X button, etc.
Old 03-06-19, 10:48 AM
aniks
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless she's into cars, go with the base model. Use the difference to put towards new tires and/or the insurance costs (which I'm sure won't be cheap for a newer "sports" sedan and a younger driver).
Old 03-06-19, 11:50 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

While I agree, this thread isn’t about whether he should or shouldn’t buy her a 3IS. He asked which one he should get for her. Not really our place to judge. Just my opinion.
I know. Just couldn't help that. No judgement here. Just my 2 cents. To be fair it was off topic but hey, it's the internet. Someone was gonna mention a comment like this. On topic, though if I were to choose, I'd get her the base model.
Old 03-06-19, 02:08 PM
gregmikki
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by @osiriskidd
have you looked at the luxury package?
outside of the is350 sport+ mode, fsport of mostly aesthetics.
memory seats and parking sensors would be worth it.

yeah and thanks; but I am getting a CPO, so its sort of color and then options for her etc but yeah that's a nice set up the lux package
Old 03-06-19, 02:12 PM
gregmikki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by net4n6
@OP. I asked the same question last month when I was shopping an IS200t for my son. I decided the F-Sport option was a "must have". The difference in price was not much for me. My decision to go with the F-Sport were follow:

- Resale value in the future
- Buyer's remorse for not getting the "Non-F" will be greater than getting the "F".
- For maintenance, as far as brake pads and tires. The cost will not be a big different during the life of the ownership. 5-7 years for 12K per year.
- For reliability, technically, it is a Toyota. :-)
- F-Sport looks better.
i definetely agree with all those points but I do see somethings may be lost on her...wondering if i want that car, the blue one, more for myself lol
Old 03-06-19, 02:16 PM
gregmikki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GibbsLexus
if it was either of my daughters, it would an easier choice, used well maintained Toyota Yaris or Rav4 under $5k CASH. No way I'd buy them a Lexus IS. They want a Lexus, get good grades, college, than their own job.
while i wholeheartedly agree with you on a certain level, i did mention in an earlier post, that somethings you got to say what the heck or some exotic and/or esoteric phrase lol but yes those cars, or really most sub 5k cars are great for the "there i was at 3am raining and dark as ever and car wont start....let me call my dad!" so it may backfire on me as well...but seriously, i had a 330, my wife now has a 350 and both cars have been the best of all of them in terms of reliability...so i guess im looking for that peace of mind for her as well with a little bling to go along with it....
Old 03-06-19, 02:18 PM
gregmikki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aniks
Unless she's into cars, go with the base model. Use the difference to put towards new tires and/or the insurance costs (which I'm sure won't be cheap for a newer "sports" sedan and a younger driver).
spot on my thoughts initially and still back and forth, but yes that is left shoulder caricature, the right one says, go blue..fsport... lol
Old 03-06-19, 02:40 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,503 Likes on 1,804 Posts

Originally Posted by gregmikki
while i wholeheartedly agree with you on a certain level, i did mention in an earlier post, that somethings you got to say what the heck or some exotic and/or esoteric phrase lol but yes those cars, or really most sub 5k cars are great for the "there i was at 3am raining and dark as ever and car wont start....let me call my dad!" so it may backfire on me as well...but seriously, i had a 330, my wife now has a 350 and both cars have been the best of all of them in terms of reliability...so i guess im looking for that peace of mind for her as well with a little bling to go along with it....
An ES 330? A BMW 330i? An ES 350? Lots of models with those numbers attached.

I respect you for wanting to get her a car that is going to have 0 issues at least for a few years. My old Buick Century (first car) was pretty much bulletproof other than the infamous false-alarm check engine light of GM sedans of that time, and window regulators dying a couple of times. Drivetrain-wise, I had no issues whatsoever as I added 30,000 miles to the odometer over 4 years. I was lucky that my grandmother felt like upgrading to a newer car after paying it off. Well, more accurately, my uncle convinced her to. So I "bought" it from her for $1. However, I think I got lucky. Most GM products of the 2000's weren't known for being uber-reliable like Toyota/Lexus vehicles. And with the IS 200t being a sub-$30,000 vehicle CPO, it's not too shabby an investment as a reliable runabout. So I think any hate is uncalled for - though at the same time, I'd have been giddy to have a snazzy Lexus as a first car. Heck, I was intimidated just owning a car at all...
Old 03-06-19, 02:51 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

i definetely agree with all those points but I do see somethings may be lost on her...wondering if i want that car, the blue one, more for myself lol
Sounds to me like you actually want to buy both...

You have our approval!
Old 03-06-19, 03:12 PM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

fair points. This is why I mentioned Toyotas.
Old 03-06-19, 03:18 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

I HIGHLY recommend the F Sport this is coming from a 23 year old lol
Old 03-06-19, 03:52 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

If they're both in good condition, at similar price and miles, then just go with aesthetics and whichever one pulls you stronger. It sounds like you're leaning to the F Sport.

I wouldn't worry about the instrument cluster. There is a small electric motor, but I see no reason for it to be more prone to failure than, say, a power window motor, door lock actuator, windshield wiper motor, etc. and you aren't worried about those. After that one item, it's just a TFT display, which the base cluster has as well.
The following users liked this post:
gregmikki (03-08-19)
Old 03-06-19, 05:12 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
If they're both in good condition, at similar price and miles, then just go with aesthetics and whichever one pulls you stronger. It sounds like you're leaning to the F Sport.

I wouldn't worry about the instrument cluster. There is a small electric motor, but I see no reason for it to be more prone to failure than, say, a power window motor, door lock actuator, windshield wiper motor, etc. and you aren't worried about those. After that one item, it's just a TFT display, which the base cluster has as well.
Almost nobody slides the cluster over constantly either, so the odds of it wearing out are even less.
Old 03-08-19, 05:05 PM
gregmikki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arentz07
An ES 330? A BMW 330i? An ES 350? Lots of models with those numbers attached.

I respect you for wanting to get her a car that is going to have 0 issues at least for a few years. My old Buick Century (first car) was pretty much bulletproof other than the infamous false-alarm check engine light of GM sedans of that time, and window regulators dying a couple of times. Drivetrain-wise, I had no issues whatsoever as I added 30,000 miles to the odometer over 4 years. I was lucky that my grandmother felt like upgrading to a newer car after paying it off. Well, more accurately, my uncle convinced her to. So I "bought" it from her for $1. However, I think I got lucky. Most GM products of the 2000's weren't known for being uber-reliable like Toyota/Lexus vehicles. And with the IS 200t being a sub-$30,000 vehicle CPO, it's not too shabby an investment as a reliable runabout. So I think any hate is uncalled for - though at the same time, I'd have been giddy to have a snazzy Lexus as a first car. Heck, I was intimidated just owning a car at all...
yep, it was a es330 and fairly flawless car, ended up selling it my nephew and he drove it to 214k miles and I lost track of it after that. but yeah, we really liked the older model shape of the is250 but cant find one that is cpo anymore , but I was craving a is350 at one time, but such a small car and I am 6'2 so I let that go...30 k over 4 years...no much driving lol...i bought a 300zx back some time ago and loved that car...put 31 k miles the first year...i think i drove that car everywhere..bathroom, kitchen, living room...you get the idea, but when i got married, the wife said...chick magnet...out!!!! so that eventually left...lol and got a GMC envoy! another nice suv..oh well as you said sub 30k and cpo is a good deal...
Old 03-08-19, 05:06 PM
gregmikki
Driver School Candidate

Almost nobody slides the cluster over constantly either, so the odds of it wearing out are even less.
indeed, but I bet you she will...

Quick Reply: base vs Fsport