Tire Oppinions - All Season

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-18, 12:58 PM
ZISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tire Oppinions - All Season

Hi Fam.

Looking at a few options, need new all season tires for the gorgeous winters we have here in Canada

Torn between the following.
Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02
Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+
Pirelli P-Zero AS+

Any input or personal experience. Looking for noise levels and tread wear
Old 08-08-18, 02:24 PM
Napalvr
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Don’t dismiss Continental DWS. I’ve had them on my summer rims for 4 yrs and will definitely buy again
Old 08-08-18, 02:38 PM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

I have BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S and think they are great. I do a lot of highway driving in up here in New England and they are great besides the tires being a bit louder than expected. They were installed on my car at 28k miles and now my car has 53k miles and they have plenty of tread left.
Old 08-08-18, 04:59 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Conti DWS is a great tire for those in the midwest, liek Napalvr said, they are not to be dismissed.
I've tried numerous and while those listed above are great, at least for our needs here, the DWS (and their newer DWS06 line too) has done quite well.
Old 08-08-18, 08:38 PM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I have pirelli pzero a/s+ on my front wheels. They are definitely good tires. I have had them in my 328i as well. I feel like road noise has increased slightly compared to the stock high perf summer tires. But i wanted something that will last more than 10k miles.
Old 08-09-18, 01:04 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Michelin anything, in any category, is going to be the absolute best. Now whether or not you necessarily need the best is up to you. If you can sacrifice a little performance, then Continental, Dunlop, Hankook are all great choices. Keep in mind our cars eat through front tires fast so there's less to gain by going straight to the most expensive tire.
Old 08-10-18, 10:51 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,897 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by tofuprod
Conti DWS is a great tire for those in the midwest, liek Napalvr said, they are not to be dismissed.
I've tried numerous and while those listed above are great, at least for our needs here, the DWS (and their newer DWS06 line too) has done quite well.
Originally Posted by E46CT
Michelin anything, in any category, is going to be the absolute best. Now whether or not you necessarily need the best is up to you. If you can sacrifice a little performance, then Continental, Dunlop, Hankook are all great choices. Keep in mind our cars eat through front tires fast so there's less to gain by going straight to the most expensive tire.
For me I still haven't decided whether I want the A/S 3+ or the DWS06. Those are my top picks. I am thinking I'll probably be putting new tires on in September - mine are getting close to the wear bars now, so will post back with my thoughts.
Old 08-10-18, 06:39 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
My dilemma is that I want A/S tires before I head to Europe in December for 3 years so I can go a while not having to buy tires, but the front inner wear would make the Michelin's obsolete so I'm not sure what to do I might have to bite the bullet and transition between decent cheap summer and winter tires over there or just keep buying decent cheap A/S the whole time.
Old 08-12-18, 09:05 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

I got Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ last year and really like them. I can't comment on hard-core snow, but we have occasional snow and lots of rain and I have no complaints. They are quiet and grip well when needed.

However, you will find threads where people complain this tire has a low-frequency hum at about 70+ mph. It actually does, and apparently it bothers some drivers. I never do a lot of highway driving at that speed, and don't notice it when I hit that speed for brief runs. Even when I heard it, I don't think it wouldn't bother me. Radio is always on anyway. That said, if you spend hours behind the wheel at that those speeds you may notice it.
Old 08-12-18, 09:07 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Louder
I got Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ last year and really like them. I can't comment on hard-core snow, but we have occasional snow and lots of rain and I have no complaints. They are quiet and grip well when needed.

However, you will find threads where people complain this tire has a low-frequency hum at about 70+ mph. It actually does, and apparently it bothers some drivers. I never do a lot of highway driving at that speed, and don't notice it when I hit that speed for brief runs. Even when I heard it, I don't think it wouldn't bother me. Radio is always on anyway. That said, if you spend hours behind the wheel at that those speeds you may notice it.
How’s the front tire wear? Is it even for you or are you getting the inner wear everyone experiences?
Old 08-13-18, 06:13 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

I went with the Cooper Zeon RS3-G1, so far I am pleased with them. I believe they’re just as quiet as the stock Bridgestone tires. Wear seems to be doing well, I’ve only driven 6k on them so far. They handle in the wet and dry well, and from what I researched, should do well in the snow I have to deal with here. Just wanted to throw an extra choice out there in case you hadn’t looked at them.
Old 08-13-18, 08:41 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5

How’s the front tire wear? Is it even for you or are you getting the inner wear everyone experiences?
I just checked - tread depth on the inner and outer seem identical, both to the ruler and the eyeball. Tires have 12k on them, I also have a 16 200t F-Sport, so I'm not sure if the wear is specific to certain years or not.
Old 08-14-18, 07:08 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Anyone have experience with the Bridgestone Potenza RE980 AS PP? I think it's a pretty new tire, but Costco is running a promotion on Bridgestones right now - $129 off for a set of four - so I figured I'd ask.
Old 08-14-18, 08:44 AM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Having put 600 miles on my front PZero A/S tires, the road noise has definitely gone up compared to stock summer tires. So if you are OK with that, go for it. The RE980AS are good tires.

For me, I will go back to summer tires once I get through these front all-seasons. I like the quieter car better. Esp in the texas grated freeways.
Old 08-14-18, 08:59 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Gsr3is
Having put 600 miles on my front PZero A/S tires, the road noise has definitely gone up compared to stock summer tires. So if you are OK with that, go for it. The RE980AS are good tires.

For me, I will go back to summer tires once I get through these front all-seasons. I like the quieter car better. Esp in the texas grated freeways.
Hrm, I am confused. Have you owned both the Potenzas and the P Zeroes? But yeah reviews look mostly positive on the RE980AS. I don't think Costco even offers the P Zero in stock IS sizes. The only other options I have are the BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S and the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. (What a mouthful those are!) I've heard the BFGoodrich tires are good too, and much cheaper than any of the other options if you ignore the discount being run on Bridgestones.

Quick Reply: Tire Oppinions - All Season