IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Outside Air Cabin Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-19, 09:19 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts
Default Outside Air Cabin Leak

So I discovered something interesting the other day. I had the sunroof in the lifted position (not slid back and fully open) and I don’t ever lift or open it often. I noticed that cold air was coming through the door by where the buttons/window buttons are while driving on the highway. I asked my wife if she felt it on her side on the passenger side door and she said yes. I was very intrigued. I closed the sunroof and the air stopped coming in from there. Very interesting, anyone else notice this? Lol
Old 02-10-19, 09:25 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
So I discovered something interesting the other day. I had the sunroof in the lifted position (not slid back and fully open) and I don’t ever lift or open it often. I noticed that cold air was coming through the door by where the buttons/window buttons are while driving on the highway. I asked my wife if she felt it on her side on the passenger side door and she said yes. I was very intrigued. I closed the sunroof and the air stopped coming in from there. Very interesting, anyone else notice this? Lol
will try tomorrow. i have noticed I have wind noise coming from driver door/window, not terrible like something’s broken but loud enough to notice.
Old 02-11-19, 09:22 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NickCaesar

will try tomorrow. i have noticed I have wind noise coming from driver door/window, not terrible like something’s broken but loud enough to notice.
Same, it’s very faint. I think it’s the door seal.
Old 02-11-19, 11:37 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

Same, it’s very faint. I think it’s the door seal.
I’ve got a super annoying plastic tapping sound coming from driver side dash, it’s driving me insane it’s constant I’ve looked at everything can’t figure it out, I noticed it after a remote starter install I’m thinking they left something loose or something
Old 02-11-19, 05:29 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Yup! But not through the door seal between door panel and dash.....coming up through the window/lock control buttons.
Mind Blown.
Old 02-11-19, 05:38 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Yup! But not through the door seal between door panel and dash.....coming up through the window/lock control buttons.
Mind Blown.
And only when the moon roof (which controlled at the ceiling above the center console) is lifted open? Bizarre...
Old 02-11-19, 07:22 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Yeah it’s really weird haha. I’m 99% sure it’s something Lexus overlooked.
Old 02-11-19, 07:37 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Yeah it’s really weird haha. I’m 99% sure it’s something Lexus overlooked.
Did you notice it was coming literally through the buttons as though from inside the door panel?

it is super weird just want to be sure we're having the same experience here Haha.
Old 02-11-19, 08:07 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Did you notice it was coming literally through the buttons as though from inside the door panel?

it is super weird just want to be sure we're having the same experience here Haha.
I’m pretty damn sure it was from the buttons lol. I was running my hand around that area trying to figure out where it was coming from and it felt the coldest around the buttons haha.
Old 02-11-19, 08:19 PM
HOMER350
Racer

I’m pretty damn sure it was from the buttons lol. I was running my hand around that area trying to figure out where it was coming from and it felt the coldest around the buttons haha.
Ah ok good...cause I'm positive mine was coming through the buttons ha. All I have are theories but no good conclusions hmm...
Old 02-11-19, 10:09 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

I checked this out on my way home from work and sure enough, there was air coming in from the door lock/window power buttons. The airflow was a lot more noticeable when the sunroof was tilted open. Here is what I believe is going on:

Air likes to flow from high pressure to low pressure. The greater the difference, the greater the flow. When the sunroof is tilted open, the once relatively well sealed cabin is now open to the outside. As the car moves, air flows at some velocity past the sunroof, which effectively creates a vacuum at the opening. The pressurized cabin is now exposed to an opening with an effective 0 static pressure, which then causes the flow through the buttons to increase. You can verify that it isn't just the sunroof causing this by rolling down a window and feeling the button area.

I find it interesting that the interior of the door panel is not sealed off...
Old 02-12-19, 05:07 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Everything that has been observed and noted above is quite normal.
As pngo stated, it's air moving through the cabin...not necessary that it's air directly coming from the outside and through the buttons on the driver's door.
The interior of the door panel will not be completely sealed off as you will need gaps in the weatherproofing seal for the door handle linkage and the wire harness for the buttons, not to mention the holes for the clips that hold the door panel onto the door.
The frame of the door will be sealed to the body of the vehicle, and the door itself on the exterior of that seal will also be sealed, so in a way you don't need the door panel to seal 100%.
Not to mention the giant opening under the wiper cowl that lets fresh air into the hvac box.
Old 02-12-19, 05:38 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Just to clarify, I wasn’t complaining, it was just a random thing I discovered. I’ve had plenty of cars with sunroofs and this is the first car to do this so I was curious if anyone else was experiencing this. It’s actually pretty interesting this happens haha. I appreciatie everyone’s explanations. I was pretty sure it had to do with the wind going through areas in the car due to there being an opening. It was just very intriguing that it was from the button area where I felt the most cold wind.
Old 02-12-19, 09:29 AM
HOMER350
Racer

That makes sense.
So I didnt like my own theory on the moonroof creating vacuum pressure, until I recalled my smoking days and the effect the tilted or open moonroof had. So makes sense the pressure would be sufficient to draw air from the door panel.

However, I believe it to be air from outside vehicle (was not clear if you guys concluded to that or not previously). It is a cool and continuous flow of air. Doesn't mean air is blowing inside the door, but there are plenty of opportunities for it to draw air from the outside, into the door structure, and then naturally into the door panel. I've inspected.
Door handle, door latch, wire harness, some rubber stop plugs. All with some rubber gaskets for water seal but not tight enough to prevent drawing air if theres enough vacuum pressure.

I want complaining either just really fascinated. Now that I understand with some help naturally it's a little less fascinating ha.
Old 02-15-19, 12:05 AM
bartucelik
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It’s weird but the fact is when you tilt the moonroof open you get more air from the vents. You guys turn off the air completely but leave it on outside air mode then open the moonroof you will see a lot of air blowing from the vents
The air is not coming from the windows buttons or door or anything
its coming from the central vents and driver side vent
just try

Quick Reply: Outside Air Cabin Leak