IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Need help shipping car from CA to Atlanta, GA

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-18, 04:07 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Need help shipping car from CA to Atlanta, GA

Aside from googling, is there a safe and cost effective way of doing this?

I was also thinking of asking the Lexus Dealership to add my car along to one of their shipments. Jus trying to think outside the box.

Appreciate the help.
Old 11-09-18, 05:55 PM
trstnhn
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I'm in need of shipping my car from ATL to CA (San Diego). We can just swap cars, deal?

Jokes aside, the average cost to ship it exposed seems to be around $800~$900. If you want to put the car in a container, then the price seems to jump about 50%.
Old 11-09-18, 06:08 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Lol!

Yeah, from what I gathered $800 -$1200 was the range I found. I know of someone who shipped their car (Acura TL) from San Diego to ATL for $800 on an unexposed trailer. I'll ask him tomorrow what shipper he used. Apparently, based on google searches, there are a lot of scams on car shipping businesses out there. No idea if thats true or not.

I left a message on my Service Manager's voicemail and hopefully he'll get back to me with something positive.

I'm already in Atlanta, and been stuck using a 2017 Nissan Versa as a rental. Car is a POS, but its made me really appreciate everything the Lexus has. The Nissan has it beat on MPG. Was pleasantly surprised to be getting 40 mpg on the hwy!
Old 11-09-18, 06:16 PM
trstnhn
Rookie

Originally Posted by RageRacerM
Lol!

Yeah, from what I gathered $800 -$1200 was the range I found. I know of someone who shipped their car (Acura TL) from San Diego to ATL for $800 on an unexposed trailer. I'll ask him tomorrow what shipper he used. Apparently, based on google searches, there are a lot of scams on car shipping businesses out there. No idea if thats true or not.

I left a message on my Service Manager's voicemail and hopefully he'll get back to me with something positive.

I'm already in Atlanta, and been stuck using a 2017 Nissan Versa as a rental. Car is a POS, but its made me really appreciate everything the Lexus has. The Nissan has it beat on MPG. Was pleasantly surprised to be getting 40 mpg on the hwy!
Yeah, Lexus IS is something special even though it is just a near luxury. If I can ship my car unexposed for $800, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. As of right now, I'm planning a road trip: ATL - Dallas - Las Vegas - LA - San Diego. I'm going to the dealership tomorrow so I'm gonna see what they can do for me.
Old 11-09-18, 06:27 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

ATL straight to Dallas? I think the last time I drove, it was ATL - Little Rock - Oklahoma City - Amarillo, TX - Flagstaff, AZ - Los Angeles. Definitely took a lot of stops....

And alright, please let me know what the dealership says to you. How soon are you trying to ship your car? Im hoping to ship sometime before Thanksgiving, if possible.

And off topic: Does it always rain this frequently in Atlanta?! Last time I was here was during the summer and just remember it being hot and a bit muggy.
Old 11-09-18, 06:33 PM
trstnhn
Rookie

Nope, not straight to Dallas. I would have to make stops in between but those stops will probably be for the sole purpose or resting and re-energizing before moving on. The stops I mentioned would be where I would actually spend the time to enjoy myself.

It's been a bit rainy since last week. I wouldn't say Atlanta is always this rainy though since sometimes you can go for a bit without rain.

I will keep you posted on what the dealer says tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
RageRacerM (11-09-18)
Old 11-10-18, 08:15 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

ATL straight to Dallas? I think the last time I drove, it was ATL - Little Rock - Oklahoma City - Amarillo, TX - Flagstaff, AZ - Los Angeles. Definitely took a lot of stops....

And alright, please let me know what the dealership says to you. How soon are you trying to ship your car? Im hoping to ship sometime before Thanksgiving, if possible.

And off topic: Does it always rain this frequently in Atlanta?! Last time I was here was during the summer and just remember it being hot and a bit muggy.
Yea it always rains a lot around this time here in Atlanta lol.
Old 11-12-18, 12:50 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Lol!

I think having the dealer ship the car will cost you significantly more than if you were to contract out a different entity. Yes, there are many car shipping businesses that either are not legit or offer very limited insurance coverage in the event that something happens during the roadtrip. If you're planning on shipping a new car, I would ship it in a closed container (just me) but expect to spend upwards to $1500-2000 for a "quality" transporter and that also depends on how quickly you want it delivered and how straightforward the route would be. If you decide to go down this route of contracting on your own vs. the dealer, at the minimum I would:
  • Make sure you know what the carrier's insurance policy covers and what it does not
  • Know how many vehicles are being shipped with your particular transport
  • Know where they can ship it to (whether another dealership or some other location where you can meet up with the carrier)
For reference, I had my wife's old car shipped ~300 miles open and it costed roughly $500 but in that scenario we didn't really care if it got banged up during the shipment.
RageRacerM (11-12-18)
Old 11-16-18, 12:27 AM
trstnhn
Rookie

Hey RageRacerM,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I spoke to the Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett and they said they don't know of anyone that ships cars to the west coast because all they do is ship cars locally.

From what I've gathered, the person that shipped his/her car from SD -> ATL unexposed got his deal of the lifetime and we probably won't be getting in on such a sweet sweet deal. Exposed for $800 seems very doable though. I wonder if they'll let me cover up the vehicle with an automobile cover. ��

Last edited by trstnhn; 11-16-18 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-16-18, 02:45 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

@Fantality thanks for the update. I had a change of plans myself and will be flying back to California to pick it up. Long story. Lol, but again, appreciate the update. My Lexus guy never got back to me, but it didn’t matter cause of my plan change.
Old 11-19-18, 01:12 PM
Sayount
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aside from googling, is there a safe and cost effective way of doing this?

I was also thinking of asking the Lexus Dealership to add my car along to one of their shipments. Jus trying to think outside the box.

Appreciate the help.
i shipped my fiancé’s car from CA to OH for $600 using Montway Auto Transport. She has a Honda Fit, but I don’t think the IS would be any more than that. They wanted $800 for my full size Silverado.*
RageRacerM (11-19-18)
Old 11-19-18, 07:02 PM
kr2015
Driver School Candidate

For anyone else interested, the vendor I used as part of a corporate move was ReloTrans.