IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Keyless Entry Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-18, 08:44 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 784 Likes on 401 Posts
Default Keyless Entry Sensors

After I got my car wrapped I lost my keyless entry. Both lock and unlock. I'm at the point now where Im wanting that feature back Im not so worried about the lock function since I can set the car to automatically lock after a certain time of the doors shutting. I might also add I'm about to buy one of the card keys from the dealer so I can just keep it in my wallet and not worry about my keys anymore. Does anybody have a diagram of where the unlock sensors are? Id like to avoid taking the door panel off to remove the exterior handle, but If thats what i need to do to unwrap the sensors then thats what it takes. I looked around but i didnt see the sensor.
Old 11-05-18, 09:53 AM
a1rh3adsz
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe the auto lock fuction only works when you hit the unlock button and have not opened the door in X amount of time and the door will lock when you have it set to X amount of time. Once you open any door the feature will not lock any doors for you until you hit the lock button.
Old 11-06-18, 08:20 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by a1rh3adsz
I believe the auto lock fuction only works when you hit the unlock button and have not opened the door in X amount of time and the door will lock when you have it set to X amount of time. Once you open any door the feature will not lock any doors for you until you hit the lock button.
Either way I still am looking for the location of the unlock sensors. Worst case scenario i dewrap the lock dimple.
Old 11-06-18, 08:44 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

There are multiple receivers, one of which is in the driver footwell I believe. It sounds like either something was plugged out during the installation, or the wrap is possibly metallic-based, which is blocking the signal.
Old 11-06-18, 08:46 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by yardie876
There are multiple receivers, one of which is in the driver footwell I believe. It sounds like either something was plugged out during the installation, or the wrap is possibly metallic-based, which is blocking the signal.
Is there not a physical sensor on the handle? Like a capacitive touch sensor? Before the wrap the car only unlocked when my hand was placed on the backside of the handle
Old 11-06-18, 09:43 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Is there not a physical sensor on the handle? Like a capacitive touch sensor? Before the wrap the car only unlocked when my hand was placed on the backside of the handle
Yes, the physical capacitive sensors are on the handle. First step I'd try is having the shop remove the wrap off the rear of the handles and see if the unlock sensors at least work. If not, then it's something else.
Old 11-06-18, 09:45 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by yardie876
Yes, the physical capacitive sensors are on the handle. First step I'd try is having the shop remove the wrap off the rear of the handles and see if the unlock sensors at least work. If not, then it's something else.
Is it possible to just unwrap the sensors? the shop that wrapped it is about an hour away, so id like to try and unwrap it myself. Do you know the exact location of those sensors?
Old 11-06-18, 04:43 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Is it possible to just unwrap the sensors? the shop that wrapped it is about an hour away, so id like to try and unwrap it myself. Do you know the exact location of those sensors?
The inner side of the handle (where your palm rests pulling the handle) is the unlock sensor. If that's where the problem is (my guess is it is) you'd have to carefully cut the wrap to expose the inside of the handle, but keep it from peeling off the front of the handle. That's why I would have tried the shop.
Old 11-07-18, 06:20 AM
Ajowhan
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I would try cutting out the wrap on the inner part of the handle as well, those are the part that your hand has to wave through to unlock the door. I have had this in my mind when the option of wrapping the car first came up..
Old 11-07-18, 09:01 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by Ajowhan
I would try cutting out the wrap on the inner part of the handle as well, those are the part that your hand has to wave through to unlock the door. I have had this in my mind when the option of wrapping the car first came up..
Is the inner side of the handle the same color as the paint? Sorry for all these stupid comments but I dont want to marr up the back of my handle if its thats not where the vinyl is. Is the bottom side of handle(not back) the sensor? or where exactly is it? A diagram would be helpful
Old 11-07-18, 09:15 AM
Ajowhan
Driver

Is the inner side of the handle the same color as the paint? Sorry for all these stupid comments but I dont want to marr up the back of my handle if its thats not where the vinyl is. Is the bottom side of handle(not back) the sensor? or where exactly is it? A diagram would be helpful
nah, nothing stupid about your comment at all. It looks like the sensor run all the way from front to back of handle from top to bottom. If you press in the vinyl, you might be able to find crease where the sensor meet the handle and you can do your cut in there.

i try but couldnt get a clear pic as it is cloudy right now, I will try with afternoon sun
The following users liked this post:
Pittsy (11-07-18)
Old 11-07-18, 10:09 AM
Pittsy
Racer

nah, nothing stupid about your comment at all. It looks like the sensor run all the way from front to back of handle from top to bottom. If you press in the vinyl, you might be able to find crease where the sensor meet the handle and you can do your cut in there.

i try but couldnt get a clear pic as it is cloudy right now, I will try with afternoon sun
Thanks, since everything is black it's hard to distinguish what is what.
Old 11-07-18, 05:49 PM
Ajowhan
Driver

So if you see this pic, you can clearly see where handle end and where sensor begin, whole of the back of the handle is the sensor. same thing on the bottom, couldnt get a good pic coz of shadow.. but you can definitely try to feel it from the vinyl using your finger nail first maybe?
Old 11-07-18, 05:51 PM
Pittsy
Racer

So if you see this pic, you can clearly see where handle end and where sensor begin, whole of the back of the handle is the sensor. same thing on the bottom, couldnt get a good pic coz of shadow.. but you can definitely try to feel it from the vinyl using your finger nail first maybe?
Okay, here is a pic of mine. looks like this part is unwrapped!! any clues as to what it could be then? i lost this feature when i got the car wrapped so i’m not sure what it could be?

Old 11-07-18, 07:18 PM
Ajowhan
Driver

Okay, here is a pic of mine. looks like this part is unwrapped!! any clues as to what it could be then? i lost this feature when i got the car wrapped so i’m not sure what it could be?

so its not the sensor, and its not the key, obviously keyless start still works?
how about when you approach the car? Does the light turns on? Does the car know when you are nearby?

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry Sensors