IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2015 IS250 engine shut off while in drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-19, 12:45 PM
apod
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 IS250 engine shut off while in drive

Today, I started the car, put the car in drive, was in drive for about 15 seconds, slowed down to check for oncoming cars, and my engine shut off. A warning sound came on and my dashboard said " engine shut off, put car in P and push start button." Engine turned back on and drove okay the rest of the way home. What could be the cause? Should I be worried? Is this typical?

Been having acceleration issues for a while. Even posted it on here and tell this to every service technician I see when I go in to get something done. Every time I'm told that they don't see any thing wrong, no codes, and can't repeat the issue. I press on the gas pedal and car does not go forward. rpms don't kick in right away or they slowly build up. Lately, this hasn't been happening. I started using BP gas and it seemed to fix the problem, but it hasn't been perfect. What also irks me is that after I go in for a service, my car runs smooth like butter. It accelerates very fast without me changing the pressure on the gas pedal, so I know how the car can run. This is usually when I drive more aggressively because there's no hesitation. Then after around the time I fill up again, it starts to accelerate slower and becomes jerky (because the rpms car slowly building but the speed isn't and it jumps to catch up). I'm sure I'll hear to try Shell gas but the car ran smooth with BP gas. My car is also under warranty so I worry that the service technicians might know what the problem is but are waiting for my warranty to expire for that I have to dish out the money instead of Lexus covering it. I suspect this because they haven't written my concern in my service history.

To give more info, my car has 26,000 miles and even though it was 15 degrees today, I have these issues in the summer as well. Any help I can get is appreciated.
Old 03-04-19, 12:51 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by apod
Today, I started the car, put the car in drive, was in drive for about 15 seconds, slowed down to check for oncoming cars, and my engine shut off. A warning sound came on and my dashboard said " engine shut off, put car in P and push start button." Engine turned back on and drove okay the rest of the way home. What could be the cause? Should I be worried? Is this typical?

Been having acceleration issues for a while. Even posted it on here and tell this to every service technician I see when I go in to get something done. Every time I'm told that they don't see any thing wrong, no codes, and can't repeat the issue. I press on the gas pedal and car does not go forward. rpms don't kick in right away or they slowly build up. Lately, this hasn't been happening. I started using BP gas and it seemed to fix the problem, but it hasn't been perfect. What also irks me is that after I go in for a service, my car runs smooth like butter. It accelerates very fast without me changing the pressure on the gas pedal, so I know how the car can run. This is usually when I drive more aggressively because there's no hesitation. Then after around the time I fill up again, it starts to accelerate slower and becomes jerky (because the rpms car slowly building but the speed isn't and it jumps to catch up). I'm sure I'll hear to try Shell gas but the car ran smooth with BP gas. My car is also under warranty so I worry that the service technicians might know what the problem is but are waiting for my warranty to expire for that I have to dish out the money instead of Lexus covering it. I suspect this because they haven't written my concern in my service history.

To give more info, my car has 26,000 miles and even though it was 15 degrees today, I have these issues in the summer as well. Any help I can get is appreciated.
It doesn’t really make sense for the technicians to not want to do it because of that because Corporate Lexus pays them the costs under warranty so really they would be better off trying to get you taken care of under warranty. Now, them not wanting to do a big job because they feel lazy is a different story haha. I would start with plugging up an OBDII scanner to see if anything shows up regardless whether a CEL light came on or not.
Old 03-04-19, 01:34 PM
apod
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Flash5

It doesn’t really make sense for the technicians to not want to do it because of that because Corporate Lexus pays them the costs under warranty so really they would be better off trying to get you taken care of under warranty. Now, them not wanting to do a big job because they feel lazy is a different story haha. I would start with plugging up an OBDII scanner to see if anything shows up regardless whether a CEL light came on or not.
Didn't know that. I guess I feel a little better that they're not trying to wait me out to pay for it. If I can get my hands on a scanner, I'll try that. Thanks
Old 03-04-19, 02:16 PM
evltwn
Advanced

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by apod
Didn't know that. I guess I feel a little better that they're not trying to wait me out to pay for it. If I can get my hands on a scanner, I'll try that. Thanks
You can get a scanner from Amazon really easy. That's what I did when I got a CEL and went to Autozone and used theirs. Decided it was easier to get my own. Also I'd recommend leaving your car at the dealership for a couple days if you can. They should give you a loaner. I have done this in the past with my car, when I've had hard to diagnose issues.
Old 03-05-19, 07:23 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

First thing is you need them to document this in your service history.
Imagine you have an issue after warranty that relates directly to your complaint.
Lexus corporate would be willing to cover it if there is a history of you complaining about it while the vehicle was under warranty.
Without them documenting it, then when someone looks at your service history there is no proof that you had complained about anything....therefore nothing was ever wrong with the vehicle while under warranty.

Even if the tech couldn't find anything wrong, documenting it shows when you complained, what the complaint was, and that nothing was found.

Just throwing it out there...if the issue only starts after fill-up, kinda sounds like there is crap at the bottom of the tank that is getting stirred up from the refueling process and causing some fuel flow issues until it settles back down.
Could be water...or anything that may have been in the fuel station tank.
Maybe try some fuel injector cleaner in the tank.
There's also some products out there that help combine the moisture in the tank with the fuel in order to get it moved through the lines and burn in the combustion process.
Can't remember a product name off hand.
Old 08-26-23, 03:05 PM
DuvaunC
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,
Did you find out what was the issue? because I am having a similar issue with my car now, I was told that my spark plugs maybe the issue, so im going to have those changed and see if i see any difference.
Old 08-27-23, 11:22 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 784 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by DuvaunC
Hey,
Did you find out what was the issue? because I am having a similar issue with my car now, I was told that my spark plugs maybe the issue, so im going to have those changed and see if i see any difference.
This thread is 4 years old, it's unlikely the OP is going to respond.
Old 09-12-23, 10:41 AM
apod
9th Gear

OP here! I don't know if this fixed the issue but my car did stop doing this. Haven't had this issue since.

I took my car into the dealership after this post. One of the tech's took it home and was able to experience the problem first hand. He told me it was the gasoline, that I need to use premium gas. They drained the gas tank, filled in their gas and it's been great since. I did change gas stations after that. I used to only fill up at a BP near me. After this service, I stopped going there and all was well. I'm convinced it was that gas station or some crap in my tank.

I agree with Sasnuke's response:
"Just throwing it out there...if the issue only starts after fill-up, kinda sounds like there is crap at the bottom of the tank that is getting stirred up from the refueling process and causing some fuel flow issues until it settles back down.
Could be water...or anything that may have been in the fuel station tank.
Maybe try some fuel injector cleaner in the tank.
There's also some products out there that help combine the moisture in the tank with the fuel in order to get it moved through the lines and burn in the combustion process.
Can't remember a product name off hand."

I think the dealership draining my tank took out any crap out from there. Hopefully things work out for you!
The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (09-12-23)