IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rotors and Brakes Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-18, 11:09 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Rotors and Brakes Question

I know this may have been asked a few times but just wanted to check in once again.

At 13k miles. my brakes are squealing and it sounds like they are rubbing against the rotors when driving. From looking through the forum it looks like replacing brakes at 13k isn't uncommon. I picked up a set of Akebono ACT 1118 to put in instead of the OEM brakes which produce too much brake dust, I know I may lose a bit of the "biting" but I'll test it out to see how it is.

My question is, would you recommend replacing the rotors at this point as well or just resurface them? I was told if I resurface, they probably wont last too long and will possibly warp soon in around 5k miles or so.

If I should get new ones, I saw I can get OEM F-Sport rotors for $75 each, would you recommend using the OEM rotors with the Akebono brake pads?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!!
Old 07-28-18, 11:25 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

I’m using the Akebono ASP 1118’s (the “performance” version of the Akebonos) with my stock rotors. I changed them at 4,000 miles since I couldn’t stand the brake dust anymore and didn’t resurface the rotors. It’s been fine so far but at 13,000 I would just get new rotors to go with the new pads that way you can be sure everything is good and don’t have to get in there all over again if the rotors warp or become too thin. That’s what I would personally do.
The following users liked this post:
premier3IS (07-29-18)
Old 07-28-18, 11:26 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 115 Posts

I am running OEM rotors and Akebono pads and they are great. Minimal amount of dust and squealing. They also have a similar bite to F-Sport pads.

If the rotor is worn down to the minimum thickness- just buy new rotors. I would just buy new rotors along with new pads because to me makes no sense to pay someone to replace the old ones 5k miles later.
Old 07-28-18, 01:15 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

If the rotors can be machined and still be above minimum thickness, then do that, and when the pads wear out, just replace everything at that time.
If the rotors are badly scored, and can't be machined, then obviously there is no choice but to replace.
Old 07-28-18, 01:20 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
If the rotors can be machined and still be above minimum thickness, then do that, and when the pads wear out, just replace everything at that time.
If the rotors are badly scored, and can't be machined, then obviously there is no choice but to replace.
I think he is worried that the pads will outlast the rotors after he gets them machined and doesn’t want to replace the rotors later if the pads are still good. There odds are very high the Akebono pads will outlast his current rotors no matter what.
Old 07-28-18, 01:26 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5

I think he is worried that the pads will outlast the rotors after he gets them machined and doesn’t want to replace the rotors later if the pads are still good. There odds are very high the Akebono pads will outlast his current rotors no matter what.
That's a fair point.
Realistically if it sounds like it's metal to metal already, the rotors are likely garbage at this point.
Typically you can only machine off 2mm in total, so that's 1mm per side...which ain't a whole hell of a lot.
The rotors are probably around 28mm (don't know the exact spec) brand new...so minimum would be 26mm overall.
Old 07-28-18, 01:28 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

That's a fair point.
Realistically if it sounds like it's metal to metal already, the rotors are likely garbage at this point.
Typically you can only machine off 2mm in total, so that's 1mm per side...which ain't a whole hell of a lot.
The rotors are probably around 28mm (don't know the exact spec) brand new...so minimum would be 26mm overall.
At his mileage on the current rotors, I would just replace them along with the pads. It’s the best option for performance, safety, and longevity.
Old 07-28-18, 04:57 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

If you change the pads early enough, you CAN machine them. Sounds to me like it wasn't early enough.

I always encouraged people to change rotors at the same time, its worth it. To machine the rotors used to be $30 each, cost of replacing since the labor is already being done is well worth it.
Old 07-29-18, 12:10 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Flash5

Exactly. Don't want the pads to outlast the rotors and have to take it in again to get them changed when I can just do it all at once now. Even if I resurface now, they'll be worn out pretty soon so I think I'll take the advice to swap them out now.

The shop said it'll cost the same to resurface the rotors and put in the new pads, or to have new rotors put in and brakes done (provided that I give them the brakes and rotors I want) since it's about the same amount of labor.
Old 07-29-18, 12:16 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Also, I'm assuming it's common to see this at this early of a mileage? Anyone else same issue?
Old 07-29-18, 05:50 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Looking to confirm the part numbers for the OEM rotors. 2016 IS200T F-Sport.

Front Passenger Side - 43512-22260
Front Driver Side - 43516-22010

Are these the correct rotors? Thank you.
Old 07-30-18, 08:06 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

At around the same mileage, I had some squealing as well. I got the rotors resurfaced, and the problem hasn't come back since. At 20k now. However, if the rotors are in contact with the pads all the time, that might make resurfacing infeasible.
Old 07-30-18, 08:24 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,571 Posts

you're only allowed to wear 1mm on each side of the rotor. so if you have a lip you can feel with your fingernail, your rotor is pretty much done. replace them.

please link to your $150 price source for genuine front rotors?
Old 07-31-18, 09:22 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by E46CT
you're only allowed to wear 1mm on each side of the rotor. so if you have a lip you can feel with your fingernail, your rotor is pretty much done. replace them.

please link to your $150 price source for genuine front rotors?
On my above message with the hyperlink to the part number, it takes you directly to the rotors.

Its from Lexuspartsnow.com, are they legit?
Old 07-31-18, 09:26 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Not bad. How much is shipping?

I got a set of Meyle rotors off eBay for $109 shipped. got 1,000 miles on them so far. glass smooth performance and i brake very hard frequently from high speeds. very happy with them.

Quick Reply: Rotors and Brakes Question