IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS 350 tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-19, 06:43 AM
Crossxup11
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just bought a fresh set of Conti DWS06 yesterday. I don't know if its just the tires or a combination of tires and an alignment but these ride much smoother than the stock tires. Like, muuuccchhhh smoother. I got on the gas a little to see if they'd make any noise, but they were super quiet. It's still too early for me to review them properly, but initial impressions are:
Quiet
Zero play in the steering wheel
Old 04-02-19, 07:49 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossxup11
Just bought a fresh set of Conti DWS06 yesterday. I don't know if its just the tires or a combination of tires and an alignment but these ride much smoother than the stock tires. Like, muuuccchhhh smoother. I got on the gas a little to see if they'd make any noise, but they were super quiet. It's still too early for me to review them properly, but initial impressions are:
Quiet
Zero play in the steering wheel
What did u pay? I’m getting quotes around 900$ for DWS06’s and about $850 for g force comp-2 a/s’s
Old 04-02-19, 09:47 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,895 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
What did u pay? I’m getting quotes around 900$ for DWS06’s and about $850 for g force comp-2 a/s’s
At Costco I paid $766.52 for my Comp-2's, including installation and road hazard warranty. Tire Rack is currently showing $629.96 (not including installation) for the same tires. Install is supposed to cost about $100.

And... I just realized you're in Canada.

Converting those to Canadian, I get:
  • Costco: $1024.57
  • Tire Rack: $842.04
So I'd say those are pretty reasonable deals, especially if install is included.
Old 04-02-19, 11:36 AM
Crossxup11
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
About $900 for the set of 4 tires.

If you buy now, Conti has a special $100 rebate in the form of a prepaid visa. I went to Canadian Tire, they had the cheapest price and best warranty.
Old 04-02-19, 12:59 PM
MoreNachos
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I also support the DWS06. They were exceptional in the snow as well, took the IS up to the mountains skiing every week and had no problems.
Old 04-02-19, 09:02 PM
aniks
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also looking for some tires for my car. I'm torn between the Conti's DWS06 and the Pirelli P Zero A/S.

Tirerack did a comparison between those two, the Michellin Pilot Sports A/S 3+ and Bridgestone Potenzas. It looked like overall, the pirelli's did pretty well:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=230

However, I know very few people with Pirelli's, so I'm trying to find out more info before I buy!
Old 04-03-19, 06:44 AM
Crossxup11
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by aniks
I'm also looking for some tires for my car. I'm torn between the Conti's DWS06 and the Pirelli P Zero A/S.

Tirerack did a comparison between those two, the Michellin Pilot Sports A/S 3+ and Bridgestone Potenzas. It looked like overall, the pirelli's did pretty well:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=230

However, I know very few people with Pirelli's, so I'm trying to find out more info before I buy!
My mechanic, who is a proud Italian-Canadian and loves Italian autos, advised me against the Pirelli's. Based on my research, they were my first choice too. He said they perform very well, but that I'd be lucky to get 30k KM out of them. I really don't want to have to buy new tires that often.
Old 04-03-19, 07:12 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,895 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossxup11
My mechanic, who is a proud Italian-Canadian and loves Italian autos, advised me against the Pirelli's. Based on my research, they were my first choice too. He said they perform very well, but that I'd be lucky to get 30k KM out of them. I really don't want to have to buy new tires that often.
+1, though with the bushing upgrade, you might be able to stretch them for a few more kilometers. If you don't change the bushings, no sense in getting an expensive tire, since the fronts will be gone in a short time.

I'll echo what others have said before that the DWS06 are great for a compromise between performance and comfort as far as UHP A/S tires go. I only drove on them once, but I noticed the difference in impact harshness right away. They are good in the snow as well. If you want a sportier driving experience they might not be ideal however. Don't get me wrong, they are still a performance tire, but there are sportier options, like the Michelins in particular, or the BFGoodrichs if you want to spend a little less.
Old 04-03-19, 05:03 PM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Quick question, I have the DWS tires with <8K miles and still around 6-7/32 tread. They sound like tractor tires. Do others find tires to be noisier in winter than summer? Temps here get into the single digits and below zero.
Old 04-03-19, 05:29 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ShrinkDoc
Quick question, I have the DWS tires with <8K miles and still around 6-7/32 tread. They sound like tractor tires. Do others find tires to be noisier in winter than summer? Temps here get into the single digits and below zero.
All tires will be noisier when it's colder. The compound gets stiffer the colder is outside.
The following users liked this post:
ShrinkDoc (04-04-19)
Old 04-04-19, 08:55 AM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by s3v3n
Are those Avant Garde M240 wheels?
No, AIMGAIN GV-S Wheels: https://www.topendmotorsports.com/le...114-3-1929.php
Old 04-04-19, 09:11 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Like Arentz07, I have the BF Goodrich tires which do the job for me up here in New England. I eventually wanted to switch to Michelin Pilot Sports A/S 3+ but the BF Goodrich Comp 2 A/S hold up well against big potholes, snow, hard braking/cornering for me so I may not switch over to Michelins.

IMO,unless you have the GSF/RCF or RR Racing bushings installed I dont see a reason to buy expensive tires since you will be replacing them more frequently than you want.
Old 10-19-19, 09:27 PM
TurkEclips
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced my Michelin A/S 3 + with Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 today. I went with the DWS because of slight chance of dealing with snow when in the mountains but now I am having second thoughts. The steering is loose and I am not confident in the car. Tonight it rained and they lost grip a few times going around 70 on a steady (not hard rain). The Michelins handled better and I cant stand the loose steering. I want to take them back.
Old 10-20-19, 07:08 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by TurkEclips
I just replaced my Michelin A/S 3 + with Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 today. I went with the DWS because of slight chance of dealing with snow when in the mountains but now I am having second thoughts. The steering is loose and I am not confident in the car. Tonight it rained and they lost grip a few times going around 70 on a steady (not hard rain). The Michelins handled better and I cant stand the loose steering. I want to take them back.
My thoughts exactly after I put them on my other car. Not as stable, the sidewall is too soft. Lots of recommendations for a comfortable ride, but not good for a sporty car.
I found that increasing the tire pressure a bit helps somewhat (I found 4psi over the door placard value pretty good, but that is on a car with 20” wheels, not my 3IS, so you’ll have to experiment to see if you can find something acceptable).
Old 10-21-19, 08:46 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,209 Likes on 1,655 Posts

All seasons are going to be your best bet, but it's not going to be drastic. Low profile tires are just plain loud vs. fatter camry tires. We drive performance RWD sports sedan so naturally they'll be a bit on the loud side.

As far as PSI, just go with whats on the door jamb, for quietness. more psi over recommended=definitely louder.

Quick Reply: IS 350 tires